Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
shotgun ... replace each bit till problem identified. could get costly.
sure the electrician would troubleshoot his own work and find the right component.

reminds me of the guy replacing the fuse several times and wondering why that didnt fix it. :)
I suggested replacing the breaker because itā€™s been subjected to conditions that could compromise its function. He had already identified the root cause - improperly torqued connections.

Thereā€˜s nothing ā€œshotgunā€ about my suggestion or the troubleshooting done by the person I was replying to.
Sponsored

nuMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AWD
Occupation
eng tech
Country flag
I suggested replacing the breaker because itā€™s been subjected to conditions that could compromise its function. He had already identified the root cause - improperly torqued connections.

Thereā€˜s nothing ā€œshotgunā€ about my suggestion or the troubleshooting done by the person I was replying to.
My recommendation is a hands on inspection and take measurements. Not really a good idea to guess from an arm chair.

Any suggestions Ive made are possibilities, not definitive. Shoulda clarified that.

And use a tradesman, vs homeowner poking around. However the homeowner has more tips now for a more productive conversation with the tradesman.

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT - Star White
Country flag
This happened to me too. It worked for like 9 months, then the breaker would trip. I had an electrician come out (since the one that installed it, moved out of state), he found that a screw had wiggled loose at the plug and went into the wire. He replaced the outlet, all seemed good. Then after charging for 10 mins, it would trip the breaker again. He then replaced the breaker. The breaker had a little black burn on the contact. He thinks that all the tripping the breaker ruined it. Anyway, it's all good now for about 9 months. The electrician should come out and inspect. They usually guarantee their work.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
My recommendation is a hands on inspection and take measurements. Not really a good idea to guess from an arm chair.

Any suggestions Ive made are possibilities, not definitive. Shoulda clarified that.

And use a tradesman, vs homeowner poking around. However the homeowner has more tips now for a more productive conversation with the tradesman.
I donā€™t think he wants the guy who screwed it up to come back to his house.

OP
OP
circatee

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
Spoke with Ford today. They suggest using the 120v part of the connection, to see if it causes a break to trip. If it does, then, the charger is the issue. If it doesn't, then, the Electrician needs to check their work.

I will look into this tomorrow (thunderstorms at the moment). Albeit, it will be rather inconvenient to reach a 120v connector, from where my car is parked...

nuMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AWD
Occupation
eng tech
Country flag
Spoke with Ford today. They suggest using the 120v part of the connection, to see if it causes a break to trip. If it does, then, the charger is the issue. If it doesn't, then, the Electrician needs to check their work.

I will look into this tomorrow (thunderstorms at the moment). Albeit, it will be rather inconvenient to reach a 120v connector, from where my car is parked...
extension cord will create a voltage drop ... not to mention, I believe I read the circuit should be 125/20A

Just a heads up if the 15A breaker trips too after a bit. Might still not be the charger.

Pain I know ... but so many variables

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
extension cord will create a voltage drop ... not to mention, I believe I read the circuit should be 125/20A

Just a heads up if the 15A breaker trips too after a bit. Might still not be the charger.

Pain I know ... but so many variables
The Ford Mobile Charger is 12A on 110V~ so it should be fine to use on a 15A circuit. It is not fine, however, to use to charge a car daily at 32a on 220V~ since so many of them seem to have failed when used in such a manner. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT - Star White
Country flag
I use a Grizzl-e charger, but I did try a different charger to see if it made a difference. I bought one from BestBuy and it did the same thing. So I returned it and knew it was the electrical and not the charger.

OP
OP
circatee

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
In looking into an alternative NEMA 14 - 50 charger, there are so many bloody choicesā€¦

OP
OP
circatee

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
The Electrician checked all the connections and wiring. All is as it should be.
Post his visit, the Ford Mobile charger worked fine, for about 3-4 days straight. Now, it is back to flipping the breaker again.

Honestly, I shouldn't need to invest in another source to assist with charging my car.
Alas, looking into the Emporia unit now...

OP
OP
circatee

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
Emporia ordered, should be here on Monday.

It will be interesting if I have any breaker issues with this L2 charger, vs. the issues I am experiencing with the Ford Mobile charger...
Sponsored