Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The cruise control has some quirks, but the overall design approach is excellent. None my previous EVs with adaptive CC let you fall back to regular cruise if something went wrong with the front sensors (dirt, snow, etc). We have: selectable Cruise Control (just maintains a constant speed), Adaptive CC (maintains a gap, probably radar and camera), and intelligent CC which adds in auto speed set by reading the speed limit signs.

The intelligent CC is really interesting. It could be a blessing, like on two lane highways that keep going back and forth from stretches 55 mph, then down to 45 mph, and finally 30 mph through the center of towns. But, it can be disconcerting if you are moving along as some mph above the speed limit and it reads a speed limit sign, at which point it reduces the speed to the sign speed.

You can set a "delta" from the marked speed, Ford calls the CC tolerance, but that tolerance then applies everywhere. For example, around here, 72 or 73 is pretty safe out on the thruway. Around 75, especially if it is quiet, you can get pulled over. (I know 80 is normal in a lot of places, but not here.). So, I could set a CC tolerance of about 7 or 8 for the highway (65 + 7 to 72). But, then if I use the intelligent CC on a local road that is 40, it would read the sign, and immediately set 47, which in this town might get you a ticket near residential neighborhoods, where 42 to 44 is probably safe. So, the bummer is that one might have to be constantly tweaking the Intelligent CC tolerance, or just set it to zero, set your desired speed up as desired, but then you have to do that every time it sees a sign!

Or, sometimes, just drop back from intelligent CC to adaptive CC.

So, it's pretty cool. [Probably] You can use CC even if the gap sensors fault, and it can read signs. I think the next step is the ability to set different tolerances for different speed ranges, or maybe a % of speed, instead of mph (so more delta at higher speeds, less at 30 or 40 mph). I suppose it should be possible to set desired tolerances by certain roads, stretches of roads, highways, etc. too.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Agree with you that on highways no reason to use intelligent CC as it does not allow more than 5mph over speed limit. It is Best suited for roads that have some stop lights or varying speeds where 5mph tolerance works but still can cruise for long stretches.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Agree with you that on highways no reason to use intelligent CC as it does not allow more than 5mph over speed limit. It is Best suited for roads that have some stop lights or varying speeds where 5mph tolerance works but still can cruise for long stretches.
I thought you could set up to a 19 mph tolerance for intelligent CC?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I thought you could set up to a 19 mph tolerance for intelligent CC?
I believe that is for ACC or something - I remember seeing that 19 mph when setting up but not for intelligent CC. I will check again. I clearly remember questioning the 5mph for intelligent CC as its +/- and I was thinking so I could in theory go at 35 on a 30mph country road going through a one stop light town and likely get a ticket.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe that is for ACC or something - I remember seeing that 19 mph when setting up but not for intelligent CC. I will check again. I clearly remember questioning the 5mph for intelligent CC as its +/- and I was thinking so I could in theory go at 35 on a 30mph country road going through a one stop light town and likely get a ticket.
I think itā€™s 19mph for Intelligent CC and 5mph for the speed warning. ACC doesnā€™t care about speed limits.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I think itā€™s 19mph for Intelligent CC and 5mph for the speed warning. ACC doesnā€™t care about speed limits.
Ok may be you are right - will have to check

Tremor38

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I agree a percentage setting would be great. I do not like to go too fast through residential safety zones, but out highway traffic flow is fairly fast. Percentage would help for sure!

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium AWD extended range
Country flag
Are the cc set buttons on steering wheel supposed to do anything. Those and the volume buttons on the other side donā€™t click/push in or have any effect on anything

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are the cc set buttons on steering wheel supposed to do anything. Those and the volume buttons on the other side donā€™t click/push in or have any effect on anything
The center buttons toggle up and down. The words above and below them are just labels.

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium AWD extended range
Country flag
The center buttons toggle up and down. The words above and below them are just labels.
Haha good thing no one was filming I had to look like a complete idiot ...maybe I should take a look at the mauals
Thanks

OP
OP

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think I am going to drop back to Adaptive for most driving (not controlled by sign reading). Maybe on those long two lane highways with so many speed changes is where the intelligent CC will be helpful, or out on a highway where there is lots of time to find screens. It would be good if there was an easier way to switch between modes, and to set the speed tolerance, something near the top of an easier access screen.

I watched a dealer video that was pretty detailed where he was running through screens and options and talking about what he liked and not. As he scrolled through CC, he accidentally changed his tolerance from +3 to +6 without noticing the change. Not so bad, but Imagine he got a surprise on one of his later drives.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The cruise control has some quirks, but the overall design approach is excellent. None my previous EVs with adaptive CC let you fall back to regular cruise if something went wrong with the front sensors (dirt, snow, etc). We have: selectable Cruise Control (just maintains a constant speed), Adaptive CC (maintains a gap, probably radar and camera), and intelligent CC which adds in auto speed set by reading the speed limit signs.

The intelligent CC is really interesting. It could be a blessing, like on two lane highways that keep going back and forth from stretches 55 mph, then down to 45 mph, and finally 30 mph through the center of towns. But, it can be disconcerting if you are moving along as some mph above the speed limit and it reads a speed limit sign, at which point it reduces the speed to the sign speed.

You can set a "delta" from the marked speed, Ford calls the CC tolerance, but that tolerance then applies everywhere. For example, around here, 72 or 73 is pretty safe out on the thruway. Around 75, especially if it is quiet, you can get pulled over. (I know 80 is normal in a lot of places, but not here.). So, I could set a CC tolerance of about 7 or 8 for the highway (65 + 7 to 72). But, then if I use the intelligent CC on a local road that is 40, it would read the sign, and immediately set 47, which in this town might get you a ticket near residential neighborhoods, where 42 to 44 is probably safe. So, the bummer is that one might have to be constantly tweaking the Intelligent CC tolerance, or just set it to zero, set your desired speed up as desired, but then you have to do that every time it sees a sign!

Or, sometimes, just drop back from intelligent CC to adaptive CC.

So, it's pretty cool. [Probably] You can use CC even if the gap sensors fault, and it can read signs. I think the next step is the ability to set different tolerances for different speed ranges, or maybe a % of speed, instead of mph (so more delta at higher speeds, less at 30 or 40 mph). I suppose it should be possible to set desired tolerances by certain roads, stretches of roads, highways, etc. too.
Thanks for posting. I just thought we had the one type of CC. :)
It must be ACC that I am using (so far with much success). Really like that feature. Havent figured out how to set Basic CC (or whatever it is called) or ICC but I will play with those today.

I follow what you are saying about the posted speed + a little extra and it makes sense in how it is used but someone like my wife or daughter would never figure out the percentage.

Now, if it were a discount......they can both figure out what is 25% off an already 40% marked down item quicker than a computer can. :)