Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Ford was never behind Tesla so why would they need to catch up?

Ford (not including Lincoln) sold over 400,000 vehicles in the US the first quarter of this year. That's just the US versus Tesla's global numbers. Last year Ford's US sales were almost 2 million.
I am a Ford fan... I bought the Mach E for a lot of reasons over a model Y. However, it looks to me like Tesla will sell more cars than Ford does globally by some time in 2024 or 2025 without some big changes. There will be ~1M cars a year coming out of each Tesla plant.
Sponsored

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Can Tesla catch up with Ford in JD Power Vehicle Dependability Survey? Or Initial Quality Survey?

More important question, can they catch up with Chrysler? Or will they fall back below Jaguar and Alfa Romeo?
2021010a.jpg

2021066a.jpg
did you quote jd power? seriously?

no, in the new world of supply chain issues, tesla seems to be a step a head. the price of nickel will be a problem if not already. they have already shifted to LFP. they spend 0 on adverts. i don't like their cars but they are a very well run company.

Last edited:

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Ford should not be concerned with Tesla and worry about the Korean twins. Hyundai has been aiming to produce 9K+ Ioniq 5 per month worldwide and hitting those numbers. Ioniq 5 and EV6 may outsell the Mach-E in the US and worldwide.

Ford seems to be hovering around 5-6K/month.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can Ford catch up to Tesla? 1650062096796

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Ford should not be concerned with Tesla and worry about the Korean twins. Hyundai has been aiming to produce 9K+ Ioniq 5 per month worldwide and hitting those numbers. Ioniq 5 and EV6 may outsell the Mach-E in the US and worldwide.

Ford seems to be hovering around 5-6K/month.

1650062096796.png
very surprised they have capacity to produce that many i5. last i heard was 5k for the year. i might upgrade my trim sooner while they still have rebate

joes723

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE IBSM "LITHEUM"
Country flag
very surprised they have capacity to produce that many i5. last i heard was 5k for the year. i might upgrade my trim sooner while they still have rebate
It helps that they have 3 EV battery manufacturers in the same country where they make the EVs.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
The profit margins on the lightning is too good to pass up. Considering their limited battery and microchip resources, Ford will be scaling up the F-150 lightning far sooner than they will be scaling up the MME. I'm thrilled that we probably can enjoy some MME exclusivity for a little while longer.

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Share will decline as more manufacturers move to EV's Tesla will make and sell a lot of EV's - just not all of them.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The horse will be chasing the carrot for a long time, including, also the competition of all e-cars. It’s just the beginning. Haven’t seen this for a hundred years! Let the competition begin…

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Share will decline as more manufacturers move to EV's Tesla will make and sell a lot of EV's - just not all of them.
The thing is you can't just decide to make EVs without building new factories and finding supply chains for chips and batteries. It's not easy. See how many EVs GM and Ford has managed to make this year so far. Supply chains for parts are scarce

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I have both an MME and Tesla Model 3. They are both great cars but different in many ways.

No, the Tesla doesn't have Apple Car Play or Android Auto. But its proprietary onboard electronics and systems work well. And the Tesla app is far superior to FordPass...

You have to hand it to Elon Musk: He may be a weird guy but most visionaries are. Think Howard Hughes. Musk set out to revolutionize the auto manufacturing industry, and he succeeded. He proved that EVs are viable, and now all the other companies are following his lead. We can thank Elon for the fact that Ford is manufacturing the MME today.

Determined to do business differently, Tesla did away with dealers (and ADM), showrooms, and many other fixtures and traditions of other auto manufacturers. But Tesla's real brilliance was its early investments in the Supercharger network, which made long-distance travel feasible. As others have pointed out, there are advantages to building things like chargers in-house.

No doubt eventually Ford, GM, and the other auto manufacturers will surpass Tesla's production of EVs. I doubt that will surprise Musk; in fact, he'll probably be delighted. After all, he started a movement that is currently sweeping the country and the world!

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Don't see
Do you see the Mustang Mach E selling in similar numbers to the Model Y/3 this year? Next year?
Do not see it happening soon. I think Ford wants to aim for 2nd place in terms of EV for awhile. Unlike Tesla, Ford has non electric vehicles they are also selling.

What do you think is top priority for Ford to start selling ev's in larger quantities?
Significantly Larger quantiles probably not really until 2026 (supply chain issues made that worse by a couple of years).

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
did you quote jd power? seriously?

no, in the new world of supply chain issues, tesla seems to be a step a head. the price of nickel will be a problem if not already. they have already shifted to LFP. they spend 0 on adverts. i don't like their cars but they are a very well run company.
Tesla fanbois attack any source that makes them look bad, so I could have picked just about anything and still get blasted. The fact of the matter is Tesla has inferior quality. Supply chain means nothing when you are putting out crap and letting the customers absorb the detritus.
Sponsored