Changes to steering with whisper, engage, unbridle

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Tried searching for this but didn't come up with an answer. I usually drive in engage mode but recently have been experimenting with unbridle (forcing myself to use the newer version of the labels...). I understand the way the mapping of throttle depression to acceleration changes with the modes but I'm not sure about the steering. It certainly feels "stiffer" (harder to turn the wheel) as one goes from whisper to engage to unbridle but does it also change the extent of turning for a given amount of steering wheel rotation? In other words do smaller changes in the steering wheel position lead to larger changes in turning radius in unbridle vs engage and vs whisper?
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Changing drive modes only affects the amount of assist for the steering, not the ratio of the rack and pinion. 😊🐩

EDIT: The steering ratio is slow, no matter what mode is selected. If someone comes out with a steering setup that is 7%-15% faster, I am all over that. 😊🐩

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Changing drive modes only affects the amount of assist for the steering, not the ratio of the rack and pinion. 😊🐩

EDIT: The steering ratio is slow, no matter what mode is selected. If someone comes out with a steering setup that is 7%-15% faster, I am all over that. 😊🐩
Thanks, got it. So what's the appeal of unbridle from a steering perspective? The few times I've driven in that mode around town I actually find it a bit more tiring on my arms. I know several on the forum prefer it--is it that if feels closer to what ICE sports cars feel like?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Thanks, got it. So what's the appeal of unbridle from a steering perspective? The few times I've driven in that mode around town I actually find it a bit more tiring on my arms. I know several on the forum prefer it--is it that if feels closer to what ICE sports cars feel like?
Less assist = More road feel 😊🐩

So, yeah. Higher-performance “feel.” Unfortunately the steering is as slow as a dump truck. I guess the steering rack is a leftover from the compliance car. 🤪🐩

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
The steering ratio is 14.6:1 in all models of the MME. 14.6 degree turn of the wheel is 1 degree turn of the front wheels. Cars are typically between 12:1 and 20:1

The ratio never changes between drive modes in any car. The rack has to change to do this. Only the amount of power steering boost changes between drive modes.

Pitts2112

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E SR, RWD
Country flag
Now this is a driver that knows the numbers!
The steering ratio is 14.6:1 in all models of the MME. 14.6 degree turn of the wheel is 1 degree turn of the front wheels. Cars are typically between 12:1 and 20:1
Now here’s a driver that seriously knows the numbers! 👍

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Less assist = More road feel 😊🐩

So, yeah. Higher-performance “feel.” Unfortunately the steering is as slow as a dump truck. I guess the steering rack is a leftover from the compliance car. 🤪🐩

The ratio never changes between drive modes in any car. The rack has to change to do this. Only the amount of power steering boost changes between drive modes.
Maybe they wanted a ratio towards the lower end of the spectrum to help with steering resolution and granular control for BlueCruise.
Sponsored