Dash Cam Battery Cutoff Voltage Settings

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Hey guys,

I just installed my Thinkware Dash Cam using the OBD port and I was wondering what settings should I put here for the voltage cutoff?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dash Cam Battery Cutoff Voltage Settings IMG_0949.PNG

The values here are the default ones.
Sponsored

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
12.2 or 12.3 are best for the batteries lifespan.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I'm considering a dash cam. Had no idea you could use the OBD port for power. Where is the OBD port? Got any pics of the install? How do you like the cam?

OP
OP
gnaark

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I'm considering a dash cam. Had no idea you could use the OBD port for power. Where is the OBD port? Got any pics of the install? How do you like the cam?
so I was gonna make another post that goes into details once I install the rear cam and “tidy up” my build.

but dude it’s piss easy. I ordered everything from Blackboxmycar and picked the electric OBD cable (even though they say it doesn’t work with the MME).

the OBD port is under the steering wheel and out in the open: nothing to remove it’s just out of sight. Just bend with a flashlight and you’ll see it.

right now I have my cam installed with the wire dangling down to the OBD cable: it looks like shit but a dashcam not installed is useless.

it works really well. You just have to make sure the switch on the OBD port is set for parking mode and you must enable parking mode on the cam settings (and do the firmware upgrade). Def way easier than hardwiring.

i got some clear mounting tape that I’m gonna use to hide the cables around the car trim.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I'm considering a dash cam. Had no idea you could use the OBD port for power. Where is the OBD port?
Using the OBD is very contentious in many communities. If you search Google for "Safe to use OBD for power" you'll come up with a bunch of people who know far more than I about the subject. Some of the issues that people bring up, rightly or wrongly, are things like:
Regardless of your stance on using OBD, I think there would a clear consensus that using a fuse tap on an unused fuse is far and beyond much safer and just as easy. Doing so prevents the possibility of affecting other systems in the vehicle. There's many unused fuse locations in the interior fuse box. I just did a write up on my install of a dashcam and radar detector here using a fuse tap and used fuse locations 1-2 and 5, all of which are "not used" for the vehicle.

As for the OPs question, I have my physical cutoff device set to 12.5 and it cuts off 90% of the time. I need to do some testing on the battery to see where it likes to be and adjust accordingly. Here's the chart for battery health.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dash Cam Battery Cutoff Voltage Settings 1634739338813

Last edited:

OP
OP
gnaark

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Regardless of your stance on using OBD, I think there would a clear consensus that using a fuse tap on an unused fuse is far and beyond much safer and just as easy
You cannot be serious.

Your article (from 2017) is about some guy that had a device dangling with a foot long not secured cable with exposed wires that were short circuiting.

the conclusion of the article even states:
“If you absolutely need to plug something into your OBD port via a cable, be sure the cable is in perfect shape, and secure it in such a way that it won’t be damaged. Follow the instructions carefully, and never modify any of the wiring or pins. And never, ever allow the connection cable to sit in an area where it could be damaged”

Also how is hardwiring through a fuse “as easy” as “plug and play”. It’s literally 1 step, please don’t troll.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
You cannot be serious.

Also how is hardwiring through a fuse “as easy” as “plug and play”. It’s literally 1 step, please don’t troll.
No one is trolling except for you. Plugging something into a fuse is just as easy as plugging something into an OBD. It's a single plug either way.

If you want to take the risk to your vehicle go right ahead. That's your choice. Being too lazy to pull off a fuse box cover is laughable. You have to run the wire regardless of OBD or fuse tap. If you would Google the phrase that I mentioned you'll find far and beyond more people who agree with my sentiments over yours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gnaark

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
No one is trolling except for you. Plugging something into a fuse is just as easy as plugging something into an OBD. It's a single plug either way.

If you want to take the risk to your vehicle go right ahead. That's your choice. If you would Google the phrase that I mentioned you'll find far and beyond more people who agree with my sentiments over yours.
Right. Let's compare those steps:
OBD install: 1 step > OBD Cable Dash Cam Installation — BlackboxMyCar
Fuse install: 4 steps > How to Hardwire a Dash Cam | Installation Guide | BlackboxMyCar

Totally 0 chances here that a two left handed clumsy boy won't screw something up in the fuse box.

Also you conveniently disregard what the Ford manual says:
"WARNING: Always disconnect the battery before servicing high current fuses"
Because disconnecting the battery totally doesn't add a step.

Let's apply Occam's razor here: if the OBD port was THAT dangerous it wouldn't be accessible that easily. It would be at least behind some sort of cover at least like, oh the fuse box.

You must be the same kind of guy whom the other day told me it was not safe for the battery to charge at home past 80% and started to send me NASA articles.
The source you sent me literally said it was fine to use the OBD port as long as you gnaw on your wires.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Also you conveniently disregard what the Ford manual says:
"WARNING: Always disconnect the battery before servicing high current fuses"
Ok you obviously like to cherry pick... I said use an UNUSED fuse (12v is not high current)... but you do you. OBD (in cars in the 80's) was never designed to have electronics plugged into it, unless you had a dashcam in the 80s?. Your disdain for those who try to help is not lost on anyone. You're obviously an electrical engineer so I should just shutup and move on. ?

Last edited:

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
lol, wow big fight! Honestly I'm in agreement the fuse panel isn't really hard, but it *is* harder then a simple plug. Just remember that OBD plug comes off when you bring it in for service to plug up the computer. If you attach to the fuse panel the dashcam keeps on rolling video... Food for thought.
Sponsored