Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
1. I’ve hit 170 kW in the initial burst charging my Mach E.
2. We’re not excited about the speed of the Tesla stations, it’s the increase in charging locations and reliability.
I second both of these sentiments. But that point 2 is extremely important for the areas of East Texas and Louisiana where I typically drive on business and personal trips. There are simply vast areas with zero CCS fast chargers. In particular, access to the Tesla SC or Rivian Adventure Network charger in Centerville, TX would be very helpful.
Sponsored

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So I guess the takeaway is that people would rather Ford not say anything at all until it's all working and the adapter shows up on shelves? 🤷‍♂️😔
Probably. Gets a little old that this or that is coming "soon" . How long have we heard tesla sc opening to Fird very soon. Date announced was Feb. That was 6 months ago. Since then, we will have adapter "soon" .

hartmms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500, Mach-e GT-PE
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
2. We’re not excited about the speed of the Tesla stations, it’s the increase in charging locations and reliability.
Here in the southwest, there are way more Tesla stations than CCS. You have to carefully plan out your trips here ahead of time to ensure you are ok. Being able to use Tesla super chargers gets us almost back to the "just get in and drive. When the "tank" gets low, just pull off next charging station exit" method of road tripping.

On our recent Tucson trip, my MME notified me that my charge level was low enough that I had better drive directly to a charging station. This was when I still had 75 miles of range, but it saw that the closest station was 50 miles away. I wasn't even using the native navigation, I was using Google Maps on my phone. I was really glad to see the car was looking out for me.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Probably. Gets a little old that this or that is coming "soon" . How long have we heard tesla sc opening to Fird very soon. Date announced was Feb. That was 6 months ago. Since then, we will have adapter "soon" .
The date announced by Ford was Spring 2024. That's never changed.

A Tesla employee mentioned February in comments to a city council somewhere, but that addressing Tesla's part of it, not Ford's.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
How long have we heard tesla sc opening to Fird very soon. Date announced was Feb. That was 6 months ago.
NO. When Ford announced the deal, it was announced that the TARGET DATE was spring 2024. That target was announced just after the agreement was inked, probably before any detailed analysis was completed. There are a lot of parts involved on the backend, at the chargers, in the cars and even the fordpass app. All of that has to work together seamlessly over a wide communications network. Incidentally, it's not spring 2024 yet - nor has anyone from Ford said anything about February.

The date announced by Ford was Spring 2024. That's never changed.

A Tesla employee mentioned February in comments to a city council somewhere, but that addressing Tesla's part of it, not Ford's.
^Exactly this. It's been pointed out several times (and ignored just as often) that the individual who said February was a Tesla employee.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here in the southwest, there are way more Tesla stations than CCS. You have to carefully plan out your trips here ahead of time to ensure you are ok. Being able to use Tesla super chargers gets us almost back to the "just get in and drive. When the "tank" gets low, just pull off next charging station exit" method of road tripping.

On our recent Tucson trip, my MME notified me that my charge level was low enough that I had better drive directly to a charging station. This was when I still had 75 miles of range, but it saw that the closest station was 50 miles away. I wasn't even using the native navigation, I was using Google Maps on my phone. I was really glad to see the car was looking out for me.
Just be careful to check and make sure they're not V2 SCs, that won't work for us. They show "up to 150 kW" on the Tesla map. We need "up to 250 kW" (V3 or V4).

Wilcox and Demming, for instance, are only V2s. Also Wickenburg, Cordes Lakes, and others. Many rural routes have V2s where we could really use a backup option to EA, but are only worthless (to us) V2s.

https://www.tesla.com/findus

hartmms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500, Mach-e GT-PE
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Just be careful to check and make sure they're not V2 SCs, that won't work for us. They show "up to 150 kW" on the Tesla map. We need "up to 250 kW" (V3 or V4).

Wilcox and Demming, for instance, are only V2s. Also Wickenburg, Cordes Lakes, and others. Many rural routes have V2s where we could really use a backup option to EA, but are only worthless (to us) V2s.

https://www.tesla.com/findus
Good point. Hopefully the MME feature that gives us a warning about needing to drive to a charger because you are about to be out of range to get to one will do this v2 SC filtering for us.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Good point. Hopefully the MME feature that gives us a warning about needing to drive to a charger because you are about to be out of range to get to one will do this v2 SC filtering for us.
I would assume so. If just getting in the car and going without pre-planning (just using the Ford nav), I expect it will exclude the V2s. Lots of people will do it that way.

Personally, that's not good enough for me. I plan my routes ahead of time so I know what I'm getting myself into first, before even deciding whether to go. Just knowing there's SCs along I-10/I-40/I-70/etc doesn't make me feel any better until I find out if they're usable SCs for me. And I don't wanna wait until I'm well underway to find out.

Granted, most interstates are covered pretty well by EA too. SC access (even if just 2/3rds of their stations qualify) will be a nice bonus for additional options.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I would assume so. If just getting in the car and going without pre-planning (just using the Ford nav), I expect it will exclude the V2s. Lots of people will do it that way.

Personally, that's not good enough for me. I plan my routes ahead of time so I know what I'm getting myself into first, before even deciding whether to go. Just knowing there's SCs along I-10/I-40/I-70/etc doesn't make me feel any better until I find out if they're usable SCs for me. And I don't wanna wait until I'm well underway to find out.

Granted, most interstates are covered pretty well by EA too. SC access (even if just 2/3rds of their stations qualify) will be a nice bonus for additional options.
If Ford is doing this right, we would hope that the compatible SuperCharger stations are in the Ford Nav and incompatible ones aren't.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
I wonder how soon all of the DCFC stations at Ford model e dealers will be changed over to NACS.

Oh, wait.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My membership name is "the Old Dog"
Please! Someone tell me where my thinking on using Tesla superchargers is going wrong: my recent trip down I-95 & then switching to finish the trip on I-75, from Morristown NJ to Venice FLA (1200 total miles) has given me a lot of knowledge about fast charging. The Ford pass app plus the On-board Ford navigation system in my 2023 Mach-e GT 4WD extended range was wonderful !! I drove 10 hours to Florence SC Marriott on a Saturday. After spending the night, I drove the remaining 10hours to Venice FLA on Sunday. The navigation system sent me to Electrify-America Fast charging stations exactly when I needed to get charged. It never took longer than 45 to 50min to get to 80% each stop. All stations were working perfectly & always were available. I never had to wait. Most all were in Walmart SuperCenter parking lots. None were more than 1-2 miles from each of the I-95/ I-75 exits. At each stop, when I first plugged in (plug&charge worked perfectly) the speed was about 145Kwhs. (Never faster even at 350Kwh chargers). In the lower right corner of the display, is a readout saying speed requested by your vehicle: 145Kwhs. Then after 35-50min, as charging progressed, the speed-of-charge slowly dropped to 35-40 Kwh at 80%. With the readout saying vehicle is requesting a similar number: 35Kwh !!
So my question is: why is everybody getting excited about the Tesla charging when the Ford Mach-E never requests any speed faster than 145Kwhs even when 350Kwh station is available??
You got lucky. Many times at an EA location, one of four will be broken, and another will be derated.

Charging 1/2 dozen times is great, but come back when you have 30 or 40 charges and lots of EA experience. When you find an entire location derated. Or full of Uber drivers. Or full of local drivers that get years of free EA charging. Or a Chevy Bolt driver charging at 44kW, on the 350, to 100%.

Many EA locations have 4 spots. Most Tesla SuperChargers that I have seen have 10, 12. Some have 20. Some have well over 100. Biggest EA location I have seen in over 2.5 years was 10, and it was the only one. And EA rarely charges idle fees. No penalty for shopping for an hour.

FYI, 50 minutes is too long to go from 20 to 80%.

Imagine what you would have done on your trip if one of your EA stops was dead, and then next one was 100 miles away, and you had 20% charge. Soon, you might be able to head to a nearby SuperCharger.

EINDTPHX

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE 23 Black
Occupation
Overlooking the town
Country flag
I've tested the Tesla adapter a few times with 0 issues. Ford is a copy of that. If there's issues, maybe a defect of yours & not all adapters in general.

NO I DON'T WORK FOR FORD. THERE IS NOTHING ELSE I can provide for answers to any questions RE Ford adapters.

Keep Waiting for yours! Won't be long. How long, no idea!?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I wonder how soon all of the DCFC stations at Ford model e dealers will be changed over to NACS.

Oh, wait.
No real need as our CCS1 cars have the adaptor. 10 years fr
I've tested the Tesla adapter a few times with 0 issues. Ford is a copy of that. If there's issues, maybe a defect of yours & not all adapters in general.

NO I DON'T WORK FOR FORD. THERE IS NOTHING ELSE I can provide for answers to any questions RE Ford adapters.

Mid March is ETA.

OcSteve39

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Performance
Country flag

Soon
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.