Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
We're in the midst of our first winter with our EVs. Has anyone come upon a charging station that hadn't been plowed, poorly plowed, ignored?

Some of the chargers I've been to (admittedly only about 10 different locations) would be almost impossible to clear because of the way they were situated. Most are dead-ended into a wall or fence. Others are ripe to collect mounds against the charger box itself because the bollards will collect snow and ice.

If I traveled a lot in snow country, I'd bring a shovel.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
It shouldn’t be much of an issue. I’ve cleared snow from a dead-end driveway. Pull up close to the garage door, drop the plow and reverse. It’s called “back-blading.” Not as efficient since the curvature of the blade is working against you, but you can get the job done.

ahg

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 4x 2014 Accord V6
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It shouldn’t be much of an issue. I’ve cleared snow from a dead-end driveway. Pull up close to the garage door, drop the plow and reverse. It’s called “back-blading.” Not as efficient since the curvature of the blade is working against you, but you can get the job done.
That assumes that you want to do it right. There is a parking lot near me where the plow operator pushed all of the snow into the handicapped spaces making them unusable.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
That assumes that you want to do it right. There is a parking lot near me where the plow operator pushed all of the snow into the handicapped spaces making them unusable.
Oh, for sure.
Some people take pride in their work, some don’t.
I could even see some redneck plow driver piling all the snow on the chargers, just because! ?

OP
OP
Carsinmyblood

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I just came from our highway supermarket. Thanks to a warm day the parking lot is black, but the cart return chorales are unusable, and it's been 2 days.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
We're in the midst of our first winter with our EVs. Has anyone come upon a charging station that hadn't been plowed, poorly plowed, ignored?

Some of the chargers I've been to (admittedly only about 10 different locations) would be almost impossible to clear because of the way they were situated. Most are dead-ended into a wall or fence. Others are ripe to collect mounds against the charger box itself because the bollards will collect snow and ice.

If I traveled a lot in snow country, I'd bring a shovel.
My very first DCFC after I got my FE almost a year ago, I had to drive to my hometown for an emergency. The town has a DCFC station in a church parking lot near the interstate. The entire church parking lot was completely plowed clean, but the area in front of the charging stations wasn't touched and had about 8 inches of snow. They went out of their way to not clear those chargers.

I guess the plus is that they didn't push all the snow from the rest of the parking lot into those spots and really block them.

OP
OP
Carsinmyblood

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
My very first DCFC after I got my FE almost a year ago, I had to drive to my hometown for an emergency. The town has a DCFC station in a church parking lot near the interstate. The entire church parking lot was completely plowed clean, but the area in front of the charging stations wasn't touched and had about 8 inches of snow. They went out of their way to not clear those chargers.

I guess the plus is that they didn't push all the snow from the rest of the parking lot into those spots and really block them.
When traveling, bring a shovel.
Sponsored