Display protection

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I think the display protector is good. clarity is a bit obscured given the matte finish. I had haze after installation, but it went away overnight. Had to push out some larger water bubbles afterward as well.

Hardest part of the install was the small circle where the on/off button is. Took a couple attempts to center it and eliminate the bubbles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Display protection IMG_1686
Ford Mustang Mach-E Display protection IMG_1682
Ford Mustang Mach-E Display protection IMG_1685
Ford Mustang Mach-E Display protection IMG_1683

bkboygenius

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue MME FE
Occupation
IT Security
Country flag
Does the soapy mix have to include Dawn or will any dish soap work?

Liv

First Name
Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag
Does the soapy mix have to include Dawn or will any dish soap work?
I wondered the same thing because the instructions were specific but it worked fine with a random other brand soap. Just make sure to use 1 drop of soap to 8oz of water.

Liv

First Name
Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag
I think the display protector is good. clarity is a bit obscured given the matte finish. I had haze after installation, but it went away overnight. Had to push out some larger water bubbles afterward as well.

Hardest part of the install was the small circle where the on/off button is. Took a couple attempts to center it and eliminate the bubbles.

omg....I literally did not realize there was a little circle protector for the on off inside the dial!
Dohhh....

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
omg....I literally did not realize there was a little circle protector for the on off inside the dial!
Dohhh....
I wondered about that but I thought that footage of the circle install just landed on the cutting room floor.

It's a bit tricky to install that little circle over the power button too. You can't really get the card into the spot there to squeeze out the water/soap mix. Just go really light on the spray, press down with your finger.

mylittlepony

First Name
Dominick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
I purchased the OCD screen protector and had the shop that did the full ppf and ceramic put it on and I like it! I agree that at first it looked hazy but now I am conditioned to the look.

A3CCA4D0-A3E1-4132-AEEF-13A193E2538D.jpeg

mbia

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 xDrive40i & Mach E FE Carbonized Gray
Country flag
@Liv and Patrick (@Mach-E VLOG), thank you both for the video! You’ve given me confidence. I’ve had my OCD screen protectors for a couple of weeks and lacked the courage to put them on myself until I saw your tips. I’ve just unrolled to let them flatten and will attempt installing very soon... following your advice closely.

As an aside, I asked my auto detailer who applied the ceramic coating and tinted my front windows if he would install it. He graciously said he’d look at it. Later, he called me and said he was not comfortable given it would be his first and feared he’d maybe need a backup protector to ensure he could get it perfect. Hopefully I’ll do a good job from what I learned from you and can show him when I see him next.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
As an aside, I asked my auto detailer who applied the ceramic coating and tinted my front windows if he would install it. He graciously said he’d look at it. Later, he called me and said he was not comfortable given it would be his first and feared he’d maybe need a backup protector to ensure he could get it perfect. Hopefully I’ll do a good job from what I learned from you and can show him when I see him next.
legit props to your dealer for saying "yeah I don't feel comfortable with this" instead of just being like "yeah whatever I'll do it" and screwing it up or something.

Liv

First Name
Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag
@Liv and Patrick (@Mach-E VLOG), thank you both for the video! You’ve given me confidence. I’ve had my OCD screen protectors for a couple of weeks and lacked the courage to put them on myself until I saw your tips. I’ve just unrolled to let them flatten and will attempt installing very soon... following your advice closely.

Yaay I'm so glad it helped with the confidence and I hope it helps with the application too! I was also nervous but it definitely was easier than I was anticipating! I do wish I had used less liquid but I think it turned out great regardless.
Let us know how it goes!!

mbia

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yaay I'm so glad it helped with the confidence and I hope it helps with the application too! I was also nervous but it definitely was easier than I was anticipating! I do wish I had used less liquid but I think it turned out great regardless.
Let us know how it goes!!
@Liv I wanted to give you an update. I finished applying the screen protectors about a half hour ago. Whole process took about 30 minutes. The hardest parts were cleaning the screen, like you said, and putting the little protective circle in the dial... UGH! Lighting was a little challenging, not enough light in the garage and it’s a gloomy, drizzly day outside. Overall, I kept my cool and followed your advice.

I think I fared well with air bubbles and streaks, but time will tell. After I finished applying the center screen I noticed it’s a little bit crooked. My partner didn’t notice it, but I see it. Hopefully it won’t drive me nuts. The instrument cluster was easier to apply than I thought and maybe because I did it after the center screen.

I really like the look and think I’ll be happy with it. Thank you and Patrick again for creating the video... it helped tremendously. After it fully dries/cures I’ll share some photos.

Last edited:

Liv

First Name
Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag
@Liv I wanted to give you an update. I finished applying the screen protectors about a half hour ago. Whole process took about 30 minutes. The hardest parts were cleaning the screen, like you said, and putting the little protective circle in the dial... UGH! Lighting was a little challenging, not enough light in the garage and it’s a gloomy, drizzly day outside. Overall, I kept my cool and followed your advice.

I think I fared well with air bubbles and streaks, but time will tell. After I finished applying the center screen I noticed it’s a little bit crooked. My partner didn’t notice it, but I see it. Hopefully it won’t drive me nuts. The instrument cluster was easier to apply than I thought and maybe because I did it after the center screen.

I really like the look and think I’ll be happy with it. Thank you and Patrick again for creating the video... I helped tremendously. After it fully dries/cures I share some photos.
Yaay SO glad it was helpful!! Hopefully you won't notice the crookedness during regular use. I keep forgetting there's a tiny bubble on ours and normally there's so much info on the screen that it's impossible to see it. Can't wait to see your photos!

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Is the screen glass or plastic? If it is Glass, then it would be unlikely to ever get scratched.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Is the screen glass or plastic? If it is Glass, then it would be unlikely to ever get scratched.
it's Vibranium. that's why it's taking so long for Ford to build and ship the cars.

mbia

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here are some pictures of my install @Liv

Ford Mustang Mach-E Display protection 6BDADCB9-D284-42B5-931B-D0B6513262A5

Ford Mustang Mach-E Display protection D9CEDF27-3DBB-4EA3-A8E7-A76AB49D4D33

You can spot that it’s a little off/crooked, especially visible in lower left corner. But no streaks or air bubbles. I think I can live with it as is because you can see it as noticeably from the driver’s angle.

Driver info screen is positioned much better.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Display protection E94B707E-49D1-4885-AC20-3353F9112A55

Last edited: