Does HVBJB Replacement requires discharging battery?

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My 02021 FE Mach-E is at the dealer having the HVBJB replaced per the recall. Does the dealer need to discharge the battery in order to perform this replacement? The reason I ask is because I‘m seeing the battery level steadily decreasing via the Ford App.
Sponsored

Sherrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE 22' (EAP)
Is the mileage increasing too? During the recall repair my battery % dropped 1%....

OP
OP
MTNestr

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mileage is not increasing.

OP
OP
MTNestr

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also - did anything change after you got your Mach-E back - such as miles per KWh?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Also - did anything change after you got your Mach-E back - such as miles per KWh?
There would be no reason for anything to change after you get it back, it's simply the box that sends voltage to/from the battery.

Your range projection may change depending on what they did / driving, etc., but simply reset it or just keep driving.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
if they are doing the HVBJB now, they would have the HVB completely disconnected from the car to do that. You would not get reliable info from your app while that is happening. Once they put it back together, I would expect the charge level to be very close to what it was when you took it in. That was what I experienced, fordpass would not properly update while the work is being done.

OP
OP
MTNestr

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just checked fordpass and the charge level is at 33% and charging at 6KW. Earlier it was at 25%. It has been on the charger for 1hr 10 minutes. It appears that they are done and returning it to the level it was when I dropped it off 3 days ago.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Mine was there for almost 2 weeks doing the HVJB recall. They charged it to 100% over the first weekend. After that, the lowest I saw was 99%. It was at 100% when I picked it up.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
My 02021 FE Mach-E is at the dealer having the HVBJB replaced per the recall. Does the dealer need to discharge the battery in order to perform this replacement? The reason I ask is because I‘m seeing the battery level steadily decreasing via the Ford App.
No. Service manual does NOT say the battery should be discharged.

YunniorO

First Name
Yunnior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ER (Job 2)
Country flag
if they are doing the HVBJB now, they would have the HVB completely disconnected from the car to do that. You would not get reliable info from your app while that is happening. Once they put it back together, I would expect the charge level to be very close to what it was when you took it in. That was what I experienced, fordpass would not properly update while the work is being done.
yeah I remember when mine was getting replaced and FordPass kept saying the vehicle was in deep sleep mode.

Johnny572

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT performance
Country flag
Jessica E. from FORD.com blamed my dealership for the part not being available anymore. Jessica needs more training. 😂

Jack Roberts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
When they did mine they said they needed an extension cable to connect the battery to the car after they dropped the battery and the didn’t have one and ordered it. It took an extra week to get the cable but it came out great. They updated all the module’s software and it’s been great sense I got it back.

OP
OP
MTNestr

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why did they need an extension cable? Why do they need to connect the battery to the car while it’s removed?

It must have been the dealers first HVBJB replacement.

OP
OP
MTNestr

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Got my Mach-E back last night. I was told that the reason my battery was discharged to 25% is because the HVBJB Replacement Procedures call for the battery to be at 30% or less to do this work. Doesn’t make sense to me but I didn’t argue with the service guy.

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
Mine was replaced via the recall, and I dropped it off around 87% charge, they did the work, drove it, and then charged it up to 100%.

I'm not an engineer but would not think there's a need to drop the battery charge to a certain level to do the work. The procedure is posted here (though it does not have the details on the actual part replacement.)

If they're insisting on it, drain it a bit, and then just do donuts in their parking lot until you get to 30%.
Sponsored