Nkocur

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
A few months ago I noticed a slight creak in my steering when I'd leave for work in the morning. It would only happen once or twice then go away as I drove further. Well as soon as colder weather hit here in NY, that noise became much worse and even worrisome. Sounded like something was going to break at times.

Immediately got it into the shop. The noise would come and go but luckily the tech heard what I did. Turns out it was the axle shaft. The note from the dealer states that after some research they had found only one other Mach E to have had this issue. They said there wasn't a concern to keep driving it that way... Just really embarrassing for a nearly 60 grand vehicle.

This is from my First Edition long range.
Ford Mustang Mach-E First repair needed - axle shaft PXL_20211015_161319576
Sponsored

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
A few months ago I noticed a slight creak in my steering when I'd leave for work in the morning. It would only happen once or twice then go away as I drove further. Well as soon as colder weather hit here in NY, that noise became much worse and even worrisome. Sounded like something was going to break at times.

Immediately got it into the shop. The noise would come and go but luckily the tech heard what I did. Turns out it was the axle shaft. The note from the dealer states that after some research they had found only one other Mach E to have had this issue. They said there wasn't a concern to keep driving it that way... Just really embarrassing for a nearly 60 grand vehicle.

Did they give you an ETA to have it all fixed? I don't even have my MME yet but I'm curious what the wait time for repairs is right now with everything going on with the supply chain and this being a fairly rare car still.

OP
OP
Nkocur

Nkocur

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Did they give you an ETA to have it all fixed? I don't even have my MME yet but I'm curious what the wait time for repairs is right now with everything going on with the supply chain and this being a fairly rare car still.
It was about a week to get the part in and my dealer was able to get it installed within 3 hours.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Glad they could get it fixed in not too much time.

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium 4X, M3, Yukon
Country flag
I just posted on the other thread on this topic. I have 9K miles and this started happening (both left and right when pulling out of driveways and turning in tight intersections as of a couple thousand miles ago. It's going in for 10K work and recall(s) in a couple weeks. I'll post back here after they look at it.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As much as this forum is fantastic and offers great advice, the more I read, the more I have second thoughts about buying the car.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
As much as this forum is fantastic and offers great advice, the more I read, the more I have second thoughts about buying the car.
Then by all means, stay off all automotive forums. Seriously. Because there isn’t a marque extent that doesn’t have complaints of this nature in the forums.

And the MME is a first year model to boot.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Then by all means, stay off all automotive forums. Seriously. Because there isn’t a marque extent that doesn’t have complaints of this nature in the forums.

And the MME is a first year model to boot.
I bought my Macan at the end of the first year and read all forum items. There were certainly issues but not to the extent I see here.

all car companies need to do a better job before they turn their cars loose to the public. Probably more important for EV’s.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Axle shafts issues in BEVs are really quite common. Much more so than ICE vehicles. That component is exposed to full torque right away which can be very hard on the part.

That part is likely to become heavily developed in the coming years as it is the most likely point of failure in the event of loss of traction followed by suddenly finding grip again.

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag

Did your noise resolve after this fix? Some of us in the other thread are reporting the noise remains even after the axle / drive shaft (halfshaft) was replaced. Myself included. Dealer continues to investigate.

OP
OP
Nkocur

Nkocur

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Did your noise resolve after this fix? Some of us in the other thread are reporting the noise remains even after the axle / drive shaft (halfshaft) was replaced. Myself included. Dealer continues to investigate.
After I posted this, the noise/clunk was still there. I immediately called back the dealer and got it scheduled again, at which time they said it was now the passenger side shaft. I was skeptical at first but I can say that after both shafts were replaced, the noise is now gone.

It took around a month to get the new part in, which was a huge difference from the few days that it initially took the driver side to come in. In the period that I was waiting, the noise got even worse. I went from occasionally hearing it after the car sat for a while, to literally hearing all the time. Super embarrassing.

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
After I posted this, the noise/clunk was still there. I immediately called back the dealer and got it scheduled again, at which time they said it was now the passenger side shaft. I was skeptical at first but I can say that after both shafts were replaced, the noise is now gone.

It took around a month to get the new part in, which was a huge difference from the few days that it initially took the driver side to come in. In the period that I was waiting, the noise got even worse. I went from occasionally hearing it after the car sat for a while, to literally hearing all the time. Super embarrassing.
Ahh interesting, thanks. I joked around with my Service Advisor afterwards that maybe both need to be replaced. They had to order my part twice since the first time it never came.

I wonder if the part itself is different left vs. right, or the difference in wait times is just due to recent increase in demand for that part and shortages in general vs. when you first needed it.
Sponsored