Draconfier

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx-9, Mustang Mach-e GT (on order)
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
What’s the “right” comp for the GT? The long range Model Y is a whole second short of the GT.

If you were to compare the GTPE to the Model Y Performance the Ford would be too expensive. Tax Credit may very well be a gone soon for a car this price.

Not saying a GTPE is a bad comparison, more so that the GT isn’t as bad of a comparison as you think.
The tax break will be there until Ford:
A. Hits 200,000 units sold at the current $7500 Credit.

B. Still receives the $7500 under the Senate plan. Will last until EV sales are 51% of total car sales

C. Still receives the $7500 under the House plan as long as the vehicle doesn't cost more than $69,000. It will also add the $2500 but will limit based off of vehicle classification, Sedan, SUV, etc. And also impose income limits, and has a 10 year limit.

B & C are both good for Tesla. But will be even better for Ford F150 and Chevy who will get $12500 and potentially $13000 if it ends up including the $500 for a battery made in the US, and being Union Made.
Sponsored

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag

B. Still receives the $7500 under the Senate plan. Will last until EV sales are 51% of total car sales

C. Still receives the $7500 under the House plan as long as the vehicle doesn't cost more than $69,000. It will also add the $2500 but will limit based off of vehicle classification, Sedan, SUV, etc. And also impose income limits, and has a 10 year limit.

B & C are both good for Tesla. But will be even better for Ford F150 and Chevy who will get $12500 and potentially $13000 if it ends up including the $500 for a battery made in the US, and being Union Made.
I think you may be underestimating the impact of the $69k and income based phase outs. You can easily max a GTPE to above that price, and if you’re buying a GTPE it’s entirely possible (likely?) you are going to be subject to the credit phase out.

Agree it’s overall favorable to Ford, just don’t think you can use it as a component of a review of the vehicle when the situation is fluid and some of the other comparables may fall on the other side of the cut line.

Draconfier

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think you may be underestimating the impact of the $69k and income based phase outs. You can easily max a GTPE to above that price, and if you’re buying a GTPE it’s entirely possible (likely?) you are going to be subject to the credit phase out.

Agree it’s overall favorable to Ford, just don’t think you can use it as a component of a review of the vehicle when the situation is fluid and some of the other comparables may fall on the other side of the cut line.
Nope
It is entirely possible to get a GTPE under $69k, and why it included that figure. Sure if you add the panoramic roof and the Bluecruise you will go over that amount. But you can get under that figure, still get the maxed speed/torque version with MagneRide.

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FYI my Long Range Y with the acceleration boost is faster in the quarter mile than both the GT and GTPE. I've gotten 12.26-12.30 @113 mph. I haven't seen a GT run faster than 12.5 @ 104-105 mph. Most GTPE are running the same. I think
one GTPE ran 12.2x@105 mph?
Yeah I mean the GT/GTPE 1/4 mile gripes here are long and distinguished. I don’t think we need to elaborate on it.

That said, you do kind of prove Doug’s point. GT strong suit is overall driving dynamics, not necessarily straight line speed. And for many, that’ll be the better trade off than a more impressive 0-60 or 1/4 mile time.

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope
It is entirely possible to get a GTPE under $69k, and why it included that figure. Sure if you add the panoramic roof and the Bluecruise you will go over that amount. But you can get under that figure, still get the maxed speed/torque version with MagneRide.
I said you can easily MAX OUT, not always, get a GTPE over that number. We’re saying the same thing two different ways.

It’s not really maxing out a GTPE if you exclude a bunch of features now is it?

Draconfier

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I said you can easily MAX OUT, not always, get a GTPE over that number. We’re saying the same thing two different ways.

It’s not really maxing out a GTPE if you exclude a bunch of features now is it?
Just as I never said you couldn't, apples to oranges. In my opinion the panoramic roof is detrimental to performance (increase in weight as well as top-end weight) , is a possible nightmare for leaks both now and down the road, will most likely cause increased infrared damage to the interior as has been proven in other posts, and Blue-cruise..why do you want to buy a performance car to have a computer drive it for you.

Draconfier

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Just as an addendum to this as I'm being questioned on this. I've posted a few times on tax implications. for EVs. The current legislation mentioned above on B & C have not been agreed upon by either the House or the Senate separately, let alone combined. The law if and when it goes into effect will have a date of implementation, it will not be retroactive, unless they completely change the current verbiage of both propositions. So the $7500 will stand on The above referenced A. Until Ford sells 200,000 combined EVs, which they haven't even come close to at this point.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Doug Demuro reviews the Mach-E GT (non-PE) Screenshot_20211031-222854_Chrome

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Just as I never said you couldn't, apples to oranges. In my opinion the panoramic roof is detrimental to performance (increase in weight as well as top-end weight) , is a possible nightmare for leaks both now and down the road, will most likely cause increased infrared damage to the interior as has been proven in other posts, and Blue-cruise..why do you want to buy a performance car to have a computer drive it for you.
While I agree on increased weight up high and possible leak arguments, the pano roof has been proven to block IR in the wild, as lots of people who own one has said that there is no appreciable heat difference between glass and metal. I havent seen any posts that indicate increased IR.

Pretty much anyone who has been here a while knows that I purposely did not get Co-Pilot 360/Active 2.0 because it was bundled with the glass roof, so I am not a big fan of the glass roof on the GT or GT-PE.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
While I agree on increased weight up high and possible leak arguments
Have you seen any posts that compares the weight of the car with and without the glass roof? Just curious. I have not. When I get my GT, I will post the weight and see if a GT with pano is heavier per Ford. I agree it should be...

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Have you seen any posts that compares the weight of the car with and without the glass roof? Just curious. I have not. When I get my GT, I will post the weight and see if a GT with pano is heavier per Ford. I agree it should be...
I actually haven’t. It is purely supposition on my part.

I look forward to your comparison.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
While I agree on increased weight up high and possible leak arguments, the pano roof has been proven to block IR in the wild, as lots of people who own one has said that there is no appreciable heat difference between glass and metal. I havent seen any posts that indicate increased IR.

Pretty much anyone who has been here a while knows that I purposely did not get Co-Pilot 360/Active 2.0 because it was bundled with the glass roof, so I am not a big fan of the glass roof on the GT or GT-PE.
Plus less maintenance. No worries about the clear coat failing on the top of the vehicle. It's fairly easy to clean without having to worry if you're going to scratch the paint.

Weight difference is minimal, roughly 25-30 lbs.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Thanks. I wonder if the label attached in the door frame (typically, not sure about the MME) will be more accurate. Will rehash this issue after I get my GT. 25 lbs is not much if that is all it is.
My GT with steel roof shows the same 5,980 lb. GVWR, and a cargo+passengers limit of 962 lbs. on those labels.