Track44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have been following this forum for almost six months and want to express my thanks and appreciation for the wealth of knowledge that has been shared by so many. I ordered an extended range, rear wheel drive rapid red Premium on January 28, 2021. The salesman I have been working with (super nice guy) called this morning to say the car had arrived at the dealership. We made arrangements for me to come to the dealership this afternoon to see the car and start on the paperwork.

As many others have stated, many dealerships are either clueless or ethically challenged. I fear that i have encountered the latter. Actually, probably both!

What should have been a relatively easy meeting soon turned into the worst commercial transaction I have ever encountered (including 46 years as a transactional attorney):

(1)My order was for $53,740.00. After two hours, when I was finally presented with numbers, the purchase price was presented as $69,304.46, consisting of some unspecified combination of ADM, add-ons I did not request, and the sales tax on the entire mess. And they did not give me credit for my $500.00 deposit.

(2)When I showed them all my order information they said that was not a contract and the price of cars had gone up. Funny thing, but my window sticker still shows $53,740.00 as of today.

(3)First they said the Mach E did not qualify for X-plan. When I showed them the information showing it did they eventually came back and said they would not honor it, thus no reduction in the price, which I'm guessing should have been in the $1,400.00 range.

(4)They showed no options financing, only the entire amount being financed. That was interesting because I made a special trip to the dealership a month ago to discuss options financing. They knew nothing about it that time and my hope was they would familiarize themselves with it. That was a wasted trip. End result, no $1,000.00 incentive and a $490.00 doc fee.

(5)Apparently they have previously charged at least a $5,000.00 ADM on a Mach E and it's pretty apparent to me they want this car to sell at some crazy price.

(6)While not directly related to the Mach E, my attempt to trade in a vehicle was the same s**t show. Approximately six months ago when I ordered the car I had the dealership appraise my 2019 CX5 as a possible trade in. I already had a firm offer from CarMax for $22,000.00 for the car and the dealership matched that. As we are all aware, used car prices have increased dramatically in the last six months. The dealership had a large poster saying they would give a "real offer based on the trusted Kelley Blue Book Trade In Values". I just happened to have a Kelley Blue Book Pricing Report I did earlier today. It said $28,040.00, the dealer said it was still $22,000.00. I went straight from the dealer to CarMax, their new Appraisal offer was $26,600.00, good for one week. The dealer's rationale was that since car prices had gone up but I thought I was entitled to my original order price my trade in amount had to stay the same as six months ago. That is even more curious as I tried to get an updated trade-in value from the dealership 4 weeks ago and was told "it depends on the market its been a crazy market...if it is higher...will be glad to give you more money still needs to see what book value is..."

(7)All of the above took place with the salesman's manager. I asked to speak with the general manager or owner and was told he was not available but they would have him call me. I stated that was not acceptable and I wanted a face to face meeting with him and wanted to schedule that. Apparently no one knows his schedule so he'll call me to set up a time. It's a big dealership, I bet someone there knows his schedule. After stating I thought he was probably hiding in his office I left.

That's enough for now, I know I've neglected to mention other crazy things from today but that should give you the flavor. I'm bewildered, frustrated and just generally really angry. I know there have been solutions offered in the past but I haven't a lot of luck in finding them. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Ford is frowning on ADM on reserved/ordered cars. Definitely contact Mike Levine. He will set the dealer straight.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
As many others have stated, many dealerships are either clueless or ethically challenged. I fear that i have encountered the latter.
Others have provided concrete steps to resolve this situation. But, let's not protect crooked dealers. Call them out by name.

(6)While not directly related to the Mach E, my attempt to trade in a vehicle was the same s**t show. Approximately six months ago when I ordered the car I had the dealership appraise my 2019 CX5 as a possible trade in. I already had a firm offer from CarMax for $22,000.00 for the car and the dealership matched that. As we are all aware, used car prices have increased dramatically in the last six months. The dealership had a large poster saying they would give a "real offer based on the trusted Kelley Blue Book Trade In Values". I just happened to have a Kelley Blue Book Pricing Report I did earlier today. It said $28,040.00, the dealer said it was still $22,000.00. I went straight from the dealer to CarMax, their new Appraisal offer was $26,600.00, good for one week. The dealer's rationale was that since car prices had gone up but I thought I was entitled to my original order price my trade in amount had to stay the same as six months ago. That is even more curious as I tried to get an updated trade-in value from the dealership 4 weeks ago and was told "it depends on the market its been a crazy market...if it is higher...will be glad to give you more money still needs to see what book value is..."
Don't even bother with dealer trade-in. Get a quote from Carvana, Carmax, Vroom. Pick the highest and, if you want, let the give the dealer 5 min to beat it. If they can't beat it (not just match it) accept the offer from one of the online guys. The process literally takes 5 min.

OP
OP

Track44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Others have provided concrete steps to resolve this situation. But, let's not protect crooked dealers. Call them out by name.

Don't even bother with dealer trade-in. Get a quote from Carvana, Carmax, Vroom. Pick the highest and, if you want, let the give the dealer 5 min to beat it. If they can't beat it (not just match it) accept the offer from one of the online guys. The process literally takes 5 min.

The dealership is now agreeing with me on everything. Only issue is finance guy says Ford options finance rate is 4.75% instead of the 2.25% rate I have understood it to be. If anyone can point me to specific language from Ford on options interest rate it would be greatly appreciated. By the way, car I was going to trade is going to a private party for more than the CarMax offer. Thanks in advance.

DanHo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME RR 4x & 17 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
You can go on Ford.com and build it and look at the payments at the top. It will autofill the rate for Options.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
If you have the desire to get your best deal you really need to know your tax rate and take the best trade/buy offer you get times that tax rate (Example $50,000 * .0425 (4.25%) = $2125. If your dealer offer is $2125 less or more it's worth it due to the tax credit.) Essentially you already paid tax on your trade and in their paperwork you are only taxed on the "new" purchase amount.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
If you have the desire to get your best deal you really need to know your tax rate and take the best trade/buy offer you get times that tax rate (Example $50,000 * .0425 (4.25%) = $2125. If your dealer offer is $2125 less or more it's worth it due to the tax credit.) Essentially you already paid tax on your trade and in their paperwork you are only taxed on the "new" purchase amount.
That was what I did -- Carmax offered me $22k for my Bolt (well above KBB), and my dealership offered something like $18k. I told them I'd just take it to Carmax, sell it, and return the next day, but I guess their "DON'T LET THEM LEAVE!" training kicked in (as if I wasn't gonna come back for a Mach-E...) and they upped the trade in value to equal $22k when including the tax break. Fine with me.

OP
OP

Track44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That was what I did -- Carmax offered me $22k for my Bolt (well above KBB), and my dealership offered something like $18k. I told them I'd just take it to Carmax, sell it, and return the next day, but I guess their "DON'T LET THEM LEAVE!" training kicked in (as if I wasn't gonna come back for a Mach-E...) and they upped the trade in value to equal $22k when including the tax break. Fine with me.
They wouldn't budge. They said they would agree to sell it to me for the MSRP but I had to trade my car in for the $22,000.00. I told them to take a hike and left. I came back several hours later and an entirely different tone, they suddenly went back to my original price, options financing and xplan. I was shocked. Went back today to see paperwork and they tell me options financing is 4.75%, not 2.25%. This was based on an 800 credit score! When I questioned the finance guy he said Ford finance told them either they can't do the 2.25% or they shouldn't do the 2.25%. Either way, when we completed the finance app online yesterday for options financing it said 2.25%. Someone is full of crap, either the local dealership or Ford finance. To make matters worse, when I indicated I would just go get bank financing he said they wouldn't sell it to me that way or for cash either. Likewise with the Ford .9% for 4 years. They suggested I order another Mach E today and they would give me a good deal when it comes in!

They clearly want the car to sell for ADM or at a minimum want to make some money by financing options at 4.75.

Am I totally screwed? I want the car and don't want them to have a chance to make an extra $5,000.00 or more if I walk. The question is, how far do I bend over?

Its been a frustrating week. I'm way past angry and if I end up with this car hopefully I never have to set foot inside a dealership ever again.

Apologies for the rant.

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My dealer was clueless when it came to Ford Options. Original paperwork said 4.25% but when it went to Ford Credit I got an update that it went to 2.25%. I wasn’t too worried about the rate as I’m paying it off much earlier.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
They wouldn't budge. They said they would agree to sell it to me for the MSRP but I had to trade my car in for the $22,000.00. I told them to take a hike and left. I came back several hours later and an entirely different tone, they suddenly went back to my original price, options financing and xplan. I was shocked. Went back today to see paperwork and they tell me options financing is 4.75%, not 2.25%. This was based on an 800 credit score! When I questioned the finance guy he said Ford finance told them either they can't do the 2.25% or they shouldn't do the 2.25%. Either way, when we completed the finance app online yesterday for options financing it said 2.25%. Someone is full of crap, either the local dealership or Ford finance. To make matters worse, when I indicated I would just go get bank financing he said they wouldn't sell it to me that way or for cash either. Likewise with the Ford .9% for 4 years. They suggested I order another Mach E today and they would give me a good deal when it comes in!

They clearly want the car to sell for ADM or at a minimum want to make some money by financing options at 4.75.

Am I totally screwed? I want the car and don't want them to have a chance to make an extra $5,000.00 or more if I walk. The question is, how far do I bend over?

Its been a frustrating week. I'm way past angry and if I end up with this car hopefully I never have to set foot inside a dealership ever again.

Apologies for the rant.
@hybrid2bev, can you please give him some advice on the Ford Options?
Sponsored