Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150
Occupation
Program Manager
Country flag
I have my reservation but constantly battle about which model to order when the time comes. Economics are certainly a factor, both up front and resale. I don’t “need” a GT but if the resale value will cover most of the difference, then I am okay with the larger upfront cost. With your personal views, convince me to buy the model you believe is the best choice.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have my reservation but constantly battle about which model to order when the time comes. Economics are certainly a factor, both up front and resale. I don’t “need” a GT but if the resale value will cover most of the difference, then I am okay with the larger upfront cost. With your personal views, convince me to buy the model you believe is the best choice.
There's no wrong choice. Except RWD. Gotta get AWD. RWD is too slow to be a Mustang.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
BEVs are much more situation-dependent than ICE vehicles. So it really just depends on your situation.

If you can easily charge overnight at home, and won't take hardly any long road trips (or use an ICE vehicle instead), and your daily drive is <120 miles, I'd save the $5000 and just get the SR battery.

But if you don't have an ICE vehicle option and plan to take long road trips, or you have a daily commute of more than 120 miles, I'd get the ER.

As for AWD vs RWD, that mostly depends on the usual reasons (driving in winter weather or not).

Personally I can't make any case for the GT. Every Mach-e model will be more than fast and responsive enough for normal driving. Unless you're drag racing or just showing off a lot, I don't get the need for GT acceleration.

And I wouldn't be buying the Mach-e for resale value. EV batteries will likely keep evolving, improving range and power density. That would make the ones before it worth less. Resale value drop-off could be worse than ICE cars. Plus the tax credits are eaten by the initial buyer as resale should immediately fall by at least that much.

Last edited:

Rod m

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan leaf
Country flag
My moneys on RWD extended range
How can it be said 285 bop is too slow and with 370 range it’s the one for me

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
From a pure financial perspective, assuming the same depreciation rate, the higher the price, the greater operating costs you have.
I reserved a Select for starters but I do have my concerns that it’s too basic. However, I can’t justify the price premium up to the Premium. I’m between the CA Rt 1 and the Select, since at least for the price gap you get a bigger battery with some of the Premium features.
The biggest determining factor for me is if the Select will get the “Autopilot” features or not. I did see that it had a slower DC fast charge rate on some literature, but at the same time also saw it had the same 150kW as the others, in the Mach E brochure.

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
While a bunch of good, sound judgement has been shared, no one seems to be addressing your original ask. I was in your position so while I preface this with“There is no wrong decision so don’t @ me because I don’t favor your option” here goes...

The resale point already made is a good one (and also plays into SR/ER decision) and you say economics are a factor. But is your choice between a GT and a premium AWD ER? Or something else? Harder to make the case without knowing.

If the choice is between AWD ER you’re looking at about 2K more for faster, better suspension, different colors, brake callipers, and interior flourishes. Now my problem with this is no panoramic glass roof or 360 camera as standard. Personally, I will get more enjoyment out of both of those factors and I’d assume at least another 3K if they do become options. I also like infinite blue which isn’t a GT option and I think grabber blue looks too immature 18yr old boy racer. Paying that much, I want a premium metallic finish and the wife doesn’t like the red and white is boring.

So, paying >5K more for a color option I don’t like and having to wait longer (not to mention grille that I can’t make my mind up about) would’ve been one thing but I also realized with at home charging I don’t need ER. So the difference for me with premium AWD SR is nearly 7K, >10K if you factor the roof and 360 camera in.

Now if the GT was perfect would I stretch to 10K more? Maybe, but not being able to get a color I like really sealed the deal for me. I don’t need that speed for such a pretty penny.

sorry for the rant, hope it helps!

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
As EV tech and battery tech advances over the coming decades, I am really excited about the future of EV vehicle modification, both software and hardware. I'm getting AWD ER and I'm planning to keep it for life. I will one day replace the battery, maybe look at upgrading the front motor and/or both motors when it seems right... who knows what we'll be able to do in the future. On the software side, I'm really excited in the potential of ride customisation. Will we be able to create custom drive modes and tuning etc? VCM Remapping through flash drives and stuff like that!? Who knows. But what I do know right now is that I love the look of the car and I want to keep it on the road for as long as possible... and maybe one day it will be considered an early EV classic?... I'm just gutted I missed the 1st Edition! With this mentality, it shouldn't matter what model... but if you're planning on selling before the battery warranty is up, then I reckon the GT or AWD ER is probably best.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
There's no wrong choice. Except RWD. Gotta get AWD. RWD is too slow to be a Mustang.
As long as you really need that extra speed and you’re OK with the range penalty.

I know this is heresy, but I would have reserved this car if they had called it the ‘Ford Electric’.

I’ve had my fun with crazy acceleration in my Model S, so I’m now looking at the more practical side of it. To be honest, I only found myself showing off the acceleration with friends who had never been in an S. Otherwise I drive my S fairly normally.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
If you're looking for an excuse not to buy the Mustang Mach-E, I guarantee you'll find it.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
As long as you really need that extra speed and you’re OK with the range penalty.

I know this is heresy, but I would have reserved this car if they had called it the ‘Ford Electric’.

I’ve had my fun with crazy acceleration in my Model S, so I’m now looking at the more practical side of it. To be honest, I only found myself showing off the acceleration with friends who had never been in an S. Otherwise I drive my S fairly normally.
I agree with everything except the impressing friends thing. Granted my stang doesn't have quite the acceleration of your s, but the only time I stomp on it is when I occasionally need some "road therapy" by myself or maybe with the wife. Even then it's more fun navigating curvy roads rather than straight line acceleration from a stop.

dkaar 's question is hard to answer concisely given how much it hinges on personal preferences, finances, and life situation. I for one am getting the select edition because financial considerations are most important to me- the acceleration, ammenities, looks, and range of the select are "good enough". The difference in resale value 10 years from now is insignificant compared to the delta in purchase price, at least for me. The only decision I haven't made is awd vs rwd because of my 100 mile commute. Until I see the actual epa numbers on the awd I don't know if I will have enough margin in frigid winter weather.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I did see that it had a slower DC fast charge rate on some literature, but at the same time also saw it had the same 150kW as the others, in the Mach E brochure.
Yes, this has been a bit confusing. The Tech Specs show the Select at only 115 kW DC fast charging while the Brochure says up to 150 kW. What has come out in a number of videos with designers and the walk-around for media the day after the launch is that the charging rate is dependent on the battery system. The ER (~100 kWh) pack is wired for the faster charging at 150 kW. The SR (~76 kWh) pack is only wired for 115 kW. That provides similar 20%-80% charging times between the two packs and cuts cost on the SR.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, this has been a bit confusing. The Tech Specs show the Select at only 115 kW DC fast charging while the Brochure says up to 150 kW. What has come out in a number of videos with designers and the walk-around for media the day after the launch is that the charging rate is dependent on the battery system. The ER (~100 kWh) pack is wired for the faster charging at 150 kW. The SR (~76 kWh) pack is only wired for 115 kW. That provides similar 20%-80% charging times between the two packs and cuts cost on the SR.
That makes the most sense -- that the 115 kW vs 150 kW charging is tied to the battery size, not the trim package.

I haven't seen anything about different wiring though.

My guess (and that's all it is) is that the smaller battery pack simply enters the charging curve at a later point (past where the larger battery stops charging at 150 and tapers down). In other words, the 99 kWh battery is probably already tapered down to 115 kW charging rate by the time it reaches the 25% SOC point (i.e. where there's 75 kWh left to charge, the equivalent of the smaller battery).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
In other words, the 99 kWh battery is probably already tapered down to 115 kW charging rate by the time it reaches the 25% SOC point (i.e. where there's 75 kWh left to charge, the equivalent of the smaller battery).
I would expect that the additional battery pack is wired in parallel to the standard battery, which is why the charging rate is higher: 30% more cells wired in parallel yields 30% more current draw (99/75.7 = 150/115). The wiring from the charge port to the inverter would need to be thicker on the ER than on the SR, although they may just use the same cables to save on having 2 different sets of cables/ties/connectors/etc for the 2 designs.
Sponsored