Daily driver? - 124 miles RT commute - Atlanta GA - Experience with lots of interstate miles?

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
I have a 100 mile RT commute. 80% highway, 20% local roads. Some stop-n-go. Car does great. I have charging at work, and at home. I can get away with charging every other day if using charging at home. But if I charge at work, I tend to plug in everyday since it is a little bit cheaper.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KarenW

KarenW

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MachE P/ERB, Nite Pony; 2019 Ford F250 XLT4x4
Occupation
Paralegal
This is an interesting analysis. I too am looking at a '23 Premium but am debating b/t going for ER NCM battery or SR's LFP. The latter as you highlighted can be charged at 100%. Therefore IRL, the range useability is near that of the ER's 80%. I understand that one can go 100% once in awhile for road trip.

The battery degradation threads on the NCM is worth a concern. But I do like the ER comfort margin. Wish Ford went with LFP for both for a more apples to apples comparison.
Aren't LFPs better overall?

OP
OP
KarenW

KarenW

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Paralegal
And how accurate/subjective are the recurrent reports about battery status? The MME I am considering is rated excellent but not outstanding.

VaporTrails

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GTPE
Country flag
Aren't LFPs better overall?
They are better in many respects, but not all. LFP batteries are heavier by a lot. They bring the weight of the standard range up to the weight of the extended range with Nickel Cobalt Manganeze. They also suffer charging problems in below-freezing temperatures.

JustBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE, Impala, Santa Fe
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I commute about 40 miles each way with about 30 on interstate. The past year with my Mach-E has been great. Easy to zip around slow drivers on the highway and I love the regenerative brakes for the stoplights in the city. It's the best part of my day.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
If you have free charging at work you're perfect for any trim. You get to change your charging percentage by location (how much energy is put into the battery in intervals of 5%). You could charge entirely at work, and depending on the charging speed, you can set it to maximize the free energy by charging to a higher percentage if it finishes right as you're leaving.

However for Atl traffic, when I pass through I switch into aggressive driving posture as anyone that drives it can understand. I'd look at a dual motor variant w/ ER pack. W/ the GT you can hit pretty much any gap / pull out, particularly w/ left turns as the vehicle is very predictable. If you're set on basic standard, look for an LFP pack vehicle as they can regularly charge to 100% and the battery still out live the typical Li-ion chemistries by a large margin -- assuming it's something you're looking to keep for the long term. The LFP cars should be able to get 500k miles out of them or more with minimal maint.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I don't commute (retired).....however, I do travel to Knoxville regularly and that is 150 miles round trip plus whatever running around we do while there. I have the extended range all wheel drive premium. I make that trip with a 90% charge and get home with plenty of range left....30-60 miles depending on how cold it is. It's downhill to Knoxville but up hill on the way home.

Currently 81000 miles on my car and I have not noticed any appreciable range decrease. I have not connected to a diagnostic tool to verify but seat of the pants tells me I am still well within acceptable depreciation limits.

If you can charge at home, that 120mi commute will be no issue

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I have a '21 First Edition (so extended range) and commute 106 miles RT each day, 80% highway. I really only charge at work. Looks like I typically use around 40% of battery in a day (based on recent stats, around 40-50F outside and I drive it like a Mustang EV, not a Nissan Leaf haha). I've done this for 3 years now without issue.

OP
OP
KarenW

KarenW

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Paralegal
While I do plan to charge at home and do have the ability to charge at work, doing more research, I agree that getting as much battery range as I can is smart. So I am no longer considering the SR model I was looking at. A shame as I really dug the Cyber Orange color. So now set to test drive a ERB model with a 91kwh battery. It's still a premium with RWD but does have the 300A equipment group and the Nite Pony pkg (it's Space White). It'll do if the dealer doesn't make me hate it.

I love the GTs. Had a 1986 ICE one back in the day, but don't really need it. My lead foot needs no more encouragement and I haven't had to pay any air fare lately for flying around the ATL/GA in a while. šŸ˜‰ Hopefully I did not just jinx that. Gotta say, the Outback hums along at 90 - 95mph quite nicely, but I will not miss my twice weekly stops at the gas station.

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I commute about 40 miles each way with about 30 on interstate. The past year with my Mach-E has been great. Easy to zip around slow drivers on the highway and I love the regenerative brakes for the stoplights in the city. It's the best part of my day.
Yeah, I got the 23 GT all-wheel-drive with the extended battery and with it staying around the 40s and 60s here in Mississippi. I drive probably around 30 to 40 miles round-trip a day. The only reason Iā€™ll put it on a charger may be every three days if I have like 120 miles I could go on the car especially if it gets cold the next day it wants to use more battery stations convenience store to stop at in my Nissan rogue. Yesterday, for instance it was 59Ā° and the road I normally drive on itā€™s 2.6 to 2.9 kWh and yesterday at that temperature it was more like 1.9 1.6 sometimes and is it warmed up and got back up to the 2.8. Iā€™m very happy with my car. Itā€™s justfun to drive after gas powered mustangs forever I didnā€™t think I would enjoy but I really love it because the wife likes an SUV and I like a Mustang and if sheā€™s happy, it makes it more fun
Sponsored