Bluetooth - Two Device Capability?

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
As I've been settling in to Mach-E ownership, I've been finding an annoyance with the way the SYNC menus are structured, specifically around Bluetooth Audio, phone pairing, etc.

My scenario is simply that I want to listen to streamed audio and podcasts, and occasionally make phone calls.

The complication is that the phone I want to stream Bluetooth Audio from is "Phone #1" (an iPhone), and the phone I want to make phone calls with is "Phone #2 (an Android).

Right now, if I'm driving down the road listening to audio from Phone #1, and I want to call someone, I have to dive through menus to get to the phone select screen, then select Phone #2, then "Connect Phone" then wait, then make the call, and when the call concludes, I need to then go back through the menus, click Phone #1, click "Connect Bluetooth Media."

This is pretty annoying having to flip flop phones during a drive, especially on longer drives.

I can't seem to figure out how to pair both devices simultaneously and designate one as the primary device for phone calls. Am I missing something, or does SYNC not support this (yet?)?

Both of these devices have the same FordPass account signed in, and both are active PAAKs... so I assume the vehicle does have some way of seeing 2 phones at once for PAAK.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Do most cars let you use two phones through Bluetooth at the same time?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
On my screen it show one of the phone numbers with a star and I assume its the preferred for first set up number. But I dont see how the car will switch between the phones automatically - if you are using BT from phone 2 and want calls from phone 1 it still needs to disconnect 1 and connect the other - I dont think the car features that yet. The change process is another matter and yes is several steps of wading through screens.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As I've been settling in to Mach-E ownership, I've been finding an annoyance with the way the SYNC menus are structured, specifically around Bluetooth Audio, phone pairing, etc.

My scenario is simply that I want to listen to streamed audio and podcasts, and occasionally make phone calls.

The complication is that the phone I want to stream Bluetooth Audio from is "Phone #1" (an iPhone), and the phone I want to make phone calls with is "Phone #2 (an Android).

Right now, if I'm driving down the road listening to audio from Phone #1, and I want to call someone, I have to dive through menus to get to the phone select screen, then select Phone #2, then "Connect Phone" then wait, then make the call, and when the call concludes, I need to then go back through the menus, click Phone #1, click "Connect Bluetooth Media."

This is pretty annoying having to flip flop phones during a drive, especially on longer drives.

I can't seem to figure out how to pair both devices simultaneously and designate one as the primary device for phone calls. Am I missing something, or does SYNC not support this (yet?)?

Both of these devices have the same FordPass account signed in, and both are active PAAKs... so I assume the vehicle does have some way of seeing 2 phones at once for PAAK.
Can you just stream your audio through the Android phone instead? Android Auto may be able to handle all that.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
With all those different media options - there can only be one connection. Straight BT only or disconnect and connect via Car Play or Google Auto to stream from your phone apps; or use car audio streams as long as you are not on CarPlay or Google Auto wifi.

Sadly its not even easy to change audio streams like XM or Pandora or Am, FM quickly from the steering wheel as far as I could figure out yet.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag

Uh..pardon my asking.....Why do you carry two phones???? And How? One belt pouch is enough for me.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I haven't tried any audio source but Bluetooth and I am probably unlikely to. On that note, I was surprised Bluetooth wasn't an option on the Radio screen but Sirius was. Is Sirius really that popular? I don't think I've ever met someone that paid once the trial ran out. I was surprised to see Ford still putting Sirius in the cars.
Yeah but BT connect/disconnect and Carplay/AA stickies will show up on bottom portion of the screen once you connect to them and you can ignore the SXM.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Uh..pardon my asking.....Why do you carry two phones???? And How? One belt pouch is enough for me.
Not speaking for the OP but i can see a scenario where you have personal phone and work phone. WOrk phone these days has lots of security stuff and may restrict personal use - so have both. Driving and listening to personal music /audio but calls on office phone come in. This scenario exists at several work places I am aware of

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Sirius really that popular? I don't think I've ever met someone that paid once the trial ran out. I was surprised to see Ford still putting Sirius in the cars.
With over 34 million subscribers, yes SXM is very popular. Are there any new cars besides Tesla that don’t offer it?

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
When my wife and I are both in the same vehicle, our 2021 GMC does connect both out phones. So any calls or incoming alerts it detects both simultaneously. Same goes for attempting to stream music from one or the other.

It will not use both for android auto though. Not that you would ever need that much.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unfortunately the data costs are extremely high on the plan which contains my actual phone # (thanks cell carriers!) so I can not use the same device for streaming and phone calls.
I see. Have you tried connecting one via USB cable and the other by Bluetooth? No idea if that would work but something else to try.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I haven't tried any audio source but Bluetooth and I am probably unlikely to. On that note, I was surprised Bluetooth wasn't an option on the Radio screen but Sirius was. Is Sirius really that popular? I don't think I've ever met someone that paid once the trial ran out. I was surprised to see Ford still putting Sirius in the cars.
I pay for SiriusXM. I like it. While the audio quality leaves something to be desired, there is programming I enjoy. Also, SiriusXM TravelLink is very useful in cars with navigation. That way, the navigation system knows where there’s congestion and will automatically reroute you.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I see. Have you tried connecting one via USB cable and the other by Bluetooth? No idea if that would work but something else to try.
This ftw