Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Flex Limited
Occupation
Retired Navy
Country flag
We have a trailer - but towing it becomes problematic - as some campgrounds charge you to dolly it off somewhere and most don't allow you to keep it at your campsite.
Yea... that would be a problem. Space is limited at camp grounds.

Oh well, that thought flew out the window...
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The good news is lots of campgrounds have "overflow" parking areas where you can leave trailers but that really only works at a destination and does add to your costs. For an overnight en route, an RV with towed car is a very long vehicle that (a) goes beyond what many spaces accommodate, and (b) is a pain to maneuver.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I don't see this being any different that my current vehicle. You can't tow it with 4 down. Or 2 down either. I own an AWD vehicle. This car needs to be on a flat bed.

Geesh, if you can own a RV, you can likely afford a flat bed trailer. Your hauling a car. A heavy car, but a car none the less.
That is true it isn't any different from any other vehicle except that many of them are purposely designed to be able to tow 4 down (just about every Jeep for example).

On top of that: Our RV only has a 5000lb hitch which limits us: The Bolt on the dolly comes close to that limit. A Mach-E on a trailer (even an aluminum one) will assuredly go over the limit.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
That is true it isn't any different from any other vehicle except that many of them are purposely designed to be able to tow 4 down (just about every Jeep for example).

On top of that: Our RV only has a 5000lb hitch which limits us: The Bolt on the dolly comes close to that limit. A Mach-E on a trailer (even an aluminum one) will assuredly go over the limit.
A British article lists the MME as having a curb weight of 1,993 kg (4,394 lb). With some lightweight aluminum trailers weighing 1400-2000 lb., you'd definitely need a sturdier hitch!

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Just posting this as an update: Looking through Ford's own 2021 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide. Here is what it says about can the Mach-E be towed:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Can it BE towed? 1608579399105

Good news for Escape Hybrid shoppers with an RV, however.

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Just posting this as an update: Looking through Ford's own 2021 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide. Here is what it says about can the Mach-E be towed:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Can it BE towed? 1608579399105

Good news for Escape Hybrid shoppers with an RV, however.
All lies every car can be towed might have to be on a trailer but they can be towed lol.

But technically that is correct you can not pull a Mach-E behind an RV or a tow truck they have to be on flatbeds or a trailer.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I haven't seen any mention of this and am expecting to not see anything until Ford publishes an owner's manual.
Ford did publish the manual. You can find it here:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/2021-mach-e-user-manual-now-available.2052/
It says:
RECREATIONALLY TOWING YOUR VEHICLE
You cannot recreational tow your vehicle with all wheels on the ground because vehicle or electric drive motor damage could occur. You must recreational tow your vehicle with all four wheels off the ground, such as when using a car-hauling trailer. Otherwise, you cannot recreational tow your vehicle.​

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford did publish the manual. You can find it here:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/2021-mach-e-user-manual-now-available.2052/
It says:
RECREATIONALLY TOWING YOUR VEHICLE
You cannot recreational tow your vehicle with all wheels on the ground because vehicle or electric drive motor damage could occur. You must recreational tow your vehicle with all four wheels off the ground, such as when using a car-hauling trailer. Otherwise, you cannot recreational tow your vehicle.​
Yup and I think that is also mentioned in this thread.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
All lies every car can be towed might have to be on a trailer but they can be towed lol.

But technically that is correct you can not pull a Mach-E behind an RV or a tow truck they have to be on flatbeds or a trailer.
Not a lie at all I just didn't include the table heading on my clip. The table heading reads "flat towing capability".

There are many reasons why I cannot tow the Mach-E behind my RV not just because Ford says I can't--its already too heavy by itself for my RV not counting the aluminum trailer it would have to sit on.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Not a lie at all I just didn't include the table heading on my clip. The table heading reads "flat towing capability".
Aren't flatbed trailer flat? ?

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
As in "recreational towing" (the name of the topic in most owner's manuals): Can it be towed 4 down or on a dolly? Would love to drag it around behind our RV.

Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. The answer for most EV's is NO unless its FWD then, sometimes, it may be towed on a dolly (like our Bolt).

I haven't seen any mention of this and am expecting to not see anything until Ford publishes an owner's manual. I'm also resigned to the fact that it will likely be NO.
The manual is available. It discusses towing.
Here's a link: https://owner.ford.com/tools/accoun...html?year=2021&make=Ford&model=Mustang Mach-E
Sponsored