Checking out alternatives

fawzma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
alfa romeo
Country flag
Went to VW to get info on ID4.. Talked to manager and was told they were hoping for 25,000 reservations, but only 5000 were in as of Oct 9th. Assumed US reservations. Manger mentioned they were hoping for reservations like the Mach-E, but guessing it's not panning out. I'm not too confident they will be stocking the ID4.

Nissan Ariya, no chance of getting one here. They don't even stock Leafs. Pretty much said there's no interest in electric. Then again, I don't ever remember seeing a commercial for a leaf. They flat out said they won't be stocking Ariya's.

Chevy Bolt, didn't bother. No AWD so that was a quick nope from the wife. Before I ordered the Mach-E, I was considering a new Corvette. But between the fact they don't exist, and when they do; its 10k minimum over MSRP and its not practical at the moment; I'll reconsider if they go electric and offer AWD in the future.

Kona EV, didn't bother.. same deal as the Bolt. Unlikely they even sell them.

Tesla, forget it. closest service center is about 150+ miles. I'm also paranoid about the what if something goes wrong situation.

Audi E-Tron.. closest dealer is about 75+ miles away. Kinda Pricey.

Mach E, sticking with my order, this Ford dealer seem to be most interested in selling EV's. Although I got the feeling most if not all sales they have are from their own employees (5 pre-orders).

Not sure what I'm getting at here, guess I'm kinda shocked at the lack of interest in EV here. Unless dealers here are going out of there way to not sell them.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, it is rather unbelievable how little GM and FCA are interested in EVs - GM talks a good game but clearly there isn't a lot of effort there. It's a shame, because the Bolt had so much promise - had they bothered to actually update it and address the few shortcomings then they wouldn't have to be offering $8000 off here on the east coast. I think the big issue is that Europe and Asia are where the EV interest and focus is now, and the US is still under the spell of the Koch brothers and their friends. It is changing slowly, but 50 years of FUD takes its toll.

Anyway, it is good to see Ford stepping up their game, and you should be very happy with your Mach E.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I considered the Kona as well. The Mach E is going to be a lot more car with better tech and driving experience.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I considered the Kona as well. The Mach E is going to be a lot more car with better tech and driving experience.
No question.
I drove the Kona and came away completely underwhelmed with the interior quality. The MachE is going to be in a much higher class of car.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
At this point I feel convinced Ford is putting their heart and soul making the Mustang Mach E great car.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
For me there is no competion suitable. The closets thing is the falling apart Model Y. Everything else is a low powered econobox, weak range, or too expensive luxo boat. Nope.. Now in a couple years or so, different story. Plus the Mach e is the only cool looking one of the bunch right now. That VW is silly cheap looking.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
At this point I feel convinced Ford is putting their heart and soul making the Mustang Mach E great car.
100% and this is from someone that had big doubts when this car was announced. I do expect issue down the road but certainly wouldn't happen because of poor QA/effort to get it the best they could.

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Not sure what I'm getting at here, guess I'm kinda shocked at the lack of interest in EV here. Unless dealers here are going out of there way to not sell them.
Limited battery supply and stronger incentives/penalties elsewhere (China, Norway, EU) are causing manufacturers to focus their efforts towards those markets for financial reasons.

Furthermore, within the U.S., only about 10-12 states adhere to California's ZEV standards, which means the EVs sold here are mostly prioritized to those states, or even limited to sales in those states in some cases.

It's surprising but also encouraging that Ford is willing to launch the Mach-E in all states and matched to customer demand instead of prioritized them by legislated economics.

In the Uk the iD4 website is the worst ever. Cant see anyone being enticed with that site.
I think the Mach-E site is pretty awful, too... What's so bad about the UK ID.4 site? I just checked it out and the biggest issue seemed to be this sentence near the top of the page: The new ID.42: powerful like an SUV, sustainable like an ID.

Sustainable like an ID??! WTF does that mean?

I think Ioniq and Niro share more in common than Kona and Niro, except maybe in terms of battery capacity and outside appearance. Kona is in a smaller size class and came out about a year later.

I considered all three of these vehicles before Mach-E debuted. They're rarely available new in my state. And many of the used ones are manufacturer buybacks that make their way here via dealers that specialize in that sort of thing.