kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag
I recently came across this Kickstarter and figured, what the hell, why not.

I liked that it offered dual 4K (front/rear). It doesn't ship for a few months.
Thanks for the link for the Dride4K kiskstarter. Just beware that, according to the comments page, the rear camera is not 4K but full HD.
Sponsored

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
I'm also thinking about a dash cam (but not confident enough to do a self install). I see the official Ford site has one that fits the bill (VHL32 196490-D) for $329 plus you can add on installation at purchase for an additional $200 (my local pricing). If it's the same Thinkware as mentioned (F200) it can be had on Amazon for $179. But I'm with others in that the Ford installation comes with warranty advantages and Synch 4 integration. It is frustrating that Ford charges such a premium for older technology.

The Thinkware U1000 ($500) and similar high end units looks to be a significant technology upgrade but at a much higher price, once you add it installation and possible options (radar accessory or external battery.) So I'm still pondering and looking to the combined wisdom of the forum (which has a pretty good track record!).

RyanSD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME AWD EXT, 2013 Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
IT Systems Architect
Country flag
Thanks for the link for the Dride4K kiskstarter. Just beware that, according to the comments page, the rear camera is not 4K but full HD.
Yup, fully aware as they specified that on the campaign. The feature I am most looking forward to is that the rear camera is connected wirelessly to the main unit. No long cables to run. Just tap into the nearest power and they sync up.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dash cam 7A2E80B7-FD64-479C-A0EA-579B6B5BA922

And then there is this little bonus…

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dash cam 6C3FCAD0-EFEA-4791-A85A-321CC2E351D3

Last edited:

PrimeFuture

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER, 2013 Ford Focus
Country flag
I'm also thinking about a dash cam (but not confident enough to do a self install). I see the official Ford site has one that fits the bill (VHL32 196490-D) for $329 plus you can add on installation at purchase for an additional $200 (my local pricing). If it's the same Thinkware as mentioned (F200) it can be had on Amazon for $179. But I'm with others in that the Ford installation comes with warranty advantages and Synch 4 integration. It is frustrating that Ford charges such a premium for older technology.
Do you think we could buy the camera from Amazon and then have the dealer install it? It's the same camera so it shouldn't make any difference to them... right? Saving $150 would be nice...

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
It would be an interesting question to pose to the dealer. It appears when you purchase the dashcam from Ford, they offer installation as an add-on. Not sure how they would handle it separately, price-wise (or warranty-wise.) My independent audio installer charges $100 per hour to install a dashcam, regardless of its origin of purchase. I'm leaning toward the Viofo 139 3 camera setup, right now and using an external battery for sentry duty. Black Friday sales are starting so hoping to see if significant discounts are in the mix. blackboxmycar.com is a Canadian retailer with a lot of good information on its site.

MustThee?

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach Premium E

The Thinkware U1000 ($500) and similar high end units looks to be a significant technology upgrade but at a much higher price, once you add it installation and possible options (radar accessory or external battery.) So I'm still pondering and looking to the combined wisdom of the forum (which has a pretty good track record!).
What did you mean by “Synch 4 integration”? Any more info on this?

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
What did you mean by “Synch 4 integration”? Any more info on this?
Earlier in this topic, Buskor, on item #22, shows a photo of the interface on "the big screen" and gives and pretty good description of what it does. I haven't checked it out locally or with Ford, as of yet. Knut is from Norway, so I hope the feature is also available here.

MustThee?

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach Premium E
Earlier in this topic, Buskor, on item #22, shows a photo of the interface on "the big screen" and gives and pretty good description of what it does. I haven't checked it out locally or with Ford, as of yet. Knut is from Norway, so I hope the feature is also available here.
Oh I totally missed that. I didn’t see a ford cam in the ford accessories here in the US. I ordered the one that was shown which is a Thinkware dash cam bundle. I got it installed at the ford dealer but they didn’t know much about it. I know I paid more then elsewhere but wanted someone to do the wiring correctly. It works via the Thinkware app (cameras don’t have screens) but I don’t think there is any integration with ford sync.

Keithp

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan leaf SV
Occupation
QA tech
Country flag
I'm curious to see how many of you are going to be getting a dash cam, or if you planned on holding out to see if a future OTA update enables a sentry mode type setting. And if you are getting one, do you plan to get the one offered by ford or do you have another one in mind?
I already bought a great traffic cam. Same company as my leaf had and my wife's Honda CR-V has. Autovox V5. Replaced the rear view mirror. The V5 is super sensitive and records if the car is touched. The older v2 autovox is less sensitive but does not vibrate like the V5 does. The V5 vibrates so cars in the regular mirror mode are not as clear as the side mirrors. Not a huge deal.
Sponsored