Dealership wants my Mach E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
What is more than it's worth? They aren't buying it back if they can't sell it for more than they're paying you.
As much as people hate dealerships, they’ve earned our trust.

That’s why a dealer is easily able to sell a car for more than a private party can.

And more importantly for the dealer, they don’t even have to profit on a car sale to profit.

They can sell a car even at a slight loss and be ok…… as long as they use the sale to get extended warranties, financing and another trade in.
Sponsored

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
this would be a nice example of reverse ADM. How about ACM--Additional Customer Markup?
I've got an ID.4 AWD reservation from last March that I don't need. I was thinking of telling the VW dealer that I could leave the order in the system, and then decline it when it arrives, if they sell me a set of snow tires for $1 :)

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've got an ID.4 AWD reservation from last March that I don't need. I was thinking of telling the VW dealer that I could leave the order in the system, and then decline it when it arrives, if they sell me a set of snow tires for $1 :)
If their ordering system is anything like Ford, they don’t need you in this equation anymore. Cancelled order will still get delivered.

ChrisSJR

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Space White RWD ER (Spark-E), 2004 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Don’t forget about recouping the sales taxes, title fees, etc. that you paid.

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext ordered Feb 2022
Country flag
As much as people hate dealerships, they’ve earned our trust.

That’s why a dealer is easily able to sell a car for more than a private party can.

And more importantly for the dealer, they don’t even have to profit on a car sale to profit.

They can sell a car even at a slight loss and be ok…… as long as they use the sale to get extended warranties, financing and another trade in.
It's not that we trust them because we don't. Its that they are a business we can complain about to higher ups or sue if it gets that bad. Can't get that with some random private party seller that has nothing to lose.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's not that we trust them because we don't. Its that they are a business we can complain about to higher ups or sue if it gets that bad. Can't get that with some random private party seller that has nothing to lose.
And what you just described is called “trust.”

What you said is exactly why we trust them more than a private party and why we are willing to pay them more for the same vehicle.

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The dealership I bought my Mach E Premium AWD ER through has been hounding me the past two days to buy my car back. They are promising to buy back for more than it's worth if I order a 22' model. With an additional promise of giving me a deep discount on the new model. They are citing low inventory as the reason for this "deal".

Not sure I believe anything they're saying.

Anyway, I'm waiting on numbers for a 22' GTPE. ?
I'll sell him mine. Where is he?

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And what you just described is called “trust.”

What you said is exactly why we trust them more than a private party and why we are willing to pay them more for the same vehicle.
That is not the definition of trust. Choosing to shop at a particular place because I know I can sue or report them to the BBB definitely does not mean I trust them.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is not the definition of trust. Choosing to shop at a particular place because I know I can sue or report them to the BBB definitely does not mean I trust them.
I disagree.

If you didn’t trust them you wouldn’t shop there.

What you’re talking about though isn’t whether or not you trust them, just “how much” you trust them.

And you trust them enough to shop there. And you trust them more than a private party……… which was my only point.

I’ll use another example:

Mechanics

You can BBB or sue them too. But you definitely wouldn’t use one unless you have some level of trust.

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I disagree.

If you didn’t trust them you wouldn’t shop there.

What you’re talking about though isn’t whether or not you trust them, just “how much” you trust them.

And you trust them enough to shop there. And you trust them more than a private party……… which was my only point.

I’ll use another example:

Mechanics

You can BBB or sue them too. But you definitely wouldn’t use one unless you have some level of trust.
And that's where you are wrong. I've shopped at numerous online sites I don't trust knowing my credit card would cover me if I got scammed but willing to give it a chance just in case the deal was real (some have panned out, some have not). Doing business with a place doesn't mean you trust them more, it just means you're willing to take the risk knowing you have your own backup.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And that's where you are wrong. I've shopped at numerous online sites I don't trust knowing my credit card would cover me if I got scammed but willing to give it a chance just in case the deal was real (some have panned out, some have not). Doing business with a place doesn't mean you trust them more, it just means you're willing to take the risk knowing you have your own backup.
And yet even in your website example, there are some websites you trust more than others and thus are more likely to do business with.

But again, it’s not just about doing business with the dealer, there’s an actual $$ amount involved that shows what that trust is worth.

For you? Who knows? Maybe you trust no one. But for others, they buy from a dealer and even pay because they trust it’s less likely they’ll get screwed.

Oh and not all dealers get the same level of trust (or $$ premium).

People pay more to buy a used Ford at a Ford dealer. Then slightly less buying a Ford at a non-Ford dealer. And then even less when buying from a dirt lot dealer.

It’s the identical used vehicle too.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The dealership I bought my Mach E Premium AWD ER through has been hounding me the past two days to buy my car back. They are promising to buy back for more than it's worth if I order a 22' model. With an additional promise of giving me a deep discount on the new model. They are citing low inventory as the reason for this "deal".

Not sure I believe anything they're saying.

Anyway, I'm waiting on numbers for a 22' GTPE. ?
You should figure in a 6-9 month wait for a '22 if you ordered today. You also have no idea if they actually have an allocation to order one this model year, if not, you might end up getting pushed into '23 MY and won't get your car for a year. I would hold your cards on this one unless you don't mind being without a Mach-E for up to a year.

Bueller

First Name
Bueller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Public Affairs
Country flag
I took delivery of my GT in November and the dealership I bought it from is also hounding me to buy it back for more than I paid for it. Not currently in the cards as I need the car, but for $10k I’d be hard pressed to say no. Maybe even $7,500.

Skepteach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Price it with Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, etc. Dealer will be $5k+ lower. Ordered car might be a 2023.
Interestingly, I'm finding over the past couple of days that mentioning the offer I'm getting from Carvana has spurred two different dealers (one Ford, one Hyundai) to immediately agree to that as a trade value.

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
I did this with mine although I had another vehicle to drive in the interim. I sold my 21 MME Premium AWD ER and ordered a GT the same day. Wait for the GT will be ~6 months. I made approximately $5K on the old one after putting 10K miles and owning it six months. That was after factoring in the tax credit and the loss associated with putting PPF on it. I like the idea of getting a GT since they were not open for orders when I placed my first order and getting a model year newer. I hope to get the tax credit again and it looks like I will which will make it nearly a wash. Carmax had mine sold within a day of putting it up on their website and marked it up $8K over what they paid me.
Sponsored