Electrify America Free Charging This Weekend [July 4th weekend, 2021]

Brian707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mustang Mach E Premium AWD EXT
Country flag
Just got my car Wednesday, I haven't DC fast charged yet. My car will probably still have like 60% SOC when I try it out tomorrow, but this is a perfect time to try it out. I don't know why anyone would complain about something free. It will cost EA a lot of money, but don't forget a company like Amazon didn't turn a profit for like the first 15 years.
Sponsored

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
Even with the charging curve, per minute billing typically ends up being cheaper than per kWh as long as you don’t charge past 80%.
That's good to know. I pulled in at 32% and it immediately went to 126 kWh and stayed there for a bit. Eventually leveled to 100 and hit 80 %at 98 kWh.

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I got 21 kWh free from EA today. Just had to plug in and touch the screen a few times and was getting charged at 130 KW. There were four 150 KW stations where I charged. Nobody else there before, during, or after I got my freebie.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I took the aero covers off my Route 1 this morning and promptly went for a test run on the turnpike. I intended to keep a steady 72 with A/C on to get a sense for the efficiency without the covers. For the curious, the car reported 3.1 mi/kwh.

Nonetheless at the end of the outbound trip I hit up EA with no issues. I arrived with 50% battery, and it briefly cranked up to 153 kw, and then dropped down to 130 or so. I only watched it for a minute before going inside to take care of a little business. When I returned to the car it was at 72% after 12 minutes and charging at 90kw. It hit 80% in 6 more minutes, which seemed really reasonable (50% to 80% in 18 minutes). Of 10 chargers only 1 other was in use by an etron.

Unfortunately the return trip was less successful. I stopped at the nearby EA, and 1 of the 3 chargers was powered off, and the second wouldn't initiate a charge. The third was in use, so I had to wait a bit. When I was able to plug in the cable was still pretty warm, and it ended up only charging at 45kw.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Well, we made our little outing with the wife driving and getting familiar with the car. Stopped to charge and no one else there. 1 machine was down so we plugged into the only other 350kwh machine. I don't remember exactly but I think it only provided somewhere around 115kwh and that slowed down pretty quick to 50something. Pretty slow but it served its purpose and showed her how to operate the machine.

Flyinillini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 Fusion
Country flag
Just drove all the way from Denver/Colorado Springs back to home in Illinois. A mix of I70 and I80 driving. Every charging stop was free. Just plugged in and it started up. I have plug and charge off since I was using the EA Pass. Some machines would show a “charge” but I was never charged. Between the free 250k from Ford I used on the way out and the free charging this weekend I made a round trip and driving in between for about 20 dollars. Love telling people that as they fill up with the highest 4th of July gas prices in 7 years. ?

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
Oh! That's what happened! Today's the first time (other than experimenting before a road trip) that I tried charging locally, kind of on a lark, as the two-month old was hungry and we were near the EA. Because I have charge and plug disabled, I was trying to figure out again how to activate from the app manually, and the car started charging before I could!

Wigton761

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select
Country flag
I was just charged via Ford for charging at EA with plug and charge on. Turned off plug and charge mid way through session. Unplugged and replugged in and no longer billed.
Sponsored