FML! Almost sick about it!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
One should always check the opening of all doors, trunk, or tailgate when parking in a garage.
When I have two cars parked in the garage, I cannot open any of the doors all the way. And there’s no way I could open the tailgate with the garage door closed, so there’s not much to check.
Sponsored

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
You'll be fine until December. If any surface rust does start, it will come right off when they sand it down to refinish it anyway.
No need to worry, that rear hatch is a composite material, plastic and aluminum

Tony

EVFUTURE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium SR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Just for clarity -

When the fob is nearby and someone/something triggers the kick-to-open sensor, the trunk opens? Whether the vehicle is locked or not?

I assume this wouldn't happen when the vehicle is locked and the fob is not nearby.

Thank you

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Clear silicone caulk should work.
Oh no! Silicone is bad news when it comes to refinishing. Pain in the butt to remove the residue that soaks into the bodywork. Paint and putty’s don’t stick well to that residue.

Use touch-up paint if you are concerned about corrosion.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I have a Tesla Model Y, and set the trunk to not hit the garage door, we are to take delivery of my wifes GT this week, (fingerrs crossed). The first thing I will do is set the height. Also. make sure I do not hit my head on the tailgate, as I have done on my Tesla. Thanks for the hint on how to set it.
It's so simple to set that. Even I can do it. Mine is set low enough to avoid the garage door that I will hit my head on the liftgate. You can just push it further open though. Apparently though, I prefer hitting my head rather than push it open. ;)

A hidden trap on all these is the danger of the closed garage door. How close is the back of the car to the door when it's closed? If it's too close, people might want to consider disabling the kick to open feature to prevent cats, dogs, wayward mongooses, and the like from triggering it to open.

ChargedCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4XE, 2017 BMW i3 94wh
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I had an absolute heart attack moment about 2 weeks ago when I opened the tailgate with the garage door open. (I hadn't got around to adjusting the tailgate at that point) I discovered through sheer terror that, full open, I have 2 inches of clearance. Crisis averted, but I don't recommend using my method to check.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I had an absolute heart attack moment about 2 weeks ago when I opened the tailgate with the garage door open. (I hadn't got around to adjusting the tailgate at that point) I discovered through sheer terror that, full open, I have 2 inches of clearance. Crisis averted, but I don't recommend using my method to check.
I don't know why there is a problem. Is that because some garages have the door very low? I though they are more or less standard. I open hatch in my garage all the time, how else would I unload the stuff? And MME is the smallest car I ever had, so I wonder how people having this problem.

ChargedCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4XE, 2017 BMW i3 94wh
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I don't know why there is a problem. Is that because some garages have the door very low? I though they are more or less standard. I open hatch in my garage all the time, how else would I unload the stuff? And MME is the smallest car I ever had, so I wonder how people having this problem.
Some people have very low garages, yes. Others (myself included) have garage doors with a TON of headroom (space between the track and the ceiling). My issue is not when the garage door is closed - I have tons of space. It is when the garage door is open (and above my car) and I open the tailgate. Luckily, in this situation, I have about 2" of clearance.

Garage doors are usually 7' or 8' in height. A low headroom 7' door can be as low as 6'8" from the floor when open. The Mach-E is 5'8" closed, and I'm pretty sure the tailgate extends more than a foot above the car - which causes the problem for those with low hanging doors when open.

GABAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
Country flag
Oh no! Silicone is bad news when it comes to refinishing. Pain in the butt to remove the residue that soaks into the bodywork. Paint and putty’s don’t stick well to that residue.

Use touch-up paint if you are concerned about corrosion.
It’s not going to be much silicone caulk and the damaged area plus a bit more around it is going to be sanded down anyway so not a big deal.
I agree, touch up paint will also work or maybe even a little clear but again, that too will have to be sanded down for the repair.

Waps61

First Name
Waps
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR
Country flag
If we RTFM, then there would be no use for this forum. Better question is why are you so mad.?
I'm not mad, just wondered. Many answer can be found in the TFM. But I guess I'm one of the few that do read these.
Still enough to ask about the wonders of MME, so no jeopardy for the forum :cool:.

ThomF

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer-historian
Country flag
I have a Ford Edge and figured out long ago that it is a good idea to have padding where the lift gate would hit the bottom of the open garage door. I'll do the same for my Mach-e when it arrives (hopefully soon). Thanks for the reminder on this!
Sponsored