Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE, '22 Porsche 911 C4S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've owned my GTPE for about six month and am loving it. I traded in a Porsche Macan for it, and my other car is a 2022 Porsche 911 C4S, so I'm pretty picky when it comes to cars. The MME is a worthy replacement for the Macan. It's comfortable, handles well, and is ridiculously fast. It's an amazing car. When I was thinking about purchasing my first EV, I didn't consider any other cars, including Teslas. Having owned several Ford products over the years, I was confident the MME would be a quality machine. I read reviews on the car, was able to test drive a base model, really liked both the exterior and interior appearance, and was happy with the range and performance specs.

Well, over the weekend, I rented a Model Y, so I finally had a chance to drive a Tesla. Of course, I'm biased, but the MME is leaps and bounds better than the Y. The Y rattled, had a pretty low quality interior, and rode poorly. The steering and throttle controls felt like they were operating in a vat of molasses. There just seemed to be a disconnect between the car and the road. The seats and driving position weren't great, and the lack of physical controls for things like the mirrors, wipers and steering wheel was a problem for me. I can't tell you how happy I was to jump back into my MME today.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I've owned my GTPE for about six month and am loving it. I traded in a Porsche Macan for it, and my other car is a 2022 Porsche 911 C4S, so I'm pretty picky when it comes to cars. The MME is a worthy replacement for the Macan. It's comfortable, handles well, and is ridiculously fast. It's an amazing car. When I was thinking about purchasing my first EV, I didn't consider any other cars, including Teslas. Having owned several Ford products over the years, I was confident the MME would be a quality machine. I read reviews on the car, was able to test drive a base model, really liked both the exterior and interior appearance, and was happy with the range and performance specs.

Well, over the weekend, I rented a Model Y, so I finally had a chance to drive a Tesla. Of course, I'm biased, but the MME is leaps and bounds better than the Y. The Y rattled, had a pretty low quality interior, and rode poorly. The steering and throttle controls felt like they were operating in a vat of molasses. There just seemed to be a disconnect between the car and the road. The seats and driving position weren't great, and the lack of physical controls for things like the mirrors, wipers and steering wheel was a problem for me. I can't tell you how happy I was to jump back into my MME today.
We test drove a MYP before getting our MME and it felt really soulless. Sure, the tech is really nice, but it wasnā€™t as fun. Like some reviewers have said, Teslas are driving appliances while the MME is a fun EV that isnā€™t just a computer on wheels.

OP
OP
tgcrun

tgcrun

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We test drove a MYP before getting our MME and it felt really soulless. Sure, the tech is really nice, but it wasnā€™t as fun. Like some reviewers have said, Teslas are driving appliances while the MME is a fun EV that isnā€™t just a computer on wheels.
So true. I didn't even like the tech. Having some analog controls is nice. I actually like the big round volume control in my MME. About the only thing I really liked was one of the music stations on the Tesla streaming app. It was called '60s music, but it wasn't your typical 60s pop stations. They played a lot of album oriented stuff from the 60s and 70s like Vanilla Fudge, Iron Butterfly, Donovan, and early Zeppelin. :)

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
A lot of the reviews in magazines and sites list similar differences, enough so we didn't bother test driving the Y and I don't regret it as the MME is already one of my favorite vehicles.

But in your case regarding the performance it may not have been a fair comparison. I'm guessing you rented the normal Y, not a performance edition of the Y that I maybe I'm errantly assuming Tesla makes?

One of these days I need to test drive a GTPE to see how much more power it has than my premium awd. Likely I'll want that power after I drive, but the normal MME is still pretty nice.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag

Wouldnā€™t it be great to try a Lumin Air? 1000 hp would be amazing.

SignMD

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GTPE, 2023 BMW iX
Country flag

I ordered my Mach-e GTPE as a replacement to my wife's 2019 Porsche macan which is coming off lease in a few months. My initial plan was for me to take the Mach-e and give her my 2021 Audi e-tron but she said it felt too big. So she reluctantly drove the Mach-e tand for some strange reason the Porsche macan hasn't been driven since...hmm!

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
So true. I didn't even like the tech. Having some analog controls is nice. I actually like the big round volume control in my MME. About the only thing I really liked was one of the music stations on the Tesla streaming app. It was called '60s music, but it wasn't your typical 60s pop stations. They played a lot of album oriented stuff from the 60s and 70s like Vanilla Fudge, Iron Butterfly, Donovan, and early Zeppelin. :)
The music is just an app called TuneIn. I'm pretty sure.

OP
OP
tgcrun

tgcrun

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I ordered my Mach-e GTPE as a replacement to my wife's 2019 Porsche macan which is coming off lease in a few months. My initial plan was for me to take the Mach-e and give her my 2021 Audi e-tron but she said it felt too big. So she reluctantly drove the Mach-e tand for some strange reason the Porsche macan hasn't been driven since...hmm!
My last Macan was the second one I've owned. It's a fantastic car. I'll take a serious look at the Macan EV when it arrives next year.

OP
OP
tgcrun

tgcrun

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The music is just an app called TuneIn. I'm pretty sure.
I rented the car from the owner via Turo, so the owner had those stations already loaded. I only rented it for a couple of days, so I didn't feel like fiddling with the music choices. I use Tunein a lot on my home streamer, so I'll take a look to see if that's available.

hbund216

First Name
Arv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Accord, and Mach-e
Country flag
We test drove the long range Tesla Y and the poor ride was one of the reasons we chose the Select over it. I also noticed a shudder/vibration in the body while on the freeway. But I do prefer the front visibility of the Y.

OP
OP
tgcrun

tgcrun

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A lot of the reviews in magazines and sites list similar differences, enough so we didn't bother test driving the Y and I don't regret it as the MME is already one of my favorite vehicles.

But in your case regarding the performance it may not have been a fair comparison. I'm guessing you rented the normal Y, not a performance edition of the Y that I maybe I'm errantly assuming Tesla makes?

One of these days I need to test drive a GTPE to see how much more power it has than my premium awd. Likely I'll want that power after I drive, but the normal MME is still pretty nice.
I think it was a normal Y, but in terms of general driving pleasure, I don't think it would have made a difference if it was a higher performance model. I don't tend to use all the power that my GTPE has to offer, but I like having it when I need it and I love the handling characteristics of the suspension. I also went with the PE because I like the black "grill" on my Space White car along with the wheel design. I'm sure I'd be more than happy with a Premium AWD car. The MME is just a great car, now matter the iteration.

Today was my first full day of driving the MME after returning from out trip, and a couple of other things hit me after spending a few hours in my car. First, the interior of the MME is a zillion (slight exaggeration) times better than the cheap Telsa interior. Second (and this is definitely not a scientific study), the Tesla seems to use electric power at a much faster rate.

OP
OP
tgcrun

tgcrun

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We test drove the long range Tesla Y and the poor ride was one of the reasons we chose the Select over it. I also noticed a shudder/vibration in the body while on the freeway. But I do prefer the front visibility of the Y.
That's funny, because I hated the big windshield in the Y. I couldn't see the front of the car, and the windshield wipers had a hard time clearing it. The rear window didn't have a wiper, and in a moderate rainstorm I couldn't see out of it very well.

Last edited:

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
My wife and I test drove the Ioniq 5 and MYP Looking for her a replacement for her 2018 Macan. We both decided the MYP was vastly better than we expected, it was quite nice and weā€™re not sure which of us gets which as a primary car.. lol.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Second (and this is definitely not a scientific study), the Tesla seems to use electric power at a much faster rate.
Mach-E is most definitely a better car but itā€™s not an efficient EV. Itā€™s probably on the bottom 3rd of all EVs and something I hope Ford improves in future models.

Iā€™ve had Model Y and Model 3 RWD (traded for Telluride) and the one thing the Teslas are - efficent. I got 4.2 mi/kWh on the 3 going nearly 80mph. On the Y it was closer to 3.6 mi/kWh. My last Mach-E (RWD) would barely get 3.2 mi/kWh at the same speeds and was actually closer to 3.0 mi/KWh and since it was a Standard Range, I knew the battery was too small for

King of efficiency is Lucid currently.

In terms of on track performanceā€¦ folks rave about the Polestar 2 or Model 3 Performance.
Sponsored