Public Charging - How Fast Is "Fast Enough"?

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
I'd be happy if all charging stations could do the 150 kW level for most of the charging session.
That's largely dependent upon the car supporting that in the first place.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
About the same for me (36 gallon tank). Depends a lot on how long the credit card transaction takes to authorize and how many stupid prompts the pump serves up. The last time I was at Costco, it took 4 cycles to get approval. And I had to reinsert the membership card every time. Makes me appreciate the P&C concept!
Looking at the lines at all the Costco's, it must take 1 hour on average to save that few cents per gallon.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Looking at the lines at all the Costco's, it must take 1 hour on average to save that few cents per gallon.
Iā€™m not a Costco member. I was filling up my brotherā€˜s car for him when he was sick. I donā€™t recall exactly how long I was there, but it has to be comparable to DCFCing my Mach from 20-80% at a mediocre charging station.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Actually, you'd think that, but you'd be wrong. I've never had more than a 10 minute wait. Most of the time during the week, outside of commuting time, there's no wait. Also, people haven't figured out that if you use the pump on the right side lanes, you can pull the hose over the vehicle and basically cut the line.

When we drive on a trip, we find Costco almost always the cheapest (using GasBuddy). Inconvenient bathrooms (like Walmart and EA stations), but clean.

As to the discount, use GasBuddy and see what the difference is. Many times one can save $0.20 per gallon, or more.

Just looked near me.

Costco - $3.89
Kroger - $4.15
Meijer - $4.15
Speedway - $4.15

I can go to another Costco and pay $3.79.

My truck holds 36 gallons. Figure 30 when I get gas.

$4.15 -$3.89 = $0.26 x 30 = $7.80.

If I'm not going by Costco, it could be 7.8 miles roundtrip out of my way. Now, with gas $4.15 a gallon, assuming 17mpg with my truck, that's $1.90 to get gas. Breakeven saving $0.26 per gallon is 7.4 gallons.

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
For homeowners I am not super worried about how fast a charge at a DCFC charger is. Over the course of a year I would only use that maybe 5 times and current charging at the 150 kW rate is adequate. In other words for the luxury of being able to drive a cool car, save money on fueling (home charging) and the limited long distance trips I would balance the time it took to charge. The challenge is that I live in a region that has a pretty poor infrastructure outside of some interstate charging. Look up Clemson, SC and you will find zero charging that is adequate for any type charging (Level 2 etc.). The only spots in town require registration in advance with the university only during working hours and the chargers are all old and low power.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For homeowners I am not super worried about how fast a charge at a DCFC charger is. Over the course of a year I would only use that maybe 5 times and current charging at the 150 kW rate is adequate. In other words for the luxury of being able to drive a cool car, save money on fueling (home charging) and the limited long distance trips I would balance the time it took to charge. The challenge is that I live in a region that has a pretty poor infrastructure outside of some interstate charging. Look up Clemson, SC and you will find zero charging that is adequate for any type charging (Level 2 etc.). The only spots in town require registration in advance with the university only during working hours and the chargers are all old and low power.
Funny you mention Clemson. Just was there. Yes, there are not many Level 2 chargers. You can find them on PlugShare. The Hampton has them, but it's intended for hotel guests (we were). They just added DC charging in FairPlay, , and they have it in Lavonia. Ingles in Seneca has Level 2, also in Clemson.

Of course there's not much infrastructure of any type in that area. But Fort Mill is no where near Clemson.

Last edited:

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Around here, it takes about 15 minutes to get through the line. And the savings are significant.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
For our long trips, the DCFC speeds we've encountered have been fast enough (for an increase in SOC of about 50% to 65% in about 20-25 minutes). This will become less true as more people start using those chargers at the same time we would like to.

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
Funny you mention Clemson. Just was there. Yes, there are not many Level 2 chargers. You can find them on PlugShare. The Hampton has them, but it's intended for hotel guests (we were). They just added DC charging in FairPlay, , and they have it in Lavonia. Ingles in Seneca has Level 2, also in Clemson.

Of course there's not much infrastructure of any type in that area. But Fort Mill is no where near Clemson.
Yes Fort Mill is not near Clemson but we have a second home near Clemson (north in the mountains) and trips to Clemson tax the range and it would be great if they had improved charging on campus. I went there for a concert a few months back in my old MME and there is a charger probably 200 yards from the Brooks Center but I arrived late in the day so not registered to use the University chargers. I will be in Clemson in a couple of weeks and staying at a friends condo next to the CAT bus depot where there is a charger but on Plugshare it says that it is broken.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes Fort Mill is not near Clemson but we have a second home near Clemson (north in the mountains) and trips to Clemson tax the range and it would be great if they had improved charging on campus. I went there for a concert a few months back in my old MME and there is a charger probably 200 yards from the Brooks Center but I arrived late in the day so not registered to use the University chargers. I will be in Clemson in a couple of weeks and staying at a friends condo next to the CAT bus depot where there is a charger but on Plugshare it says that it is broken.
It is certainly a challenge. We live near a major campus, but you can't use any of their chargers during the working day, and many lots require permits either 24/7 or very late into the evening. Downtown has chargers in parking garages, if you want to pay to park and if they are open.

Of course at your friend's condo you can use 110v and gain ~30 miles overnight, but that may not be enough.

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
i would be happy with 120 miles of range for 15 minutes of charging. The mach e is so close in the summer but so far away in the winter.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
That is about 5 min longer than it takes to fill up the tank on my diesel pickup.
Yes, but also not apples to apples.

The Taycan replaces the same amount of energy of roughly 8 gallons of fuel in those 20+ minute fill ups.

How many gallons does it take to fill your diesel pickup?
Sponsored