Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ford coming in and asking for your VIN number in 3... 2... 1... :)
The platform is designed for it. The Mach-E can tow 1000 kg / 2200 lb in Europe. Unknown why no towing is allowed in US, could be legal, regulatory, or for marketing reasons.

Note: In Europe towing speed is limited to 60 MPH and 165 lb max tongue weight. If you account for speed the US limit would likely be around 1500 lbs if it were certified.

Official Ford Europe Press Release: Mustang Mach-E Gets Towing Capacity Boost As Ford’s All-Electric SUV Continues to Draw New Customers to the Brand

Ford Mustang Mach-E Boat Towing in the Mach! 2022_FORD_MACH-E_TOWING
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Luda07

Luda07

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E and Explorer Sport
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
The platform is designed for it. The Mach-E can tow 1000 kg / 2200 lb in Europe. Unknown why no towing is allowed in US, could be legal, regulatory, or for marketing reasons.

Note: In Europe towing speed is limited to 60 MPH and 165 lb max tongue weight. If you account for speed the US limit would likely be around 1500 lbs if it were certified.

Official Ford Europe Press Release: Mustang Mach-E Gets Towing Capacity Boost As Ford’s All-Electric SUV Continues to Draw New Customers to the Brand

Ford Mustang Mach-E Boat Towing in the Mach! dd0
I hope they have mercy on me and assume I am of European descent! I heard about the Euro design and made sure to stay well below the numbers they listed.

OP
OP
Luda07

Luda07

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E and Explorer Sport
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Boat Towing in the Mach! dd0
I bet you’d have trouble selling a cross-over in Europe that couldn’t tow a trailer.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

While I've no idea why Ford doesn't support towing on the US Mach Es, from my time living in Europe I do know that European-spec cars often have many different components as compared to their US counterparts. Some of the spec differences are obvious (e.g., matrix headlights), but others could be deep down inside.... For instance, might the European-spec cars maybe have a more robust set of contactors??? Hmmm.

(To be clear, this is 100% speculation, so please no flaming!)

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
While I've no idea why Ford doesn't support towing on the US Mach Es, from my time living in Europe I do know that European-spec cars often have many different components as compared to their US counterparts. Some of the spec differences are obvious (e.g., matrix headlights), but others could be deep down inside.... For instance, might the European-spec cars maybe have a more robust set of contactors??? Hmmm.

I test drove the id4. It had towing capability. I got in it and had to YouTube how to “turn it on”. Keyfob in your pocket, it already is on. Then I go driving, try to fiddle on the little landscape screen, I can’t work the climate controls. Then I pull up in my driveway to take the Wife for a spin. I can’t figure out how to use the “windshield wiper switch to go to park. Pull up YouTube. Its a Button on the end of the wiper/gear selector. Anyway, way too European for me. Electric ‘Stang hands down. Thinking about doing the Ford Performance Eluminator crate motor on the front of my Select. Lol. No 5 second limit……….

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

Just asking for a friend... where would one acquire these European contactors :) starting rumors is so fun.

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

Note on your note….that 165lb (75kg) tongue weight I believe was in the original manual when the tow rate was 750kg. When they boosted the towing capacity in the article you listed to 1000kg nothing was mentioned about boosting the tongue weight but my understanding of trailer pulling is you want your tongue weight to be 10% of your pull weight. So if one were to pull 1000kg / 2200 lbs then the tongue weight would be 100kg/220 lbs, exceeding what the original spec was.

Sorry for digging up an old post but I was just searching the forums for this as we’d like to get a hitch receiver for a bike rack yet our ebikes are 70 lbs each and the carrier is 46 lbs….196 lbs worth of stuff hanging off that hitch receiver.

Edit: Those receivers by various companies are rated for that, but is the MME what I’m wondering. Specifically looking at the upcoming stealth hitch (https://stealthhitches.com/products/ford-hitch-shr11001?rq=yr_2021~mk_ford~md_mustang-mach-e) and I think it is going to require removing the fascia for the install, but without instructions yet I’m not sure if it has reinforced plates going through like the EU official hitch does.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Note on your note….that 165lb (75kg) tongue weight I believe was in the original manual when the tow rate was 750kg. When they boosted the towing capacity in the article you listed to 1000kg nothing was mentioned about boosting the tongue weight but my understanding of trailer pulling is you want your tongue weight to be 10% of your pull weight. So if one were to pull 1000kg / 2200 lbs then the tongue weight would be 100kg/220 lbs, exceeding what the original spec was.

Sorry for digging up an old post but I was just searching the forums for this as we’d like to get a hitch receiver for a bike rack yet our ebikes are 70 lbs each and the carrier is 46 lbs….196 lbs worth of stuff hanging off that hitch receiver.

Edit: Those receivers by various companies are rated for that, but is the MME what I’m wondering. Specifically looking at the upcoming stealth hitch (https://stealthhitches.com/products/ford-hitch-shr11001?rq=yr_2021~mk_ford~md_mustang-mach-e) and I think it is going to require removing the fascia for the install, but without instructions yet I’m not sure if it has reinforced plates going through like the EU official hitch does.
In the 2022 manual the vertical weight limit went down to 30 kg (66 lb) so I'm not sure what's up. Personally I think 200± lbs is a good number to go with. If you get a hitch rack keep it short so the load isn't more than 2' behind the bumper.

I don't like that stealth hitch because it replaces the rear bumper/crash structure and I feel that's a safety issue. That's a completely different design than the EU hitch.

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
In the 2022 manual the vertical weight limit went down to 30 kg (66 lb) so I'm not sure what's up. Personally I think 200± lbs is a good number to go with. If you get a hitch rack keep it short so the load isn't more than 2' behind the bumper.

I don't like that stealth hitch because it replaces the rear bumper/crash structure and I feel that's a safety issue. That's a completely different design than the EU hitch.
Thanks for your thoughts. What is nice about the steal hitch is the removable receiver for the winter time when we wouldn’t be biking. The EU hitch actually looks removable as well, but of course it is on the other side of the ocean.

But I agree, the stealth hitch isn’t ideal if it is rplacing the bumper/crash structure.
Sponsored