Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Actually, it is simpler:

Dear West Virginia,

You can keep believing that nothing has changed since the mid 20th century, or you can embrace the opportunities in a changing world. It's a limited time offer; if you wait too long then your economy will revert to great depression standards of living.
Sponsored

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Dear West Virginia,

Thank you for providing a place to live all those years ago. Sorry we had to leave as there were few opportunities even then. We don't miss you.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Somehow, the folks in charge of ignoring things in West Virginia got this silly notion that BEV's always charge on "clean" generated electricity, like hydroelectric or something. If someone were to tell them that the charging stations run off of "clean coal" powered powerplants, they might suddenly embrace DCFC.

No, I'm serious.

Sort of.
You must live on an island in the middle of nowhere to think that ???

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Write all the “Dear West Virginia” letters you want folks - you’re just contributing to the carbon footprint while they ignore you. Remember, they have two senators who see it as their absolute duty to the nation to ensure that no legislation that could, in any conceivable way, ever possibly benefit the environment, passes.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Write all the “Dear West Virginia” letters you want folks - you’re just contributing to the carbon footprint while they ignore you. Remember, they have two senators who see it as their absolute duty to the nation to ensure that no legislation that could, in any conceivable way, ever possibly benefit the environment, passes.
And they are so shortsighted they don't understand that EVs in WV run on coal!

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Actually, it is simpler:

Dear West Virginia,

You can keep believing that nothing has changed since the mid 20th century, or you can embrace the opportunities in a changing world. It's a limited time offer; if you wait too long then your economy will revert to great depression standards of living.
We go down there once a year for their ATV trails. I’m not sure there is any room to “revert” to the Great Depression. I think they’re still there. To an outsider, it looks like the only money they’ve made since 1950 was spent on high school football stadiums. Nice folks, but the infrastructure, housing, and public buildings are all failing apart. Especially when you get back off the main roads.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Electrify America already called me back and said they are passing the suggestion along. Impressed by the quick response. I wish she had said that there are already plans in the works for charging stations along I-77 (or anywhere in the state of WV) but big kudos for the responsiveness.
EA customer service is great.

But yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath on WV. EA recently announced plans to add 4 new states over the next 8 months, but WV wasn't one of them. WY, SD, VT, HI. The lack of WV in that is significant.

"Electrify America NEWSROOM" https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/137

balataspin

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Escape SEL, 2021 Mach - E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
As a teenager my Dad and I would do the Buffalo, NY to Naples, FL cannonball run in a day. Filling up in WV was always an experience. I'll never forget one trip where the 3 people in front of each paid for their ~$3 in gas (total bill) in change. Then there was me buying 2 bottled waters with a $20.

bradjc

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Bolt EV
Country flag
I've never understood why WV wouldn't embrace EVs. It's a new customer base to sell coal to (via electricity generation). ICE vehicles don't need coal.

The best explanation I've heard for why EA is making a charging desert out of WV is that EA is holding a grudge against the state because WVU was instrumental in exposing Dieselgate.

What I find frustrating is that according to the EPA they have to review EA's plan for each of its investment cycles https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/volkswagen-clean-air-act-civil-settlement#investment. So they, presumably, would have the power to not approve a plan if it does not include infrastructure in WV. But, they apparently haven't done that.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The lack of WV in that is significant.
It's a loud and clear message, Tim. Cripes, when you get beat out by a state with a small population (under 1.5 million), and where land comes at a stunningly high premium, your state is doing something quite wrong.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
We go down there once a year for their ATV trails. I’m not sure there is any room to “revert” to the Great Depression. I think they’re still there. To an outsider, it looks like the only money they’ve made since 1950 was spent on high school football stadiums. Nice folks, but the infrastructure, housing, and public buildings are all failing apart. Especially when you get back off the main roads.
Here are some remains of the town I lived in as a child. The open grassy area was all houses at one time, the entire north end of town was removed due to extreme pollution. I was there in 2008 for a visit, the back roads had many mobile homes that were collapsed into rubble heaps.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dear West Virginia.... 1620229763861
Sponsored