Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
@67 Stang Convertible don't open the door yet open the drive mode interface on sync 4 and the trunk button is on the top right corner of that screen. You should be able to open it.

I actually like the older version of the way we open the trunk and frunk through Sync. It even knew if you open the trunk before and after when you shut down it would automatically default to that top down view of the car and you would press the trunk/hatch of the car to open.

You can open it through your FOB is the only other "physical" button other than the hatch trunk button.
I appreciate it; I know......but.....Old Dog New Trick problem. My instinct is to turn the car off and open the door before looking for a button. I rarely put anything in the trunk, that's probably why. I'm a much more frequent Frunk user.
Sponsored

CurtW

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag
Sigh… ok guys before we devolve into another 18-page thread about whether range matters or not - it matters to a lot of people. It may not matter to you, and that’s fine, but at least some cars need to be designed for extended ranges.

Beyond the coasts, there are huge areas of the country where DCFC is sparse. And there are lots of people who take numerous road trips per year. And even when you can find a DCFC every 50 miles (fat chance that happens anytime soon), some people don’t want to get out and charge every 100-150 miles, even if it only takes 15mins per stop. They want to get on the road and freaking drive for hours at a time. I drive 500 miles and 7hrs to Denver a couple times a year in an ICE, and I stop once each way.

Saying, too bad, learn to stop more often, is snobby.
It absolutely matters! I'm taking a 130 mile trip today (round trip = 260 miles), and I'm leaving the MME in the garage because this trip has zero DCFC options, L2 options are sketchy, and I won't have opportunity on this voyage for a 8-12 hour charge window. The MME won't even come close to 260 miles at current temps. I love the car, but think I won't remember this when I shop for the next vehicle?

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Sounds like a lot of people just want another Mach E with some minor tweaks.

Other people are creating a fantasy wish list of things that may never happen (fast charging, high range, light weight and low cost).

Of the above list, I don’t know that we will ever get everything at the same time. Something has to give.

Energy density for electric car batteries was the problem a hundred years ago, and is still the problem today.

You know what they said a decade ago? That we are “5-10 years away from a breakthrough.”

And yet the 2023 Model S seems awfully similar to the 2013 Model S……

Ironically, car manufacturers are actually starting to go BACKWARDS when it comes to energy density of batteries for mass production. Why? Cost.

I don’t think the 2033 Model S is going to be that much different from the 2023 when it comes to tech.
I completely understand and agree. My wish list (re the range and charging speed) is not currently technologically feasible. It is premised on battery taking the next big jump forward. Similar to when cars switched from NiMH to Li-ion. I would have no problem owning my MME for the next 10 years while I wait for that. Hopefully it comes to pass.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Sigh… ok guys before we devolve into another 18-page thread about whether range matters or not - it matters to a lot of people. It may not matter to you, and that’s fine, but at least some cars need to be designed for extended ranges.

Beyond the coasts, there are huge areas of the country where DCFC is sparse. And there are lots of people who take numerous road trips per year. And even when you can find a DCFC every 50 miles (fat chance that happens anytime soon), some people don’t want to get out and charge every 100-150 miles, even if it only takes 15mins per stop. They want to get on the road and freaking drive for hours at a time. I drive 500 miles and 7hrs to Denver a couple times a year in an ICE, and I stop once each way.

Saying, too bad, learn to stop more often, is snobby.
Any list on this thread is going to be entirely subjective by its nature. Whether we couch the phrasing to imply it’s a need or a requirement is entirely irrelevant. Other items just aren’t technically feasible yet (ice equivalents in charging times as one example). Each are a want or desire that each of us have. They might even be deal breakers, even if not realistic at the present time. Plus, of course, each of our time frames for our next ev are entirely different. My time frame for a decent midsized pickup could be in the near future, not years away.

So I honestly don’t see the need to argue about whether 500 miles range (or whatever) is necessary or realistic in this type of thread. Save those arguments for discussions on design choices and compromise threads.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Any list on this thread is going to be entirely subjective by its nature. Whether we couch the phrasing to imply it’s a need or a requirement is entirely irrelevant. Other items just aren’t technically feasible yet (ice equivalents in charging times as one example). Each are a want or desire that each of us have. They might even be deal breakers, even if not realistic at the present time. Plus, of course, each of our time frames for our next ev are entirely different. My time frame for a decent midsized pickup could be in the near future, not years away.

So I honestly don’t see the need to argue about whether 500 miles range (or whatever) is necessary or realistic in this type of thread. Save those arguments for discussions on design choices and compromise threads.
Exactly this.
My next EV (unless I get another Mustang in the meantime) will be capable of taking me to one of my favorite camping sites with my travel trailer. I very much don't care if it's because the range has improved or because the infrastructure has improved.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I couldn't even begin to say what my criteria will be for a new EV in ~5 years. Presumably infrastructure will be better, batteries and range will be marginally, if not significantly, better, and most companies will be better with their software and support. There really aren't any "bad" cars now, and I suspect that will be true of EVs as well.

If it looks good, goes like stink, and isn't a stupid price, I'm in.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I don’t upgrade frequently. I wait for big jumps in tech. I drove my last car, a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, for nearly 12 years while I waited for an EV that checked 4 Boxes: (1) Crossover/SUV form factor, (2) stylish inside and out, (3) 250mi+ range, and (4) no more than $50k after tax credit.

The 2021 Mach E 4X Premium was the first EV to satisfy those criteria, and I bought it. And I’ve been generally pleased, but now I’ve learned enough about the pros and cons to have new criteria for my next EV:
  1. Still needs to be a Crossover / SUV form factor. I like the space and sitting a little higher on the road.
  2. Still needs to be stylish inside and out. I will not accept the bubble / blunt-nosed dorkmobile styling, or cheap interiors.
  3. A nice cushy suspension (the Mach E’s “sport tuning” is definitely not this).
  4. Well-insulated, quiet cabin (Mach E is pretty good in this regard).
  5. 350mi+ Range at 75mph.
  6. 15min DCFC from 10% to 90%.
  7. At least 3mi/kWh highway and 4mi/kWh city efficiency.
  8. “Level 2.5” ADAS (Eyes-on but otherwise self-driving on highways, including nav and truly automatic lane changes).
  9. No more than $60k (adjusted for inflation, probably closer to $80k).
This EV doesn’t exist yet, but I think it will within the next 10 years, and the first manufacturer to get there is gonna make a killing.

What’s your list?
Really great question and one that I have been thinking about myself.
I was pretty sure I needed a truck. So I ordered a Lightning and a Rivian. Passed on both because when the time came to take delivery, I realized that I am not ready for an electric truck. Too many compromises at the moment. Too expensive, not as efficient at best of times and really bad when fully loaded (compared to other EVs), requires heavier duty charging stations (both for L2 and L3) etc etc etc.

When it came time to open my wallet and sign on the line......I looked at my Mach-E and realize it does everything I need and a bunch of stuff that I don't need (yet appreciate still). Plus, here in Arizona it is grandfathered into the ridiculously low registration fee rates so there is added value in keeping the vehicle as long as it is still working well.

So, I have yet to see another EV that I would rather have as my daily driver and I have seen them all pretty much. I do like the Cadillac Lyriq but not enough to let go of the Mach-E. But if I had to replace it for some reason.....then the Lyriq is top of my list at the moment. MSRP is reasonable, it drives fantastic! As nice as the MB EQS if you can believe that. I still like real leather and the sound system is far better than what I have in the Mach-E. I didn't get to try the Super Cruise but I hear it is a step or two better than Blue Cruise so that would be a nice thing I guess.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
I don't really have an problems with your wish list, except some of them seem to be at odds with each other (from a physics/engineering perspective)
  1. Still needs to be a Crossover / SUV form factor. I like the space and sitting a little higher on the road.
  2. 350mi+ Range at 75mph.
  3. At least 3mi/kWh highway and 4mi/kWh city efficiency.
So, you want a vehicle that gets 3mi/kWh... at 75mph. Since aerodynamics are the biggest use of power at 75pmh, the only way to really improve on that is with a more aerodynamic form factor...but you still want an crossover/SUV form. I think you are going to have to pick two out of three from this list.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Exactly this.
My next EV (unless I get another Mustang in the meantime) will be capable of taking me to one of my favorite camping sites with my travel trailer. I very much don't care if it's because the range has improved or because the infrastructure has improved.
I wonder if Travel Trailers will ever come with a gasoline range extender. If you only need the range extender when you are towing, it might as well be a rental or attached to the trailer instead of the EV.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I wonder if Travel Trailers will ever come with a gasoline range extender. If you only need the range extender when you are towing, it might as well be a rental or attached to the trailer instead of the EV.
I wouldn't use a range extender that uses gasoline. I've got a 3.6 kWh battery in my trailer right now, but would consider another 5-10 kWh for it to provide a small 15-30 mile range boost for emergency needs. But my preferred camping sites are off-grid so I would want a DCFC charging option within about 30 miles of those. I think it's coming...

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Mark Watney has a design he'd like to show you.

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
My dream EV is the Mustang Mach-E but one that can fast-charge to 90% in 10 minutes.

2010GT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang GT, 2023 Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Country flag
I'd like to charge at home at 80amps. Is that coming down the pipe?

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I don't really have an problems with your wish list, except some of them seem to be at odds with each other (from a physics/engineering perspective)

So, you want a vehicle that gets 3mi/kWh... at 75mph. Since aerodynamics are the biggest use of power at 75pmh, the only way to really improve on that is with a more aerodynamic form factor...but you still want an crossover/SUV form. I think you are going to have to pick two out of three from this list.
With current battery tech, yes. Hopefully not in the future.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
I'd like to charge at home at 80amps. Is that coming down the pipe?
Doubtful, but maybe as an upgraded feature? I doubt there is a big enough market given you would need special wiring beyond the standard 240/50 plugs that are more common in homes.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to charge at 19kw vs. 11kw at home?
Sponsored