Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Wheel aerodynamics play a marginal factor, just as the weight of the wheels. Sure you can get super light forged aero wheels, but that is all negated unless you go with an eco focused tire, that isn't super wide. Range loss is 90% attributed to tires that have a wider contact patch against the pavement. More contact = more friction = lower efficiency. The best way to offset this is to go with a tire option bringing some sort of eco focus rating, which typically includes a lower rolling resistance.
What you saying about weight is true on an ICE but not on a EV. Mostly because of regenerative breaking

Surprisingly width makes very little difference. For example, going from a 225/55/19 to a 245/50/19 is only about 3/4 of and since but going from a 225/55 to a 275/40 would be a bigger difference. The tires I have are available in 225/60/18 and 275/40/20 both sizes have the same "C" efficiency rating meaning it's less than a 2% difference.

I think the one thing the euro rating does not factor is the aero of the tire a 225/60/18 has a much bigger sidewall. see attached photo. Areo is huge on the highway but is not a big deal on city streets.

here is a video talking about that chart

Sponsored

Last edited:

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
Here is a dumb question - I don't know anything about modifications

It looks like you have installed 245 width tires on the stock wheels/rims(which comes with 225 width tires from factory)

I am thinking that it is not possible(they will not even fit). Am I wrong..
Will doing such thing void the warranty ? thanks

OP
OP
2FlyMache

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag

It looks like you have installed 245 width tires on the stock wheels/rims(which comes with 225 width tires from factory)

They are the same diameter and do fit the rim so not sure why it would void warranty

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

It won't void the warranty.

The factory wheels will typically fit multiple-size tires.

A good reference is Tire Rack. I have attached the specs notice that the 245/50/19 will fit 7-8.5" rims. The MME factory 19" wheel is 7" wide.

Changing wheels and tires it's important to get everything right if you are not an expert go to someone who is can't go wrong with Tire Rack or Discount Tire

Screenshot 2022-08-10 112935.jpg

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
It won't void the warranty.

The factory wheels will typically fit multiple-size tires.

A good reference is Tire Rack. I have attached the specs notice that the 245/50/19 will fit 7-8.5" rims. The MME factory 19" wheel is 7" wide.

Changing wheels and tires it's important to get everything right if you are not an expert go to someone who is can't go wrong with Tire Rack or Discount Tire

Ford Mustang Mach-E Continental DWS 06 Plus 245/50/19 installed and performance results Screenshot 2022-08-10 112935
followup please, I really would like to change the wheels on my mach E (scheduled Sep/12).

It is just simply replacing the tires or, do they need to do extra work of aligning the brakes/sensors etc etc

OP
OP
2FlyMache

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
followup please, I really would like to change the wheels on my mach E (scheduled Sep/12).

It is just simply replacing the tires or, do they need to do extra work of aligning the brakes/sensors etc etc
When I changed my tires with the Continentals DWS 245-50-19, they didn't do any adjustments. Still same rims. If you change rims, now you need to be aware of offset and brake clearances

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

If you're going from a 225/55/19 factory size to a 245/50/19 you can just change the tires. No other modifications are needed. I would put some miles on the car before you do this and have a good idea of what you want to change in the way the car rides.

OP
OP
2FlyMache

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
If you're going from a 225/55/19 factory size to a 245/50/19 you can just change the tires. No other modifications are needed. I would put some miles on the car before you do this and have a good idea of what you want to change in the way the car rides.
I agree, my factory 225's were due for replacement and overall I felt they were rough riding, not good in wet weather, and noisy. As others have said, I don't do a lot of trips on highway and I can charge everyday at work and at home so range is less of an issue

Schmetsky

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CRV, GolfR, MDX, Sienna, RX350
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Doesn't the GTPE have 245s? Doesn't it still get mostly full range?

OP
OP
2FlyMache

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
They have Pirelli's EV tires and I believe their range is 240 or 250 in 20's. My premium didn't really have any true EV tires in the 245 19's

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
The width makes very little difference. The DWS 06 + is not an EV tire and it's not low rolling resistance

Many observe up to a 10% reduction in range, but it depends on your combination of city vs highway.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The GT has 245s also, and also a low rolling resistance tire, but a all season tire instead of a summer tire. The EPA range difference between the GTPE and GT is 10 miles, which is almost certainly due to the rim/tires. Hard to know which one contributes more, or less. It could be the GTPE tire has lower rolling resistance than the GT, but definitely the rim has higher air resistance (at highway speed).

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag
I have the Extreme Contact in 245 on my car for over a year now. About 12,000 miles on them. I agree with all comments from the OP and can add they are wearing quite well. Even wear and I can still se the w in the thread meaning that according to Continental they are still good for winter. I have dedicated winter’s on the OEM rims however.

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
My GTPE came with 245/45/R20 Pirelli P Zero max performance summer tires. I haven't been conservative and I'm getting in the 250 range. REALLY sticky tires. Great for cornering. I don't think they will do well when it's cold, wet, or snowy.

My Kia EV6 AWD GT-Line came with 255/45R20 Continental Crosscontact RX. I get around 260 with those tires. They wear and handle well but are very "sensitive". If you drive over a cigarette butt you can tell if it's regular or menthol. I will not buy them again.

Toreus

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Just wanted to thank OP for the post and others for the info. I really want to soften the ride of my Premium AWD ER and it’s good to know that this can mostly be accomplished with tires alone, and no change to the wheels. Imo the road noise and harshness of the 225s are really my only complaint about the car in the last few months of ownership.
Sponsored