Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sounds good thanks for the information I'll give it a shot once my steering wheel comes in, should be around May.
I will post a few photos of the wheel column shroud lifted up and the air bag clips/connections later this month since a friend of mine wants to have a bit more detail on how to do it because he also bought a custom steering wheel.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Hadn't seen this before. Can't imagine that kind of money for a steering wheel. Yikes!

Alexb

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select, 2018 SC Mustang GT pp1
Country flag
I will post a few photos of the wheel column shroud lifted up and the air bag clips/connections later this month since a friend of mine wants to have a bit more detail on how to do it because he also bought a custom steering wheel.
Wonderful that will be quite helpful once I get to it.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Along with some other forum members here, I really liked the pre-production steering wheel that Ford had shown with the space gray interior in their press photos. The steering wheel was trimmed off in space gray on the lower section. Back a few months ago, I contacted Leo over at Exclusive Steering to have him create me such a wheel. I sent him a photo of the Ford pre-production steering wheel and told him I wanted it to look just like that but wanted high quality leather. I also sent them the middle rear seat headrest for color matching the space gray. I had them change the stitching to space gray to match the stitching on the console and door panels. It turned out exactly how I wanted it to and I installed the wheel late last night. Have not driven the car yet but I know I will like the feel of their high quality leather much better than the OEM wheel material.

I bought a new steering wheel from Ford to send to them so I would still be able to drive my car. It was a good thing, as it took them awhile to find a color of leather that matched space gray. Between purchasing a new wheel and customizing it, total cost was $1400. I know that is a lot of money but I wanted the look of that wheel and the feel of glove soft, high quality leather. I am sending them the wheel I took off my car and having it covered in black Alcantara (similar to Miko suede but higher quality) to match the center of the seats on the GTPE with performance gray leather trim at the bottom.

Here is a link to Exclusive Steering and the photos on their website are actually of my finished wheel. https://www.exclusivesteering.com/product/ford-mustang-mach-e-custom-steering-wheel-2021/

IMG_53121900.jpg

IMG_53141900.jpg

IMG_53171900.jpg

IMG_53191900.jpg
First Class Stuff Mate. You get car ā¤ love!

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hadn't seen this before. Can't imagine that kind of money for a steering wheel. Yikes!
Rick, yes not the cheapest mod but itā€™s something you interact with every time you drive. Not only does one change the style of the wheel (for looks) but also the material, padding and shape (for the feel). On my Focus RS went with a flat topped wheel (I like the feel of this style when on the track) and full black Alcantara with blue stitching plus carbon fiber trim to match the rest of the OEM interior. Most manufacturers just throw a cheap looking/feeling black wheel on the car and that doesnā€™t always work for me.

If you think $800-$1200 is expensive (I never pay more than that) then you really wouldnā€™t like some of my member friends over on the GT500 forum that pay upwards of $2K for their very fancy wheels. ?

Paddler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium w/Ext. Range Battery, RWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Rick, yes not the cheapest mod but itā€™s something you interact with every time you drive. Not only does one change the style of the wheel (for looks) but also the material, padding and shape (for the feel). On my Focus RS went with a flat topped wheel (I like the feel of this style when on the track) and full black Alcantara with blue stitching plus carbon fiber trim to match the rest of the OEM interior. Most manufacturers just throw a cheap looking/feeling black wheel on the car and that doesnā€™t always work for me.

If you think $800-$1200 is expensive (I never pay more than that) then you really wouldnā€™t like some of my member friends over on the GT500 forum that pay upwards of $2K for their very fancy wheels. ?
I copied Mark's wheel and it really makes a difference, at least to me, and that's what matters. Sure it was a wad of money, but the MME was a wad of money when the car it replaced had all of 20K miles on it and we didn't "need" the MME. But we love it - especially with a great looking/feeling steering wheel. I thank Mark for sharing this mod.

Lookitsdrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium
Country flag
Hi Markbrois,

I am a new owner of a Mach-E premium last of last week! Your custom steering wheel which looks awesome! I am planning to do the same thing but instead carbon fiber.
I was wondering if you could please assist me with a step by step of how to properly do the removal. I have read that the SRS has to be depowered and the 12V ground has to be unplugged. I am not sure where the fuse is located for the SRS and I tried looking into the manual but I canā€™t seem to find it. Also if you could provide me steps of how you were able to keep the replacement wheel in the same exact teeth notch when putting it back so it isnā€™t misaligned.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi Markbrois,

I am a new owner of a Mach-E premium last of last week! Your custom steering wheel which looks awesome! I am planning to do the same thing but instead carbon fiber.
I was wondering if you could please assist me with a step by step of how to properly do the removal. I have read that the SRS has to be depowered and the 12V ground has to be unplugged. I am not sure where the fuse is located for the SRS and I tried looking into the manual but I canā€™t seem to find it. Also if you could provide me steps of how you were able to keep the replacement wheel in the same exact teeth notch when putting it back so it isnā€™t misaligned.
Hi Andrew,

I sent you a DM. Iā€™ll help you with the removal once you get the new wheel.

Lookitsdrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium
Country flag
I just installed my customized forged carbon fiber steering wheel. Thanks to @markboris for helping me install it! I didnā€™t get a chance to install the alcantara airbag cover because we didnā€™t have any guide to properly remove it from the OEM one. But I think it looks awesome the way it is. I may tackle it on in the future.

IMG_4841.jpeg

IMG_4839.jpeg

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just installed my customized forged carbon fiber steering wheel. Thanks to @markboris for helping me install it! I didnā€™t get a chance to install the alcantara airbag cover because we didnā€™t have any guide to properly remove it from the OEM one. But I think it looks awesome the way it is. I may tackle it on in the future.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Customized my Mach-E steering wheel IMG_4839
Andrew, your forged carbon fiber wheel looks great. In the ICE Mustang world, we have been using forged carbon fiber for several of the body parts and it really gives it a unique look. It would be cool if you were able to replace the dash trim and or the door switch trim panels with the same forged carbon fiber panels to match your wheel.

Forged carbon fiber hood vent on a GT500

Ford Mustang Mach-E Customized my Mach-E steering wheel A348A603-D876-4E2F-B660-D8B993CBE690DD

MuckyMach-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Yes, it works just the same, heating and all. It took about two months because they had no core to work from since it was the first Mach-E wheel they had done. I had to buy a wheel and send to them (was not going to send them mine off the car since I still wanted to drive it) and it took them some time to find the right color leather to match the space gray. They had to contact some of their suppliers in Europe for that.
Can they add weight to the wheel so I can pretend my MY21 in the UK has got BlueCruise hands free? šŸ˜‚

Lookitsdrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium
Country flag
Andrew, your forged carbon fiber wheel looks great. In the ICE Mustang world, we have been using forged carbon fiber for several of the body parts and it really gives it a unique look. It would be cool if you were able to replace the dash trim and or the door switch trim panels with the same forged carbon fiber panels to match your wheel.

Forged carbon fiber hood vent on a GT500

Ford Mustang Mach-E Customized my Mach-E steering wheel A348A603-D876-4E2F-B660-D8B993CBE690DD
Thank you! I wanted a unique look. I have always went with the twill weave carbon fiber with my previous cars. Yes I have seen some forge switch covers and also the exterior door pillars

JoeyD

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium 4X
Occupation
School Bus Driver
Country flag

Andrew, that is a very cool looking wheel. Looks very similar to my neighbor's custom wheel in his GT500. Now that you have had it on a week or so, how does it feel when driving?

RubyRedBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag
Looking good Andrew, we must have got a wheel from the same place - I havenā€™t had time to put mine in yet but Iā€™m itching to.

D9A763F9-2A9E-49B3-8D27-F9492E1CC08B.jpeg
Sponsored