Drive mode unavailable, possibly battery temp related?

Chuckler

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue 2021 Ford Mach E GT PE
Country flag
This software bug is going to become a real issue for Ford. I got the "Drive Mode Unavailable" issue in rain and traffic yesterday. Interestingly it immediately changes the one pedal braking regeneration from heavy to light and the car required a manual 2 pedal stop (while still in one pedal mode). It was quite the surprise.
Sponsored

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 - Limited Edition Iced White
Occupation
Technical
Country flag
I always drive in whisper mode. I am happy that way and the MME (dual motor) x-range is quick enough for me and my wife.

This started for me a few weeks ago and happens every now and then. Somewhat concerning but at least it doesn't seem like a dealer run. Here's the thing: Can't go to a lower mode than 'whisper' except...I don't want to think about what mode it can go to (turtle?).

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
When it kicks out to Not available it's actually in Engage. I think it's really not the mode so much as the steering. I think (not a Ford engie here at all) but the electric steering racks I delt with in the past required more power and cooling when 'easier' for the user. So whisper would actually make the rack work harder, and that could possibly get hot enough to kick out. Unhinged I would think would also work harder by adding weight to the steering wheel side of this. Possible that Engage is the 'built to spec' mode. I wouldn't think it's motor related at all as I've had it kick out uphill, downhill or just cruising on the freeway.

I hadn't had it kick out on me for the whole month of 110+ days, until this weekend. Previously it'd do it a couple times a week if not a couple times a day.

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
I got this error for the first time today but also in conjunction with many other faults (no brake assist, pedestrian cross check, no hill assist). It drives but I feel the steering is tighter like there isn't as much power steering. Is this problem different? It just showed up an hour ago. I'm at an appointment so it will sit for an hour. It's warm today, but not different than many other days.

I just got this out of the shop a few weeks ago after being in there for a month for a pump failure. I'm starting to lose faith an patience.

3FMTK3RM8MMA46141

clsmooths

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT performance & Premium ER RWD
Occupation
Assistant manager
Country flag
Does anybody know what those gray bars mean?

Screenshot_20230808_210900_Gallery.jpg

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I got this error for the first time today but also in conjunction with many other faults (no brake assist, pedestrian cross check, no hill assist). It drives but I feel the steering is tighter like there isn't as much power steering. Is this problem different? It just showed up an hour ago. I'm at an appointment so it will sit for an hour. It's warm today, but not different than many other days.

I just got this out of the shop a few weeks ago after being in there for a month for a pump failure. I'm starting to lose faith an patience.

3FMTK3RM8MMA46141
You have some kind of major communication bus issue. Rodents chewing on wires maybe? Bad ground? Modules aren't getting good steering wheel angle sensor data, among other things. Not HVBJB.

PAAK OTA update ready and waiting.

Does anybody know what those gray bars mean?

Screenshot_20230808_210900_Gallery.jpg
Those gray bars represent the power limit, because the battery or components are too hot or cold. The SVS power limit is much more than that.

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
So here's a weird one for everyone. I've noticed on several occasions that the car will randomly drop out of the selected drive mode (I use Unbridle[d] almost exclusively) and prevent selecting a different mode for a variable amount of time. Yesterday I noticed what I thought could be the cause, beyond the usual software gremlins at least. For the first few minutes I couldn't select any mode and the car image was mostly black (usually changes background color based on selected mode). After a few minutes of being stationary, I could reselect Unbridled, but it dropped back out almost immediately. Did this several times over the course of about 10 minutes. What finally stopped it was turning on the A/C. My suspicion is that the battery coolant loop helped lower the pack temps once the A/C was running (it had not come on previously; my A/C compressor is rather noisy and not easily ignored). For those who would ask, I was not driving aggressively (avg consumption was 4.1-4.7mi/kwh, well above my normal average) and the ambient outside temp was about 90F (still well below what it normally is around here this time of year).

Long story short, I wish Ford would add a battery temp gauge so I wouldn't have to guess about this.
You are giving them too much credit, I have this happen in whisper mode and after driving like 10 miles in 80 degrees. Me thinks it's just software gremlins
Sponsored