Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV
Occupation
CEO and Founder of Parking Heaven
Country flag
  • Banned
Anybody notice the range numbers on this cold weather trip Electrek did with a First Edition Mach-E? From the looks of it the guesstimated range would be around 153 miles if the guesstimate is at 121 miles at 79%.

Do you guys really think you would actually be able to travel more than the guesstimate? And if so how much more? Do you think you could actually end up driving longer distance than the Model-Y which most cold weather range tests have said real world number of 200 miles of range although guesstimate on the Y would be 260 miles.

7E30E3E7-EF9A-4EB1-B80D-5C7482684AEF.png
Sponsored

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Anybody notice the range numbers on this cold weather trip Electrek did with a First Edition Mach-E? From the looks of it the guesstimated range would be around 153 miles if the guesstimate is at 121 miles at 79%.

Do you guys really think you would actually be able to travel more than the guesstimate? And if so how much more? Do you think you could actually end up driving longer distance than the Model-Y which most cold weather range tests have said real world number of 200 miles of range although guesstimate on the Y would be 260 miles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Cold Weather Range Numbers 7E30E3E7-EF9A-4EB1-B80D-5C7482684AEF

In the video, the author was stating that he appeared to be on track for 270 miles despite the cold and hills, which I'm not sure about, but he did say that it seemed to underestimate his range consistently.

I don't think it will go a greater distance than the Y in the cold, but it will probably be very close (within 10-20 miles) based on what I've seen in reviews.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I'll let you know next week when I have the Mach-E for a couple of days. High of 33, low of 17.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
as I said on another range-related thread, we don't have enough real-world information on shipped-to-customer cars (rather than "preproduction") to have any real idea on what to expect here. It's going to be some time before we do - months. Before that it's going to be "here's my one data point from today" or "here's my four data points from this week" or whatever... just not enough information to be statistically meaningful.

There's an incredibly long thread on this site started, like, early last year that comes down to "but what will happen when I personally drive the car at 70 MPH on my highways because that's the only range I care about" which is the same category of question - we don't know, because there's just not enough information. Yet.

There are forum members on here with Ford Focus Electric experience that have said their production cars are routinely pessimistic about range, and a lot (most?) of us on this forum are taking that to mean that when reviewers say that about their pre-production Mach-E experiences, that it's valid. But that's a behavior answer, not an overall range answer.

I remember the road show tour cars had displays suggesting like 18 miles total range (*) and some folks on here were losing their minds and running all kinds of numbers and on and on. It was all wasted effort and concern - pre-production hardware and software, not enough data, and not even close to normal use cases for the vehicles to begin with.

So... what will real world be for real drivers on real roads with production cars and real lengths of time to test? we'll see!

(*) exaggerating to make a point

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

7E30E3E7-EF9A-4EB1-B80D-5C7482684AEF.png
It's hard to tell a lot from isolated screenshots of that small screen range number. Many reviewers have said it's consistently on the low side. Plus these review vehicles likely have power on and heat on a lot while people are sitting there in the parking lot playing with features, using battery without adding miles. It's also unknown how much history is included in that calculation from before that reviewer got the vehicle.

The better number is the miles/kWh reading on the big screen, whenever we get to see those. Take that and multiply by 88 kWh (ER battery) or 68 (SR battery). I think the worst number I've seen so far in all these videos is 2.1 miles/kWh. 2.1 x 88 = 184 miles. And most of the examples are better than that.

OP
OP
JoseLuisDeLaCruz

JoseLuisDeLaCruz

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV
Occupation
Country flag
  • Banned
In the video, the author was stating that he appeared to be on track for 270 miles despite the cold and hills, which I'm not sure about, but he did say that it seemed to underestimate his range consistently.

I don't think it will go a greater distance than the Y in the cold, but it will probably be very close (within 10-20 miles) based on what I've seen in reviews.
Totally agree that it will not travel further than the Y especially with the lack of heat pump.

OP
OP
JoseLuisDeLaCruz

JoseLuisDeLaCruz

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV
Occupation
Country flag
  • Banned
I'll let you know next week when I have the Mach-E for a couple of days. High of 33, low of 17.
I will be anxiously waiting for that cold weather range test and review from you my brother!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Actually, in this review from electrek :https://electrek.co/2021/02/05/the-...-is-fords-most-important-mustang-in-56-years/

he was able to go significantly farther than the GOM estimated, and in fact had this to say about the GOM and range in Model Y and MME:

Mach-E range and charging
The Ford Mustang Mach-E “First Edition” is EPA rated at 270 miles on a 88 kWh (usable, 98 kWh total) battery. When I set out for our 180-Mile Vermont snowboarding trip, the range given by the Mach-E was about 204 miles based on previous driving and the outside temperature. If our Tesla Model Y had said that, we wouldn’t have made it. However, the Mach-E was actually under-guessing its range vs. our Model Y, which overestimates it. Luckily, there are EVGO 50kW chargers along the route if there were issues.
It turns out we actually gained some mileage expectations along the way, and made it to the ski condo with about 40 miles of range left. So if you include the mountain climb at the end, that’s pretty fantastic. Also, if you include Tesla’s optimistic range vs. the Mustang’s pessimistic range, we landed with about the same range or percentage of battery as our Model Y. The Mustang’s battery is much bigger with 88kWh usable vs. Tesla’s 75kWh, but its EPA range is lower. Conclusion here: Those are a real 270 miles of range, and even in snow and up a mountain, the Mustang was on track to get very close to that stated range. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Ford OTA update the battery to shrink the buffer and get closer to 300 miles of range in this car like Jaguar and Audi have done with their LG packs.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Actually, in this review from electrek :https://electrek.co/2021/02/05/the-...-is-fords-most-important-mustang-in-56-years/

he was able to go significantly farther than the GOM estimated, and in fact had this to say about the GOM and range in Model Y and MME:
This is great information, but it’s still only one data point. By this time next year, we will have a full winter of data, from several thousand vehicles. That should give us a fairly accurate benchmark average.
Sponsored