Drivetrain decisions!

Devmar

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Tiguan R, Mach E (some flavour of, TBC!)
Hi All!

I’m currently at the planning stage for moving to an EV from my Tiguan R (full blooded 0-60 <5sec, not an R-line)

currently the top spots are Model Y and Mach E.

With the Mach E, have any of you compared the ER RWD and AWD models? Coming from my Tiguan I worry that the RWD will feel too sluggish, and unfortunately I can only test drive the AWD (assuming the car doesn’t change between now and when the recall gets fixed) which is a shame because the RWD has all that extra range.

How do you find the day-to-day practicality? The Tiguan is pretty big, but we’ll have a second ICE that should fill it’s shoes for the kids.

Finally, and apologies as I know this one has probably been answered all over… for me this car will be used for local drives and motorways (m6, 1, 42, 40, 4). Is the supercharger network *really* that much of a perk? Especially when doing 400mile round trip without destination charging - when checking my routes on Google today there were plenty of chargers available (well, 1 or 2 at each stop) but pretty much all 50kW.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Hi All!

I’m currently at the planning stage for moving to an EV from my Tiguan R (full blooded 0-60 <5sec, not an R-line)

With the Mach E, have any of you compared the ER RWD and AWD models? Coming from my Tiguan I worry that the RWD will feel too sluggish, and unfortunately I can only test drive the AWD (assuming the car doesn’t change between now and when the recall gets fixed) which is a shame because the RWD has all that extra range.

How do you find the day-to-day practicality? The Tiguan is pretty big, but we’ll have a second ICE that should fill it’s shoes for the kids.

Finally, and apologies as I know this one has probably been answered all over… for me this car will be used for local drives and motorways (m6, 1, 42, 40, 4). Is the supercharger network *really* that much of a perk? Especially when doing 400mile round trip without destination charging - when checking my routes on Google today there were plenty of chargers available (well, 1 or 2 at each stop) but pretty much all 50kW.

Thanks!
The 0-60 times are on the Ford site - ER RWD is ~6 second car. ER AWD is ~5 second car. None of them seem sluggish in my estimation. In traffic situations, the ~6 second EV is likely going to seem quicker than your ~5 second Tiquan because when you spike the pedal, there is zero delay in any EV. In the Tiguan, it downshifts which will seem sluggish by comparison. You will really notice this when you go back to an ICE car after driving an EV for a while.

We also have an Audi Q5... similar practicality to the MME. both are 4 seat cars with some cargo room.

Charging may be more of an issue. 50KW chargers are kinda slow especially compared to 150KW is much more practical for road tripping...

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
Mach E isn’t sluggish at all. I wouldn’t buy the MY just because of the supercharger network … imo it does not save journey time by all that much.

do test drive both cars, goes without saying.

OP
OP

Devmar

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the replies. I’ll be test driving a Mach E and a model Y for sure, my biggest worry is I won’t be able to test a RWD Mach E (preferably ER).

I appreciate there’s only so much that can be done via written message, on a purely opinion based area; to be honest even hearing the lack of any mustang being sluggish is good - my main goal is “nippy” and fun between 20-50mph really.

On the charging front; less worried about speed to be honest. What’s 45minutes to top up enough to when timed with a meal/absurdly hot coffee? Bigger worry was general availability and reliability, although I’d like to think with each Quarter it’ll get better and better.
Appreciate your time here!

Going to look at a mustang in a week or so with suitcases and golf clubs in tow to confirm practicality even if it’s not ready to drive yet!

Based off what Ford told me, looking at December for being able to pick from what’s just landed in Antwerp and hasn’t been taken.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Mach E isn’t sluggish at all. I wouldn’t buy the MY just because of the supercharger network … imo it does not save journey time by all that much.

do test drive both cars, goes without saying.
Especially if you have to wait for a charger

grovep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME extended range
Country flag

Thanks!
I have found the Ionity, Osprey and Instavolt chargers to be the best. Banbury has a good number of 100KW plus chargers - Instavolt & Osprey - not sure if that works for you.

OP
OP

Devmar

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have found the Ionity, Osprey and Instavolt chargers to be the best. Banbury has a good number of 100KW plus chargers - Instavolt & Osprey - not sure if that works for you.
Banbury is arguably the best location for most of my long drives. Not sure how I missed it when researching. The Instavolt has 16 decent powered chargers in a good location for our lifestyle… game changer!

Right next to a Miller & Carter (love it), rather ironic given the green nature, and the faux dead cow in the Mustang! Tank of petrol, or a tank of electricity + steaks for the same price? No brainer!

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Get the AWD if you're on the fence about power. The range difference between the RWD and AWD is minimal especially on the highway. Source: I have an RWD and I semi-regret prioritizing range over power.

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
I test drove only AWD models (GT and Premium) because that's all that were available, even after ordering the RWD CA-R1. I've had a series of ICE mustangs including an '88 notchback 5 Liter, a 2005 4.6 Liter GT, and a 2014 V6, all stick shift cars, and obviously all RWD.

Just in terms of nostalgic fun, I love, love, love the RWD CA-R1 and I'm glad I went that way. I even like the high-profile tires. Very comfy on the freeway, and just enough almost-oversteer to make me grin from ear to ear every time I punch it just a bit on that one roundabout on my daily commute.

I agree with @Blue highway that from a rolling start, say when passing a slower vehicle, an EV is going to feel stupid quick owing to the lack of kick-down hesitation.

Honestly, I find the RWD with squishy tires combo to be a whole lot of fun, and even with the squishy tires way more sure-footed than any of my ICE Mustangs were.

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
honestly, of all things to be concerned about the Mach E, whichever variant, nippiness isn't one of them!

i think the MY is a shade faster but then it comes down to personal preferences.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Hi All!

Thanks!
I have a RWD ER and I have come from an AWD KUGA ST Line X. My MME IS NOT sluggish at all. Compared to my Kuga, I have the confidence to overtake in situations I wouldn't have dreamed off in the KUGA. The only worry you will have is how long it will take you to get 12 points on your licence 🤣 🤣 🤣

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag
I got 3 points in the first 3 months :(

OP
OP

Devmar

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To be honest it sounds like you can’t really go wrong with either! I’ll perhaps let it boil down to what is available then, unless of course driving the AWD makes me giggle like a child!
Thanks for all your help! Here’s hoping the recall is fixed ASAP! First set of Tesla test drives come soon, want the Mustang to come sooner!
Sponsored