mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
American here. What are the European "adaptive led mustang signature headlights"? Are these matrix headlights?

Are there any videos showing this in action?

The Ford UK site says that it's not on the base "Mach E" but it is on the "AWD" version (roughly analogous to the US "premium" feature-wise).

Ford Mustang Mach-E European adaptive headlights? 1626663153280

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
mattbostonmache

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
Is it just this? (headlights that turn or aim around a corner?) That's offered on several cars in the US.

Or is it full matrix headlights? (where the pixels aimed at other cars are blocked out)

Ørjan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iconic silver Mach-e
Country flag
The "adaptive led mustang signature headlights" on the AWD are full matrix; where the pixels aimed at other cars are blocked out.

I haven't found any videos of this.

I thought you had the same lights on the US? Maybe it's just a question of coding?

Mercury8

First Name
Calum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR AWD
Country flag
This video is on the Ford UK website and is what I have on my AWD:

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag

The video seems to describe two somewhat different features - Auto High Beam and Glare-Free High Beam. Which of the two do you have?

The US specs indicate that Auto High Beam is standard.

Mercury8

First Name
Calum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR AWD
Country flag
The video seems to describe two somewhat different features - Auto High Beam and Glare-Free High Beam. Which of the two do you have?

The US specs indicate that Auto High Beam is standard.
I have both. Glare free can only be activated when Auto High beam is selected.
Ford Mustang Mach-E European adaptive headlights? 144AE81F-B9AA-4F1B-AD56-EF69569760A5

OP
OP
mattbostonmache

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag

Very interesting @Mercury8! Yeah, we definitely don't get "glare free headlights". Our government thinks it's unsafe for us to get new safer headlights. (Despite IIHS and the Consumer Reports recently highlighting the importance of good headlights as being a critical safety feature and starting to take it into account for vehicle safety ratings.)

I wonder if your glare-free headlights are still using the shutter-based system from the 2017 video or if they've moved onto pixel-based matrix headlights like Audi.

Can you take a photo of your headlights? Can you see the mechanism (pixel cells or shutters)?

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
The european "adaptive" headlights on the Mach-E is NOT the Ford Dynamic LED lights at all! The old Ford Dynamic LED is not matrix based, just one projector with two light sources inside working almost exactly like Xenon headlamps, just with LEDs. It would move left, right, up down, and create different beam patterns based on speed and road signs. It could do glare free high beam, but with serious limitations since it has to block off the middle of the high beam and then move the lamps in its whole left and right to change size. The Mach-E has none of that!

For the Mach-E the lamps is static, it only moves up and down for the automatic leveling, but on the low beam there is tiny projector in addition to the reflector lights that turns on when driving above town speed. I cannot see any movement at all in that, it is on or off. It adds an additonal range to the light. There are no additional cornering lights, just a very wide beam below the additional range beam created by the small projector.

The high beam is a static matrix LED, not any mechanical movement at all. It will cut off stripes in the matrix where there are other cars. It only cuts off vertical stripes, no pixels, and no movement. It works pretty well, but has some low resolution in the middle. It is not even close to the performance of the Dynamic LED lights in corners when glare free mode is not active, but with glare free mode active it will really make a difference since it can cut of the beam at all the way from the edge without having to switch one of the lamps to low beam. The Dynamic LED lights could not switch of the edges, just the middle, it had to turn the whole lamp into low beam to blind the edge.

The low beam on the Mach-E is "pretty bad". The only up-side it has is the wide beam, which replaces any cornering lights. The brightness is very low, and the high beams light up as daylight compared to it (which is good). This probably is a result of lumen restrictions on headlights in europe without headlamp washers (for a very good reason), but this restriction does not apply to high beam.

I can try to make a video of it, I tried to search all over to find some while waiting for the car, and there was none..

jar_311

First Name
Joseph Reardon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH E GT
Occupation
AEROSPACE / FINANCE
Country flag
144AE81F-B9AA-4F1B-AD56-EF69569760A5.png
Ford Mustang Mach-E European adaptive headlights? 144AE81F-B9AA-4F1B-AD56-EF69569760A5
Can you please post the entire page 95.. I'm trying to determine if the stalk if different from US which would explain the different SCCM coding apart from the Cruse/LM button.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag