TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
Seaking recommendations for a car cover to fit the Mach-E.

I'll outline my needs, but if folks have different needs, share them! I'll try to be a good OP and update this post with recommendations that bubble up.

Seg's Needs for a Car Cover:
I confess that I'm not a car collector level of protecting my (future) Mach-E. However, there's things I let slide with my 2007 Focus SES that I won't with my Mach-E. Here's my situation and needs for a car cover.
  • Fits the Mach-E.
    • I'm a bit lost on how to order the correct size.
  • Outdoor/All Weather.
    • My home has a private parking spot, but not at all covered.
  • Ready for fire seasons with ash falling from the sky for weeks at a time.
    • I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. While I'm lucky to not be in a fire risk area, I'm not immune to wrecked air quality.
  • A way to wash the cover itself.
    • I'm OK to just take a hose to the cover, so long as the runoff doesn't leak to the car's exterior. Because ash.
  • Optional: Access to charge port when covered.
    • "After market" modifications OK. Worse case I can give a costumes friend a gig to modify the cover.
  • Optional: Container for traveling with the cover.
    • Not sure if I'll take the cover with me when traveling, but a nice-to-have.
List of Known Products
I'll keep maintaining this list as noteworthy recommendations show up. Pricing in USD unless noted otherwise.

Ford Full Vehicle Cover - with charge cord access. $369
The official Ford offering. In all white with built-in charge cord access and Mustang Mach-E branding.
Seg's notes: This is unbelievably expensive for a car cover to me. I'm also not jazzed about advertising the expensive car under the cover.
Sponsored

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why, You want to store if for years?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

I'll outline my needs, but if folks have different needs, share them! I'll try to be a good OP and update this post with recommendations that bubble up.

I confess that I'm not a car collector level of protecting my (future) Mach-E. However, there's things I let slide with my 2007 Focus SES that I won't with my Mach-E. Here's my situation and needs for a car cover.
  • Fits the Mach-E.
  • Outdoor/All Weather.
    • I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. While I'm lucky to not be in a fire risk area, I'm not immune to wrecked air quality.
    • I'm OK to just take a hose to the cover, so long as the runoff doesn't leak to the car's exterior. Because ash.
    • "After market" modifications OK. Worse case I can give a costumes friend a gig to modify the cover.
  • Optional:Container for traveling with the cover.
List of Known Products
I'll keep maintaining this list as noteworthy recommendations show up. Pricing in USD unless noted otherwise.

The official Ford offering. In all white with built-in charge cord access and Mustang Mach-E branding.
Seg's notes: This is unbelievably expensive for a car cover to me. I'm also not jazzed about advertising the expensive car under the cover.
$369 doesn't seem like a bad price for a custom-fitted cover of that quality. Note how it is tailored to the mirrors, etc.

Louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Country flag
Car covers can scratch up cars if the car isn't 100% clean
Right. Never put a car cover on unless you've just washed (or dusted) the car.
Or, you don't care about the paint. But then, if you didn't care, you wouldn't be covering it.

Except in the case of "very bad things are about to fall from the sky, and I don't have time to wash it."
Examples:
OP's nearby ash fall.
Or, weather app reports a large hail storm is 5 minutes away.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Or, you don't care about the paint. But then, if you didn't care, you wouldn't be covering it.

Except in the case of "very bad things are about to fall from the sky, and I don't have time to wash it."
Examples:
OP's nearby ash fall.
Or starling murmuration that decides to roost in trees over your car at night.

Louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Country flag

• Fits the Mach-E.
  • Outdoor/All Weather.
  • Optional:Container for traveling with the cover.
List of Known Products

I've had very good experiences with covers from CarCoversDirect.com. They aren't cheap, about the same as the Ford product, but they are custom covers, and fit very well. (no association, other than being a 5 time customer)

They sell several types of covers, so you can choose what environment your car will experience. Snow, Sun, Rain, Indoor, Outdoor, Door Dings, etc.

Thinner covers are more easily thrown into a big washing machine. Thicker covers probably need a large commercial washer at your local laundromat. Thinner covers pack up smaller for storage in the trunk (or frunk). Thicker covers protect better against door dings or falling Durian fruit. Or acorns.

Or you can buy cheap "semi-custom" covers on Amazon or eBay for cheap. They will flap around in the wind. They will batter and scratch your car as the fabric moves. You really want minimal movement of fabric versus paint.

Oh, and you definitely want Charge Cover access.

that's my $0.02
your mileage may vary.

OP
OP
TheSeg

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
Examples:
OP's nearby ash fall.
The ash fall is the reason for a cover.

When it started happening, my 2007 Ford Focus was over 10 years old. I did notice some discoloration, but didn't care too much at that point of my car's life. I also didn't bother washing the car until we were over the season. Seeing the thick grime trickling down the car in the car wash is why I'm afraid for my Mach-E.

For next fire season, I may have 12 or so hours till ash starts to hit. Should be enough time to do at least a basic hand wash with a hose (if not running to the car wash) before applying the cover. Not perfection, but it's something.

Or starling murmuration that decides to roost in trees over your car at night.
I don't worry about birds where I park as there's no overhead trees or perches. The rare time it happens, I'll just clean the affected area right away.

I've had very good experiences with covers from CarCoversDirect.com.
Thanks for the recommendation! They didn't have any Mach-E covers selectable yet, but I bookmarked them. There's a few months before fire season…

I have a feeling going with a manufacture that's more focused on a certain level of protection is better than the defacto standard issue Ford has. More bang for my buck, I guess?

Or you can buy cheap "semi-custom" covers on Amazon or eBay for cheap. They will flap around in the wind. They will batter and scratch your car as the fabric moves. You really want minimal movement of fabric versus paint.
For reasons I care not to get into, I am very familiar with wind flapping a car cover causing damage. I plan to use the car cover when the ash is staying in the air due to lack of wind. Because that's the hellscape of climate change we're in. :/

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I ordered a custom fit one for a relative's Honda CRV from Costco, under $200. I thought it was very nice, on a vehicle being kept outdoors for the past year. This is sold at other places, but I guess the costco price is good.

Coverking XtremeWeave Custom Fit Car Cover

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag

Examples:
OP's nearby ash fall.
Or haboobs. I got stuck in one, sandblasted the back of my car. I had to replace my side mirror glass because I couldn't see out of it at night anymore.

Picture of Phoenix haboob
Ford Mustang Mach-E Car Cover Recommendations 1609781332084

JonLAWeiss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD Extended Range
Country flag
Got my car cover today. Bought it online through Archie Cochran Motors for $300.96 shipped. Couldn't find it anywhere for less, including from my dealer or the cover's manufacturer, CoverKing, which is local to me, but apparently not selling them to the public yet.

We'll have it when the car comes at the end of this month. Hopefully.

IMG_4153[1].JPG

IMG_4151[1].JPG

Attachments

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
"I have a feeling going with a manufacture that's more focused on a certain level of protection is better than the defacto standard issue Ford has. More bang for my buck, I guess?"

If the cover doesn't allow access to the charge port, I'm not interested. The Ford cover is the only one that I can find (so far) that has a hatch. I'll cut a hole in the lower-front so the battery vents can work.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I’ve never used one and typically keep cars in a garage but there are places we go near pine trees and the pine tar can be a pain (along with bird poop). I just ordered some spray to remove those so I guess if I’m diligent I won’t need a cover.

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
Somewhat unrelated to OP's query and probably not a good choice for a car cover, but for protecting a portable generator that'll be stored outside (which was my application), riding mower, patio barbecue, etc. from ash (or in my case tree leaves and sap), I had very good results from Coversandall.com. You send them measurements, they send you a cover.

|'ll confess my generator cover is not fleece lined or anything, seams could scratch something like a car, but the generator is stored on the back stoop next to the house hookup, has been there for 3+ years and looks as if it's been stored indoors all that time.
Sponsored