Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm just talking about major milestones.....
when a package, or car, or anything gets passed between one team and the next... if it's recorded in a database, it can trigger an email automatically. No person has to dig around or make any extra effort once the IT get it set up; all triggered by the database itself.

Just like UPS or amazon tracking emails when you order something.
That's assuming a single cohesive system. In reality that assumption doesn't hold.

My wife ordered a package for her aunt from a northern jersey etsy vendor on december 9th, and paid for priority 2 day shipping to our house in southern NJ. According to the vendor, they shipped it on december 10th. USPS said they picked it up that day. The next update was christmas week saying that it arrived in newark, NJ. Finally last week USPS indicated it reached our local post office. She got the package last friday.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I'm just talking about major milestones.....
when a package, or car, or anything gets passed between one team and the next... if it's recorded in a database, it can trigger an email automatically. No person has to dig around or make any extra effort once the IT get it set up; all triggered by the database itself.

Just like UPS or amazon tracking emails when you order something.
Depends on the database. You know some of these systems originated before e-mail was a thing...

I am pretty sure that major milestones can be programmed to trigger an e-mail automatically. "VIN xxxxxx just checked in at Anytown, USA Rail Ramp 3"
Who gets that e-mail? The customer? That would be the dealership. Who at the dealership gets that e-mail? How long would you be comfortable waiting for that person to check that mailbox and then try and figure out how to forward it so someone?

And then don't forget that Ford isn't technically allowed to sell their vehicles to the end user so providing this level of detail to you or anyone else that has these on order could be in violation of some of the archaic law on the books in many states.

I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer.....just trying to be realistic. This is really a master case of it's easier said than done. Much, much, much easier said than done.

Someday it will happen. Not holding my breath though.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Depends on the database. You know some of these systems originated before e-mail was a thing...

I am pretty sure that major milestones can be programmed to trigger an e-mail automatically. "VIN xxxxxx just checked in at Anytown, USA Rail Ramp 3"
Who gets that e-mail? The customer? That would be the dealership. Who at the dealership gets that e-mail? How long would you be comfortable waiting for that person to check that mailbox and then try and figure out how to forward it so someone?

And then don't forget that Ford isn't technically allowed to sell their vehicles to the end user so providing this level of detail to you or anyone else that has these on order could be in violation of some of the archaic law on the books in many states.

I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer.....just trying to be realistic. This is really a master case of it's easier said than done. Much, much, much easier said than done.

Someday it will happen. Not holding my breath though.
Besides, the dealership can already access much of that through Vehicle Visibility. Through a very helpful person (not my dealer), I now know that my Mach E has been unloaded in KC!

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yeah, unless you have access to the dealer's database you are going to have to piece it together yourself. First you need a VIN. Get it from your dealer or mine it from the data in your ford.com owner's website (assuming you got a reservation and then converted it to an order using that new system).

When you have the VIN, enter it in the tracking website shown here:
1610556464782.png

In that screen....if you see a date here, then it is built.

1610556569686.png

I have long suspected that our "My Order" webpage won't update to "Built" status until it actually is released for shipping. I think the programming is such that it activates that icon once the status changes away from "In Production".

If I was a manufacturer then I wouldn't tell my customer their product is ready until it's out the door and on a truck. Just thinking out loud a bit....
Just want to say that this response was helpful, polite, thoughtful, and very nice. Much better than some of the responses from others (IMHO). Thank you.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
That's assuming a single cohesive system. In reality that assumption doesn't hold.

My wife ordered a package for her aunt from a northern jersey etsy vendor on december 9th, and paid for priority 2 day shipping to our house in southern NJ. According to the vendor, they shipped it on december 10th. USPS said they picked it up that day. The next update was christmas week saying that it arrived in newark, NJ. Finally last week USPS indicated it reached our local post office. She got the package last friday.
And, that helps to explain why USPS is losing more money than most of us could count. I think a lot of comments are seeking best practices. USPS has been hampered, apparently by intent. Let's hope Ford can seek and emulate some best practices.

Last edited:

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Besides, the dealership can already access much of that through Vehicle Visibility. Through a very helpful person (not my dealer), I now know that my Mach E has been unloaded in KC!
If your car has been unloaded in KC, I think there’s a 90% chance mine is with it. It better be! Although the Palsapp site didn’t indicate so.

efortune

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Ordered a grabber blue FE and the Ford site shows my reservation with a picture of a grabber blue. When I scrape my VIN and use the VIN tracker, it shows the vehicle as red.

It also shows production date of 11/19 and primary status as "In Transit" but there's no ship date or transit date.

Is the record just bad or do I have a red car on the way?

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
So I guess what this article is saying is the Detroit automakers didn't go bankrupt ~12 years ago, the crushing retiree health care and pension benefits cost were just a "manufactured crisis".

Let the Post Office stop contributing to retirement health care and pensions, and just tell all current employees they are screwed, and shouldn't plan on seeing a cent of retirement benefits. Problem solved, the Post Office is now wildly profitable. EZ-PZ.

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag
So I guess what this article is saying is the Detroit automakers didn't go bankrupt ~12 years ago, the crushing retiree health care and pension benefits cost were just a "manufactured crisis".

Let the Post Office stop contributing to retirement health care and pensions, and just tell all current employees they are screwed, and shouldn't plan on seeing a cent of retirement benefits. Problem solved, the Post Office is now wildly profitable. EZ-PZ.
The problem is Congress is requiring that they fund the retirement plan 75 years into the future. Name any other organization that does that and remains profitable.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Ordered a grabber blue FE and the Ford site shows my reservation with a picture of a grabber blue. When I scrape my VIN and use the VIN tracker, it shows the vehicle as red.

It also shows production date of 11/19 and primary status as "In Transit" but there's no ship date or transit date.

What color is listed on your windows sticker or the tracker's exterior tab?

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag

The answer is the tracking system stinks. But you should run this down with your dealer for sure.
Sponsored