gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
We own a 2018 Expedition Platinum, and having purchased Ford ESP after the factory warranty runs out has somewhat paid for itself. Right now, the vehicle is in the shop at 86,000 miles with a big transmission issue. When I look back at the repairs done post factory warranty, the cost of the Ford ESP has been somewhat advantageous.

I wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are on Ford ESP for the Mach-E after the initial 3-yr/36k mile warranty runs out (we're close to it). I know the battery and powertrain are covered for 5-yrs/60k miles, which leaves me wondering, what major components could potentially break that are outside of the powertrain/battery?

Looking at Ford ESP pricing, the Premium Care, which practically covers everything bumper-to bumper would cost around $1139 to extend the warranty for another 2-yrs/24k miles.

Would love to hear from people who have owned the Mach-E into the 60k mile range, and what - if any - repairs they've had to endure.

Thanks much, guys.
Sponsored

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
@gordonf238 This is a debate that has been going on since the forum started and the collective "we" got our cars. The options are typically polar opposites of "hell no" and "of course". I would suggest to do some searches on the forum for these various threads on this topic.

Bottom line is it your choice. It is like insurance, if you don't have an issues, then you do not need the warranty. If you do have issues, it is worth the cost.

With all the electronics, batteries, etc., I opted to buy it from a online Ford dealer. The threads will talk more about that and who sells it on line at a good price. From there you have to choose what coverage, how long, etc. You also have the option to go with a 3rd party. If you do, read the contracts of what is and is not covered, what you need to do to keep the coverage and most importantly, who you can or must take the car to for service. There are also add on such as rental coverage.

Good luck on your research.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I got mine figuring one or more cameras, screens, buttons/knobs will crap out. within another 5 years of 65k. Zero deduct.
Now, those stupid panels on the outside of the car for the door button that cracks? (I've had 6 replaced so far) they really waffle on wanting to replace even under ESP. But fact of the matter is if my door button craps out it's about an hour or more work to get to that panel to replace. I'm not gonna do it myself anymore. 2 of my freshly replaced buttons lasted about 8 months before the new panels cracked.

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
I got mine figuring one or more cameras, screens, buttons/knobs will crap out. within another 5 years of 65k. Zero deduct.
Now, those stupid panels on the outside of the car for the door button that cracks? (I've had 6 replaced so far) they really waffle on wanting to replace even under ESP. But fact of the matter is if my door button craps out it's about an hour or more work to get to that panel to replace. I'm not gonna do it myself anymore. 2 of my freshly replaced buttons lasted about 8 months before the new panels cracked.
This seems a bit like user error. I've been checking for this issue on mine but no doors have it. You don't need to push the buttons that hard, just a gentle push to trigger the motors. I know many people report this problem, so obviously it is an design flaw, but you can prevent it it seems. Is perhaps water getting into your button are and freezing?

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
They crack from pressure. Mostly when I punch it after the 3rd time it doesn't work.
But they crack without punching too. It's pretty much anyone that goes to get into the car ends up hitting the button too hard or mossing and hitting the panels.
That said there's a whole bunch of 23's on the lot near me that are already cracking.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The two mach es I've owned I've gotten the ford extended warranty. The items that were likely to fail, ie some of the electronics like the sync 4 screen would be very pricey.

I think more importantly, you HAVE to negotiate the price of the plan and coverages. When I went into to do the final paperwork they were talking obscene price for the warranty (like $3k or something) I whipped out my quote from FLood ford who have an online tool for calculating the cost and sell some of the lowest price ford extended warranties, and I walked out with a five year extension on the three year warranty with $100 deductible f $1300. Keep in mind , things like the main battery are covered under original warranty for 8yrs/100k.

Here's a link to flood ford site. https://www.floodfordesp.com/coverage.php

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
They crack from pressure. Mostly when I punch it after the 3rd time it doesn't work.
But they crack without punching too. It's pretty much anyone that goes to get into the car ends up hitting the button too hard or mossing and hitting the panels.
That said there's a whole bunch of 23's on the lot near me that are already cracking.
interesting, didn't experience this cracking on my 21 for 2.5 years. I have looked at the button, it does have what appears to be a very fine wire, or perhaps a mold seam that you can see, I wonder if they're fracturing there? All the door buttons have it in same exact spot on my 21 and also on my 23

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Yeah, that seam cracks at some point. There's some others with like an upside down 7 on the panel (not sure if that was a only a short time)
Some of mine also cracked off the sides of the door button.
/hijack over
I got it for all the advanced drivers systems that are in infancy.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
The value proposition of the ESP doesn't make much sense as its pricing is the same as ICE while the vehicle's battery/powertrain warranty last significantly longer than of their ICE counterparts. You must also pay additional for LED lighting coverage which is poor plan construction on ford's part.

It's easy to price the plans at https://grangerfordextendedwarranty.com/
They're the lowest priced and most transparent place to purchase a ford ESP.
Sponsored