mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Just wanted to thank OP for the post and others for the info. I really want to soften the ride of my Premium AWD ER and it’s good to know that this can mostly be accomplished with tires alone, and no change to the wheels. Imo the road noise and harshness of the 225s are really my only complaint about the car in the last few months of ownership.
You can also try lowering the tire pressure. I have a different model, but I put the fronts at 32 psi and it seemed to eliminate the harshness. Not the bounce - that is a different issue.
Sponsored

pbgear

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT
Country flag
I know these are not low resistance tires (the conti's) but I did not buy a performance car model to ride around on squirrely prius tires to gain range - and lose cornering, traction and braking performance. here is the range I am seeing - and I travel at 80 mph on the highways mostly.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Continental DWS 06 Plus 245/50/19 installed and performance results range

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know these are not low resistance tires (the conti's) but I did not buy a performance car model to ride around on squirrely prius tires to gain range - and lose cornering, traction and braking performance. here is the range I am seeing - and I travel at 80 mph on the highways mostly.
That's impressive. It is unlikely most of your miles are at 80 mph, but still, impressive.

What tire pressure are you using? And as a follow up, at that pressure, how is comfort?

I am thinking these are the tires I will get next, and I am hoping at 40 psi they will be as comfortable as the stock tires at 32 psi. Maybe that is unrealistic, but that is the hope. And if I can run the DW06's at 40 psi, maybe that will offset any rolling resistance efficiency losses.

One can dream.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Continental DWS 06 Plus 245/50/19 installed and performance results range
That is great, been looking into this and wondered how much of a loss there would be, looks like not much at all.

pbgear

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT
Country flag
I run 40 psi and have a mile to the ac expressway from home after which it is ~50 miles @ 80 with no regen as no braking typically needed. i leave 1 pedal on always - but doesn't matter on a highway. comfort is as good or better than my 2018 audi s4 with adaptive suspension and summer performance tires.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I've had mine for almost a year now and still love them. Fantastic tires....one of the few that I would legit buy again and I'm a tire snob.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Well, I just joined the Continental Extreme Contact Tire club a couple of days ago. I put the 245/50's on stock premium wheels. I really wanted to go with a new wider rim but the ones I wanted are like $4K.....so, just put these tires on stock rim. The car rides night and day difference in my opinion over the OEM tires. So much quieter and softer a ride. As for affecting mileage....There is a run I make on secondary roads at 55-65 mph that is about 200 miles round trip. I do this 2-3 times a month and routinely get about 3.4m/kw. Did the run today and still getting 3.4 m/kw. Running the tires at 41psi vs the 39 the OEM tires were. Would highly recommend these tires in the 245/50 size for OEM 19 inch wheels.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Well, I just joined the Continental Extreme Contact Tire club a couple of days ago. I put the 245/50's on stock premium wheels. I really wanted to go with a new wider rim but the ones I wanted are like $4K.....so, just put these tires on stock rim. The car rides night and day difference in my opinion over the OEM tires. So much quieter and softer a ride. As for affecting mileage....There is a run I make on secondary roads at 55-65 mph that is about 200 miles round trip. I do this 2-3 times a month and routinely get about 3.4m/kw. Did the run today and still getting 3.4 m/kw. Running the tires at 41psi vs the 39 the OEM tires were. Would highly recommend these tires in the 245/50 size for OEM 19 inch wheels.
Great, that's the comparison I was waiting for. I just got the car with the o&m summer tires. I will wait for the winter in Atlanta to make a decision.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Some pics if that helps anybody. It is raining here in North Georgia today so forgive the rusty discs and car in garage.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Continental DWS 06 Plus 245/50/19 installed and performance results 20220825_082837 (1)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Continental DWS 06 Plus 245/50/19 installed and performance results 20220825_082854

Ford Mustang Mach-E Continental DWS 06 Plus 245/50/19 installed and performance results 20220825_082905

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some pics if that helps anybody. It is raining here in North Georgia today so forgive the rusty discs and car in garage.
That looks so much better than the stock tires. Would definitely do this if I had a Premium.

But more importantly - how in the world does a garage look so clean as yours??? Where are all the boxes, shelves and other garage stuff? I am very impressed for how clean it is... jealous! One day my garage will look clean and organized.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
LOL. That is my wifes side of garage. All toolboxes, storage containers etc on my side. I also have a 24x30 foot workshop in the back of my garage where most the stuff stays.

OP
OP
2FlyMache

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
range.jpg
I agree, looks like I’ve lost 20 miles at 90%. Range for me is 250 at 100%
Ford Mustang Mach-E Continental DWS 06 Plus 245/50/19 installed and performance results 20220825_082905

Yeah, love the look on my car. Can't say I've seen the same results for range as you have but I do have my tires at 39 psi right now

OP
OP
2FlyMache

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
Is there a reason you decided on 41 vs 39? I have lost range on 39 so was debating if going up would recover some performance

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Trying to maximize range. Not sure if it makes any difference...I ran the OEM tires at 41psi also. Trying to compare apples to apples when looking at mi/kw. I took car for a 150 mile ride from Blairsville, Ga to Robbinsville, NC to the start of the dragons tail today. Tires handled exceptionally well through mountains. I had the wife with me and she was a big NO!!! for driving the dragons tail over to Maryville....probably would have had her hanging out window puking as I tried to keep up with all the 2 wheelers that ride the tail. Anyway, I average 3.5 mi/kw through the mountains though I was not really pushing it that much due to wife.

Rumline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x
Country flag
I recently got the DWS06 Plus in 245/50R19 for my AWD Premium. So far I'm not happy with them. I mean the traction and cornering performance are way better than the OEM Primacy's but they're just too harsh for me.

I played around with tire pressure quite a bit. I started off at 41 psi cold and had to lower them right away because they would "wander" at highway speeds. BlueCruise had trouble keeping the car centered in the lane, constantly moving the wheel back and forth. Steering manually, I noticed the same thing, and the classic "driving on balloons" feeling of overinflated tires. So I dropped them down to 40, and it was better, but once the tires warmed up they rode pretty harshly. So I dropped them again to 39 psi and now it doesn't feel overinflated at all. I'm not sure how some of you guys can stand to drive them at 41-42 PSI. 🤷‍♂️ No judgement from me; there's just no way I could stand that steering feel.

But then we did a 200-mile-each-way trip over Labor Day weekend. On that long trip I noticed the tires have a small but constant high-frequency jitter. Not out of balance, and not audibly, but just in feel. Road imperfections are more directly translated to the cabin than with the Primacys. We arrived at our destination feeling more tired than we had on previous trips.

I like the handling and performance of these tires, but I think I need to go back to a more cushy "grand touring all season". These tires may be very comfortable for their class, but are not sufficient for my preferences. YMMV.
Sponsored