Pcp1701

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, Model Y, Model S
Country flag
I've seen the FPL thread, but I was wondering if people would share their experiences with DC Fast Charging in general. I took delivery on my MME Premium AWD on March 29 2021 and I'm still at 35% charge because I don't need to drive all that much lately and I was refraining from Level 2 charging at home in order to try fast charging and see what happens. I'm going to try Electrify America.
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
It seems it depends where you are and who you are. The consensus is plug and charge doesn't usually work. If you're going to use EA just have their app all setup and do it that way. It usually works fine and doesn't error out for me. The only errors I ever get are upon first plug in, then I just plug in again and it works fine for the entire charge.

Besides EA I've only used a 50kW chargepoint charger and it worked fine from start to finish, no errors.

You just have to try it and see how it goes for you. EA support is great, so if you have issues just call them. They may even give you free charge time.

Dylancch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I typically get 70kwh a bit low but its been very reliable in canada

OP
OP

Pcp1701

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, Model Y, Model S
Country flag
I've seen the FPL thread, but I was wondering if people would share their experiences with DC Fast Charging in general. I took delivery on my MME Premium AWD on March 29 2021 and I'm still at 35% charge because I don't need to drive all that much lately and I was refraining from Level 2 charging at home in order to try fast charging and see what happens. I'm going to try Electrify America.
DC Charging Update: I went a local Electrify America charging station in a Walmart parking lot here in Fort Lauderdale. I wanted to see how things went and after seeing various Youtube reviews and reading posts describing problems with the handshake, technical difficulties, and bad stations I was prepared to try different chargers, use my credit card, etc.

IT WORKED PERFECTLY

Handshake took about 10 seconds, charging began immediately, the charger recognized the car and I got my complementary charging.

31%-80% ran 110-140 KwH's the entire time, then charging fell off a cliff and went to about 15 KwH's. I'd heard about this and was prepared for it. It doesn't really bother me because I would not intentionally schedule a charging stop on a road trip below the 20% mark. I just prefer a higher margin for error. I understand the rationale for protecting the battery from the uninitiated, but I really hope that Ford does an OTA update to adjust the curve. Other than that, I don't know if it's geography or just EA's software engineers fixing things but I was thrilled that I didn't receive an experience that would make me regret the purchase. Kudos.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
DC Charging Update: I went a local Electrify America charging station in a Walmart parking lot here in Fort Lauderdale. I wanted to see how things went and after seeing various Youtube reviews and reading posts describing problems with the handshake, technical difficulties, and bad stations I was prepared to try different chargers, use my credit card, etc.

IT WORKED PERFECTLY

Handshake took about 10 seconds, charging began immediately, the charger recognized the car and I got my complementary charging.

31%-80% ran 110-140 KwH's the entire time, then charging fell off a cliff and went to about 15 KwH's. I'd heard about this and was prepared for it. It doesn't really bother me because I would not intentionally schedule a charging stop on a road trip below the 20% mark. I just prefer a higher margin for error. I understand the rationale for protecting the battery from the uninitiated, but I really hope that Ford does an OTA update to adjust the curve. Other than that, I don't know if it's geography or just EA's software engineers fixing things but I was thrilled that I didn't receive an experience that would make me regret the purchase. Kudos.
That sounds a lot like my charging sessions. See descriptions and videos at:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/post-126280
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/post-129560
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/post-133460

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It seems it depends where you are and who you are. The consensus is plug and charge doesn't usually work. If you're going to use EA just have their app all setup and do it that way. It usually works fine and doesn't error out for me. The only errors I ever get are upon first plug in, then I just plug in again and it works fine for the entire charge.

Besides EA I've only used a 50kW chargepoint charger and it worked fine from start to finish, no errors.

You just have to try it and see how it goes for you. EA support is great, so if you have issues just call them. They may even give you free charge time.
I disagree with your interpretation of the consensus. While early on there were problems with P&C on the Ford end, those have improved. I had multiple totally clean P&C sessions. You just need to be prepared it may stop part of the way through if the EA-Ford communication issues haven't been resolved. If it stops it should work fine on restart.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I disagree with your interpretation of the consensus. While early on there were problems with P&C on the Ford end, those have improved. I had multiple totally clean P&C sessions. You just need to be prepared it may stop part of the way through if the EA-Ford communication issues haven't been resolved. If it stops it should work fine on restart.
Sounds like it still has issues and doesn't work properly from what you're saying. Besides the plug in issue on occasion, using the EA app to start it I have never had it fail mid charge. However I have had it go fairly slow and require and unplug and replug to get back up to 150kW. I just haven't tried P&C recently so maybe it has gotten better.

Everyones results are different though it seems, which is kind of odd.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Just came back from a road trip from SF to LA. Charged up at three EA stations.

1) Anaheim CA - Used the FordPass app to activate the charger - worked perfectly (used the app just for kicks); charged from 25% to 80% In 33min.
2) Pismo Beach - Used P&C and worked great; charged from 20% to 80% in 40 min
3) Salinas - Used P&C and worked great; charged from 25% to 55% in 17min

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag

1) Anaheim CA - Used the FordPass app to activate the charger - worked perfectly (used the app just for kicks); charged from 25% to 80% In 33min.
Did you track your kWh rates?

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

That's awesome. I'll be doing 101 from SF to Santa Barbara and back in the near future and had my eyes on the Pismo charger ?

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
That's awesome. I'll be doing 101 from SF to Santa Barbara and back in the near future and had my eyes on the Pismo charger ?
Charged car to 100% and made it down to SLO with 14% remaining. Again this was from SF, so if you are down in South Bay you should definitely be able to reach Pismo with plenty to spare.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DC Fast Charging IMG_2076

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Did you track your kWh rates?
In terms of the drive or the charging?

Overall trip it averaged to 3.0 miles / kWh.

Charging rates @ EA spiked early on @ 160kWh, then hit around 100 kWh for most before it started to taper down as it approached 80% SoC.

From my Ford receipts:
1) 52 kW @ 33min
2) 52 kW @ 40min
3) 32 kW @ 17 min

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Sounds like it still has issues and doesn't work properly from what you're saying. Besides the plug in issue on occasion, using the EA app to start it I have never had it fail mid charge. However I have had it go fairly slow and require and unplug and replug to get back up to 150kW. I just haven't tried P&C recently so maybe it has gotten better.

Everyones results are different though it seems, which is kind of odd.
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Occasionally it still has issues, so monitor your charging session. I've almost as many issues when starting from the EA app but then you know it's all EA's issue and not P&C.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Charged car to 100% and made it down to SLO with 14% remaining. Again this was from SF, so if you are down in South Bay you should definitely be able to reach Pismo with plenty to spare.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DC Fast Charging IMG_2076
I'm in Cow Hollow and have a Route 1, so not really worried about getting to SLO/Pismo. Plus we can hit the outlets and grab a bite while we charge up. Literally costs us no more time than a gas fill up would, since I'm sure the car would be charged up long before my wife was ready to stop shopping ?

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I'm in Cow Hollow and have a Route 1, so not really worried about getting to SLO/Pismo. Plus we can hit the outlets and grab a bite while we charge up. Literally costs us no more time than a gas fill up would, since I'm sure the car would be charged up long before my wife was ready to stop shopping ?
Manage your expectations on the outlet shopping there. :)
Sponsored