Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
The MME backup sound is a whisper compared to the one on my wife's Kia Niro EV. She may as well roll down her window and yell at the top of her lungs, "HEY! EVERYONE! GOOD MORNING, I'M HEADING TO WORK NOW! BYE!!!!"

It is seriously as loud as one you'd hear on a dump truck, and I don't know why it has to be that way.
I would rather have the sound from my neighbour's Mach 1 Coyote Engine piped out my speaker when I'm backing up. Whenever I hear him start up, I go outside just to hear it rumble by.
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The 'free' PACM method that is used by the powerboost F150 hybrid works on the MME. The forscan value change is from 4 to 0 (zero) (If you have auto 911 dial enabled, it may be a 7 value to 2 value change) - there's a YT vid on it "powerboost speaker silence". It's located in the rear back panel of the vehicle. For those who use their vehicle off road exclusively, you can remove / modify the dump truck beeping. The forscan value change tells the IPC that with a waive of the hand "there is no beeper"

1675294175046.png

4 screws to remove the scuff plate...
1675293704376.png

Pop open this rear panel....
1675293747593.png

Just enough to reach a hand in and get this guy....
1675293803987.png

Alternatively, this is also the spot to tap into the speaker if you want a volume knob instead of playing at the speaker itself.
Why would you disable a safety feature? Have you also removed the seatbelts? Airbags? Disabled the anti-lock brakes?

kkmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
It sounds like the PACM is basically an amplifier for the pedestrian speaker. Does anyone know how the PACM determines which sound to play (pedestrian hum vs hum and backup beep)? I'm wondering it there is a wire coming into the PACM that tells it that the car is in reverse, and if that could be disconnected?

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Why would you disable a safety feature? Have you also removed the seatbelts? Airbags? Disabled the anti-lock brakes?
OP specified off-road exclusive vehicles. I can think of reasons why you'd want to disable this in the off-road context.

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE4X Prem, 2020 GRSupra, 2016 Corvette Z51
Country flag
What about BWC?

Backup Warning Chime (BWC) • Driver Beltminder (DB) • Pass BeltMinder (PBM) • Mid Pass Beltminder (MPB)
720-01-01xxxxxx*xxx--0 =BWC disabled • DB disabled • PBM disabled • MPB disabled8 =BWC enabled • DB disabled • PBM disabled • MPB disabled
1 =BWC disabled • DB disabled • PBM disabled • MPB enabled9 =BWC enabled • DB disabled • PBM disabled • MPB enabled
2 =BWC disabled • DB disabled • PBM enabled • MPB disabledA =BWC enabled • DB disabled • PBM enabled • MPB disabled
3 =BWC disabled • DB disabled • PBM enabled • MPB enabledB =BWC enabled • DB disabled • PBM enabled • MPB enabled
4 =BWC disabled • DB enabled • PBM disabled • MPB disabledC =BWC enabled • DB enabled • PBM disabled • MPB disabled
5 =BWC disabled • DB enabled • PBM disabled • MPB enabledD =BWC enabled • DB enabled • PBM disabled • MPB enabled
6 =BWC disabled • DB enabled • PBM enabled • MPB disabledE =BWC enabled • DB enabled • PBM enabled • MPB disabled
7 =BWC disabled • DB enabled • PBM enabled • MPB enabledF =BWC enabled • DB enabled • PBM enabled • MPB enabled

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
OP specified off-road exclusive vehicles. I can think of reasons why you'd want to disable this in the off-road context.
The Mustang Mach E is not an “off road vehicle” and the methodology proposed is a fairly permanent method, not a method for casual or intermittent use. I think the OP was stretching to rationalize.

OP
OP
Hammered

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Companies put backup beepers on vehicles as a means of defense when one of their morons backs over someone. It doesn't increase safety. Reverse cameras are however safety features. Backup beepers don't magically move someone no more than train horns put a magic forcefield in front of it.

Yes, my seatbelt beepers are also disabled. They also off no safety.

The Mustang Mach E is not an “off road vehicle” and the methodology proposed is a fairly permanent method, not a method for casual or intermittent use. I think the OP was stretching to rationalize.
You're misconstruing the definition of off road. I'm not stretching anything, I owe you no rationalization. It's just information, do with it what you will. Backup beeping isn't mandated.

Last edited:

kkmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
What about BWC?

Backup Warning Chime (BWC) • Driver Beltminder (DB) • Pass BeltMinder (PBM) • Mid Pass Beltminder (MPB)
720-01-01xxxxxx*xxx--0 =BWC disabled • DB disabled • PBM disabled • MPB disabled8 =BWC enabled • DB disabled • PBM disabled • MPB disabled
1 =BWC disabled • DB disabled • PBM disabled • MPB enabled9 =BWC enabled • DB disabled • PBM disabled • MPB enabled
2 =BWC disabled • DB disabled • PBM enabled • MPB disabledA =BWC enabled • DB disabled • PBM enabled • MPB disabled
3 =BWC disabled • DB disabled • PBM enabled • MPB enabledB =BWC enabled • DB disabled • PBM enabled • MPB enabled
4 =BWC disabled • DB enabled • PBM disabled • MPB disabledC =BWC enabled • DB enabled • PBM disabled • MPB disabled
5 =BWC disabled • DB enabled • PBM disabled • MPB enabledD =BWC enabled • DB enabled • PBM disabled • MPB enabled
6 =BWC disabled • DB enabled • PBM enabled • MPB disabledE =BWC enabled • DB enabled • PBM enabled • MPB disabled
7 =BWC disabled • DB enabled • PBM enabled • MPB enabledF =BWC enabled • DB enabled • PBM enabled • MPB enabled
Haven't checked Forscan, but my as-built shows it already disabled. Plus that's in the IPC.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Disable reverse / backup dump truck beeping sound using  'free' PACM method / FORScan 1675366232907

OP
OP
Hammered

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Haven't checked Forscan, but my as-built shows it already disabled. Plus that's in the IPC.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Disable reverse / backup dump truck beeping sound using  'free' PACM method / FORScan 1675366232907
I'm pretty sure the BWC as listed is a device for fleet options across all of the vehicles and doesn't have anything to do with the speaker. That's quite unfortunate that ford decided to put the construction beeper noise in the EV/Hybrids as it's not required and it's obnoxious.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I think some of you have never heard a dump truck backup sound before

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Companies put backup beepers on vehicles as a means of defense when one of their morons backs over someone. It doesn't increase safety. Reverse cameras are however safety features. Backup beepers don't magically move someone no more than train horns put a magic forcefield in front of it.

Yes, my seatbelt beepers are also disabled. They also off no safety.

You're misconstruing the definition of off road. I'm not stretching anything, I owe you no rationalization. It's just information, do with it what you will. Backup beeping isn't mandated.
I’ll just place This here and direct you to 5.1.2 for some recreational reading. IANAL and this should not be construed as legal advice or relied upon in any way. I did stay in a Courtyard by Marriott once. 😀

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I don't even have 10 minutes into it FWIW. Torx T25 for the cargo hook screws under the caps and a 5/16" socket for the other 2. That removes the scuff plate. Lift up on the part of the panel that's under the scuff plate, once that's free, pull the panel out breaking free enough of the clips to reach in.
....except, not that many people have FORSCAN or ability/willingness to twiddle the bits first to avoid DTC being recorded. Which I guess wouldn't have any real consequences anyway.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It may be called a "safety feature", but I do not agree that it is effective and is anything other than super annoying. Nobody can prove a backup beeper on a MME is needed or improves safety. Mine is turned down to zero, and I have yet to find a reason to turn it back up.

This is doubly true for the horrible fake noise when the car is in Drive. Whenever I walk through a parking lot, when cars approach me I cannot hear their ICE unless it is a big ass truck. I really only hear their tires on the pavement until they pass me, and then I can hear their engine. But they have already passed by.

Why does my MME need to make more noise than the typical ICE vehicle? Answer: it doesn't. In fact, when mine passes you, you still only hear the tires on the pavement. It is beautiful.
Sponsored