dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
I dipped my wheels!

First in plastidip:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Copper dipped wheels DIY FA55AEE7-6AF7-4500-9C0E-BB618D1E5B54

then in burnt copper:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Copper dipped wheels DIY 8946D94C-199F-4338-BD80-8702EE8E0378

then peeled the excess and removed the mask over the brakes.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Copper dipped wheels DIY 5FF14C24-0585-48E0-9580-9D3B93C825CA

The photos look a little dark, but the finish is a satin coppery color close to a penny.

It took me about 90 minutes and was pretty easy. If I were to do it again, I will probably mask the piano black areas with tape and peel when wet. (Gotta do that twice: peel when finished with the plastidip and then again with the color.)

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Make sure to use a deck of cards to go between the tires and edge of the rims so save you some trouble. That looks pretty good, though! I might Plasti dip mine when I put them in storage

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I dipped my wheels!

First in plastidip:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Copper dipped wheels DIY 5FF14C24-0585-48E0-9580-9D3B93C825CA

then in burnt copper:

The photos look a little dark, but the finish is a satin coppery color close to a penny.

It took me about 90 minutes and was pretty easy. If I were to do it again, I will probably mask the piano black areas with tape and peel when wet. (Gotta do that twice: peel when finished with the plastidip and then again with the color.)
Looks great, can you link the exact materials you used for the plastidip and copper color? Also how long do you think this will last?

OP
OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks great, can you link the exact materials you used for the plastidip and copper color? Also how long do you think this will last?
Sure! I’ve been Watching a lot of Dip You Car videos and decided to give them some business you can probably buy these things from any auto parts store, but I got mine in a kit from them:

https://www.dipyourcar.com/collecti...rnt-copper-alloy-wheel-kit?variant=5630996356

DYC says it should last two years, but wheel see. (See what I did there?) but it was so easy that I’ll gladly do it again when it doesn’t look good or I just want a new look.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Sure! I’ve been Watching a lot of Dip You Car videos and decided to give them some business you can probably buy these things from any auto parts store, but I got mine in a kit from them:

https://www.dipyourcar.com/collecti...rnt-copper-alloy-wheel-kit?variant=5630996356

DYC says it should last two years, but wheel see. (See what I did there?) but it was so easy that I’ll gladly do it again when it doesn’t look good or I just want a new look.
Did you take your wheels off the car or did you just cover everything up underneath the rim and to cover the car for overspray?

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Isn't this just rattle-can paint? If not, how does this hold up compared to 2K automotive paint?

This is how I repaint brand new 48 spoke MG wheels arriving in basic silver. 1940 Ford maroon. Keep 'em turning for a few minutes to allow heavy areas to set so they don't run!!

It wouldn't have occurred to me to try a rattle can to save some money.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Copper dipped wheels DIY Wheels 1

OP
OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you take your wheels off the car or did you just cover everything up underneath the rim and to cover the car for overspray?
The kit I bought comes with plastic sheeting to thread through the openings in the rims. I used that to mask the rotors and calipers. I think I checked for full coverage six or more times! But yes, I left the rims in the car. I’m not yet comfortable taking the wheels off of cars yet.

OP
OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Isn't this just rattle-can paint? If not, how does this hold up compared to 2K automotive paint?

This is how I repaint brand new 48 spoke MG wheels arriving in basic silver. 1940 Ford maroon. Keep 'em turning for a few minutes to allow heavy areas to set so they don't run!!

It wouldn't have occurred to me to try a rattle can to save some money.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Copper dipped wheels DIY Wheels 1
It’s plasti-dip that you can buy at Home Depot or wherever. That way I can return it to OEM if I like. $75 for four wheels.

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
I did a whole car in burnt copper dip. One of my favorite projects ever. I am curious to see how long it holds up on the wheels. It was still in perfect shape when I peeled it off my car after 18 months. I used a red base instead of black so it was a little brighter.

D3596354-0101-4F6E-B3D5-B8768235C3DA.jpeg

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
OH, that's the paint 'n peel. There's a Youtube of a guy that did a yello Lambo. Cool stuff, especially if your car's crap and you're handy with masking tape.

OP
OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OH, that's the paint 'n peel. There's a Youtube of a guy that did a yello Lambo. Cool stuff, especially if your car's crap and you're handy with masking tape.
Yes. The Dip Your Car guy does it on an RS7, amongst other nice cars and gets incredible results. (Like hyper shifts and satins, candies, and even a thermochemistry set.) check out DipYourCar on YouTube!

I’m not at all ready to spray paint my mach-e, but some of the effects he does are surely tempting. I figured rims I could handle. Even if it doesn’t readily peel, a good scrubbing could return them to original.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Yes. The Dip Your Car guy does it on an RS7, amongst other nice cars and gets incredible results. (Like hyper shifts and satins, candies, and even a thermochemistry set.) check out DipYourCar on YouTube!

I’m not at all ready to spray paint my mach-e, but some of the effects he does are surely tempting. I figured rims I could handle. Even if it doesn’t readily peel, a good scrubbing could return them to original.
I'm guessing machine car washes and the jet-engine driers are off limits then?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
I dipped my wheels!

First in plastidip:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Copper dipped wheels DIY D3596354-0101-4F6E-B3D5-B8768235C3DA

then in burnt copper:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Copper dipped wheels DIY D3596354-0101-4F6E-B3D5-B8768235C3DA

Funny enough I've been contemplating going with copper or bronze on my IB MME but with a new set of wheels. You might just have convinced me