Criteria for your Next EV?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
With current battery tech, yes. Hopefully not in the future.
I don’t think that is a problem that battery technology can solve.

BEVs are already very efficient at getting energy to turn into propulsion. And it takes a certain amount of energy to move a heavy vehicle at a certain speed a certain distance.

It’s a physics problem like he said. Weight and aerodynamics. Sure some sort of “superior hypothetical future” battery could help with the weight, but it’s not gonna help the aerodynamics of a 3 row SUV.

And therein lies the problem with “future hypothetical battery tech,” we are dealing with the physics of it all. You can only cram so much energy into so much space, then there is a safe limit to how fast you can charge and discharge it.

It’s not much different than the limitations on solar panels. They’re already extremely efficient and there is a physical limit to how much “sunshine hits the panel.” Future tech won’t be able to change that physical limit.
Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag

2010GT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang GT, 2023 Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Country flag
I had to hard wire my 42 amp charger in anyway, so there's no way I'll be upgrading. Too much work.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
My dream EV is the Mustang Mach-E but one that can fast-charge to 90% in 10 minutes.
Solid state batteries (may) make this and other future EV wishes a possibility. Researchers are already fast charging SS batteries in 15 minutes.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
The Mach-E onboard charger only accepts 11kw (48amps). I don't know if any EVs currently have a larger onboard charger.
The question was criteria for the next EV, not the Mustang. The charging capability exists in the J1772 standard and existing EVSEs provide up to that maximum of 80A (19.2 kW).

But even more specifically to your statement. The Porsche Taycan has a $1700 option for an onboard 19.2 kW charger. If your EVSE can provide 80A, existing vehicles can accept it and new vehicles with larger batteries are going to find lots of demand for that possibility. People who use their trucks for work and need a full tank in the morning are going to demand faster at-home charging.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I don't think we need bigger batteries with a ton of range - like lots of others have stated the key for me is the ability to recharge quickly.

So my wish list would be 350-ish miles and recharge in 8-10 minutes.

I'm positive when I'm in my rocker at Shady Acres my grandkids are going to say "Papa - tells us again how long it used to take to charge your car...." and I'll say "45 minutes!" and they be like "NOOOOO WAYYYYYY!!!!"...

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Solid state batteries (may) make this and other future EV wishes a possibility. Researchers are already fast charging SS batteries in 15 minutes.
Faster charging? Sure, but as far as energy density and efficiency goes, it’s an incremental change, not exponential:

““The solid-state battery is expected to deliver up to 30% higher energy density compared to conventional lithium ion, which could enable an even longer driving range or less weight. ‘More with less’ is the way to lead the way the world moves.””

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...Amp-Hour-Solid-State-Battery-Cell-at-CES-2023

So it’ll weigh about 30% less? That’s only a few hundred pounds in a 5,000 lb SUV.

I don’t think solid state will be the miracle cure. 700 lbs of batteries just isn’t gonna compete weight wise with 100 lbs of gasoline.

Graction

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Mach-e GT
Country flag
  1. More efficient so it has a minimum range of 300 miles on highway in winter with same size battery.
  2. Faster charging.
  3. More compliant suspension without the under damped bouncy and harsh ride on bumps. Maybe the GTPE already has it but I haven’t driven it.
  4. Seats with independently adjustable seat bottom tilt. Still very surprised Mach-e doesn’t have that.
  5. Birds Eye 360 camera. Mine doesn’t have it.
  6. Built in dashcam type recording
  7. Better acceleration at all speeds without limit
  8. Better sound system. B&O system is a bit disappointing.
  9. Customizable driving modes
  10. Wheels that are attractive and non aero when standing but transform into highly efficient aero wheels at speed.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I don’t think that is a problem that battery technology can solve.

BEVs are already very efficient at getting energy to turn into propulsion. And it takes a certain amount of energy to move a heavy vehicle at a certain speed a certain distance.

It’s a physics problem like he said. Weight and aerodynamics. Sure some sort of “superior hypothetical future” battery could help with the weight, but it’s not gonna help the aerodynamics of a 3 row SUV.

And therein lies the problem with “future hypothetical battery tech,” we are dealing with the physics of it all. You can only cram so much energy into so much space, then there is a safe limit to how fast you can charge and discharge it.

It’s not much different than the limitations on solar panels. They’re already extremely efficient and there is a physical limit to how much “sunshine hits the panel.” Future tech won’t be able to change that physical limit.
People no doubt said the same about NiMH before Li-ion. Weight and energy density will improve. I think they will improve enough to make my wish list possible. Hell, some people on here already claim to be getting 350mi+ and 3mi/kWh on the highway. They aren’t (at least under less than optimal conditions), but it isn’t a pipe dream to think this is attainable in the next 5-10 years.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Mach-E onboard charger only accepts 11kw (48amps). I don't know if any EVs currently have a larger onboard charger.
Does the lyriq rear wheel drive have a faster on board charger. I thought it had 19kw.

I will have to double check

edit: not sure how accurate this or what it takes to get this speed.
2023 Cadillac LYRIQ Drives Closer to Delivery
https://media.cadillac.com › news › may › 0516-lyriq

May 16, 2022 — When it comes to charging, LYRIQ offers at-home Level 2 (AC) charge rates of up to 19.2 kW, which can add up to 52 miles of range per hour

spicy_taco

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
My wishlist:
- At least 350-400 mile range.
- Faster recharge time
- Less SW/module/interface issues I never had to worry about user interface issues in my 2008 Mazda (which i replaced with the MME). I want the same experience in my next car.
- Similar style as MME.

I do a lot of SF to LA driving. I don't like stopping often. With my ICE I stopped once, refuelled and was on the move in 15 minutes. I want the same from my next EV.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
People no doubt said the same about NiMH before Li-ion. Weight and energy density will improve. I think they will improve enough to make my wish list possible. Hell, some people on here already claim to be getting 350mi+ and 3mi/kWh on the highway. They aren’t (at least under less than optimal conditions), but it isn’t a pipe dream to think this is attainable in the next 5-10 years.
That’s fair. But I see that as incremental increases and not really a huge leap.

Then again, back in 2007 when the 2025 CAFE standards came out, I said “no freakin way, impossible standard, not gonna happen.”

Oh wait….. I still feel that way lol!

“The final rule establishes standards that would require an industry-wide fleet average of approximately 49 mpg for passenger cars and light trucks in model year 2026, by increasing fuel efficiency by 8% annually for model years 2024 and 2025, and 10% annually for model year 2026.”
https://www.nhtsa.gov/laws-regulations/corporate-average-fuel-economy

49 mpg average for cars just a couple years from now? Lol the standards are still ridiculous. Impossible without “cheating” by not using gasoline at all. My math teacher taught me you can’t divide by zero (miles per gallon), I guess they were wrong?

randomvoice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
Honestly, the only thing I need is a 'comfier suspension'. Yeah bells and whistle like more range and faster charging help but I don't see that as a limit currently. In fact, my day to day doesn't require anywhere near the 280ish miles I get on the GT. I am really contemplating getting aftermarket coilvers this thanksgiving if I get a sale on those.

I will be in the market to replace my wife's ICE car in a couple of years and I think the main criteria for me would be to have a comfier ride. We both love the Mach E but if we had kids, I would probably pick a cruiser.

DustyShades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWD Ex Infinite Blue
Country flag
That’s fair. But I see that as incremental increases and not really a huge leap.

Then again, back in 2007 when the 2025 CAFE standards came out, I said “no freakin way, impossible standard, not gonna happen.”

Oh wait….. I still feel that way lol!

“The final rule establishes standards that would require an industry-wide fleet average of approximately 49 mpg for passenger cars and light trucks in model year 2026, by increasing fuel efficiency by 8% annually for model years 2024 and 2025, and 10% annually for model year 2026.”
https://www.nhtsa.gov/laws-regulations/corporate-average-fuel-economy

49 mpg average for cars just a couple years from now? Lol the standards are still ridiculous. Impossible without “cheating” by not using gasoline at all. My math teacher taught me you can’t divide by zero (miles per gallon), I guess they were wrong?
But isn’t that the goal? Make the standards so high that you have to electrify at least a large portion of your lineup.
Sponsored