Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
ICE break-in is mostly for the ring to cylinder wall contact. Even if the block is honed with a torque plate the compression rings will not have a perfect seal on the cylinder walls. The objectives on ICE break-in are to wear down the high spots in the cylinder walls and match the ring OD to the bore ID, while not glazing the cylinder walls or ring faces. This can be accomplished by running the engine under moderate to mildly heavy load at medium engine speeds. On throttle for a little while, then off throttle for a little while. The off throttle time creates a bit of vacuum in the cylinders, pulling more oil toward the rings to help flush out wear particles and aid in cooling (reducing the chances for falling and glazing). The on throttle time creates pressure which helps push the rings out against the cylinder walls.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Am I being too anal?

After some issues not related to my vehicle, I was finally able to pick up my Mach-E from the dealership today. The thing is that when I first saw my Mach-E last month, there was a total of 6 miles, but this morning before I took it home the odometer had 18 miles. They told me that they were moving it between lots and I shouldn't worry, but that really irked me. Were they test driving my Mach-E while I was gone? The saleswoman told me people were offering to buy my vehicle off the lot, and I don't blame them, but c'mon...

Am I being anal over ~10 extra miles?
yes.

Whatever maintenance they performed, they SHOULD have test driven it, and of course moving it requires driving it also.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag
I'm pretty sure they do some kind of test, at the dealership... think there's a proper name for it... where they have to drive it some after delivery. That did that for my wife's, think we left the lot with 10-15ish miles on it.

my2ndstang

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Extended AWD Mach E
Country flag
I actually told the folks at the dealership to make sure they take my car out and experience what it is like to drive these things. Have as much fun as they can because once I get there I am going to arrange payment and speed off. They shouldn't plan on seeing me again for quite a while. :)

In reality, I was back there in 3 days to order a new windshield due to a stone from the road. They only put 34 or 36 miles on the car from what I remember.
How long did it take to get the replacement windshield? I just got a crack from my windshield as well.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
How long did it take to get the replacement windshield? I just got a crack from my windshield as well.
Ouch, I am also in NJ.. Which fabulous road did it happen on?

I had clearplex added to my windshield since I am a chip magnet. Wish it was chic but those days are over :)

my2ndstang

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Extended AWD Mach E
Country flag
Ouch, I am also in NJ.. Which fabulous road did it happen on?

I had clearplex added to my windshield since I am a chip magnet. Wish it was chic but those days are over :)
I was crossing the George Washing Bridge at the time. They were doing construction, so I believe it was some sort of metal nut or bolt. I had safelite "repair it", but it seems it still got a bit larger since the repair.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Anything under 30 I would not worry about. It's not unusual for service tech to go through a delivery inspection. They have to test drive the vehicle to confirm it's working.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I actually told the folks at the dealership to make sure they take my car out and experience what it is like to drive these things. Have as much fun as they can because once I get there I am going to arrange payment and speed off. They shouldn't plan on seeing me again for quite a while. :)

In reality, I was back there in 3 days to order a new windshield due to a stone from the road. They only put 34 or 36 miles on the car from what I remember.
Ugh ... I actually got a nice ding on my windshield last month during a road trip to and from TX. I'd heard rocks hitting my windshield all the way there and back, scary-sounding but no damage, until I was about 90 minutes from home and going through a construction zone, then THWACK! And you just know the sound of an object damaging the glass, so my stomach sank as I looked around and saw it over on the passenger side. The chip was repairable, but annoyingly enough the cracks it left are not. Every time I look to my right my eyes go right to it, and the cracks sometimes cast a shadow on the pillar ? I suppose I should be thankful it wasn't on the driver's side.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dealership Added Extra Miles crack

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I was crossing the George Washing Bridge at the time. They were doing construction, so I believe it was some sort of metal nut or bolt. I had safelite "repair it", but it seems it still got a bit larger since the repair.
I would wait till it gets worse but the lead time can be a few weeks for a replacement.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm pretty sure they do some kind of test, at the dealership... think there's a proper name for it... where they have to drive it some after delivery. That did that for my wife's, think we left the lot with 10-15ish miles on it.
15-20 is the norm for most, I had 18 on mine, but 3 where from the dealer.

jdunc87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT PE, 20 Mustang GT 401A PP1, 21 F150
Occupation
make stuff go faster
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about it. It's like the people who say "this car has never seen snow/rain" Meanwhile it came off the carrier covered in road salt or sat on the lot through monsoon season. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
working in the custom car/classic car world.... i hear this FAR too often. My favorite is the never seen rain part meanwhile they're washing it LOL. iTs NoT tHe SaMe... surrrreee.. Oh my other favorite is its never seen rain meanwhile they're taking it through an awful touch car wash
Sponsored