Ford Connected Charge Station Issues (Electrical Contractor)

OP
OP

azruna

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Country flag
Having the same issue with another charger. Seems the 50a CB setting works and the 60a CB setting works. But the 40a CB setting doesnt work in either charger. It reverts to default 60a CB.
Even had another electrician look at it and we cant figure it out. Tried dip switches both ways as Jimrpa suggested to no avail.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Having the same issue with another charger. Seems the 50a CB setting works and the 60a CB setting works. But the 40a CB setting doesnt work in either charger. It reverts to default 60a CB.
Even had another electrician look at it and we cant figure it out. Tried dip switches both ways as Jimrpa suggested to no avail.
Not a perfect solution, but be aware you can configure the FCCS via the FordPass app to limit charges anywhere from 6A up to the limit set via dip switches.

This might be a workaround for you until a better solution becomes available.

OP
OP

azruna

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Country flag
Thank you, thats a good idea. I dont have a lot of experience with the app but that is something to look into. Would you mind sending the process to do that?
Not a perfect solution, but be aware you can configure the FCCS via the FordPass app to limit charges anywhere from 6A up to the limit set via dip switches.

This might be a workaround for you until a better solution becomes available.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Thank you, thats a good idea. I dont have a lot of experience with the app but that is something to look into. Would you mind sending the process to do that?
Write down the access code on the black front piece of the station enclosure. It's also printed on a sticker on the front cover of the user manual.

Finish installing the charge station. Power it up. Use the customer's phone to install the Ford Charge Station and FordPass apps from the store.

Have the customer open the FordPass app and sign into it with their account.

Now switchover to the Charge Station Setup app and complete setup of the station. It requires the access code that's on the sticker on the front page of the customer manual booklet, and it's also printed on the black front cover of the charge station. (You can see it before you've snapped on the outer white cover.)

Follow the in app steps to finish configuring the charge station. The final step will switch back to the FordPass app and add the station to the user's account.

Finally, go to the FordPass app and look for the following:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Connected Charge Station Issues (Electrical Contractor) Screenshot_20210617-133537

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Connected Charge Station Issues (Electrical Contractor) Screenshot_20210617-133635

OP
OP

azruna

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Country flag
Thank you so much. This doesnt fix the issue, but as you said could be a workaround for the time being! Thanks again!
Write down the access code on the black front piece of the station enclosure. It's also printed on a sticker on the front cover of the user manual.

Finish installing the charge station. Power it up. Use the customer's phone to install the Ford Charge Station and FordPass apps from the store.

Have the customer open the FordPass app and sign into it with their account.

Now switchover to the Charge Station Setup app and complete setup of the station. It requires the access code that's on the sticker on the front page of the customer manual booklet, and it's also printed on the black front cover of the charge station. (You can see it before you've snapped on the outer white cover.)

Follow the in app steps to finish configuring the charge station. The final step will switch back to the FordPass app and add the station to the user's account.

Finally, go to the FordPass app and look for the following:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Connected Charge Station Issues (Electrical Contractor) Screenshot_20210617-133635

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I thought someone posted on here before to ignore the 1 -0 printed on the circuit board and to use the ON indicator on the switch assembly itself.

Close but it's the opposite. The silk-screen on the green circuit board is what you should follow. Ignore the printing on the red block.

When I spoke with the Ford Engineer on the charger project he told me the original samples came back with the green circuit board printed correct and the red block didn't hav the "ON" label. But when they went into production ... they noticed the "ON" printed on the red block (which is not what they approved ... it wasn't supposed to say that).

SO... ignore the printing on the red block (other than the switch numbers) and follow printing on the green PCB.

Switch 5 should always be in the zero position position (opposite what is shown here).

According to the documentation ... If it is in the left position (as shown in this photo) then it is invalid and will result in the EVSE defaulting to 48 amps for the car ... requiring a 60 amp circuit breaker.

OP
OP

azruna

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Country flag
This is how I understand it as well. unfortunately on 2 seperate chargers the 40a CB setting doesnt work. Must be an issue with the units themselves. Has anyone else set theirs to 40a CB and it not revert to default 60a?

Close but it's the opposite. The silk-screen on the green circuit board is what you should follow. Ignore the printing on the red block.

When I spoke with the Ford Engineer on the charger project he told me the original samples came back with the green circuit board printed correct and the red block didn't hav the "ON" label. But when they went into production ... they noticed the "ON" printed on the red block (which is not what they approved ... it wasn't supposed to say that).

SO... ignore the printing on the red block (other than the switch numbers) and follow printing on the green PCB.

Switch 5 should always be in the zero position position (opposite what is shown here).

According to the documentation ... If it is in the left position (as shown in this photo) then it is invalid and will result in the EVSE defaulting to 48 amps for the car ... requiring a 60 amp circuit breaker.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
This is how I understand it as well. unfortunately on 2 seperate chargers the 40a CB setting doesnt work. Must be an issue with the units themselves. Has anyone else set theirs to 40a CB and it not revert to default 60a?
When I installed my Ford Connected Charge Station (FCC) and had issues ... the engineer who handles the chargers actually came out to my house to inspect and test my FCCS (I happen to live very close to Ford HQ). He personally set the DIP switches on my EVSE and told me to take a photo of it. He also pointed out the issue with the instructions on the green printed-circuit-board vs. the red DIP-switch block (the conflicting instructions on the green PCB vs the red DIP switch block was NOT intended and not what was approved for production.) This is why I am confident that you should only follow the instructions on the green PCB (he made that very clear).

If you configured the EVSE per the green PCB and it isn't working as expected then ... my guess is there may be an issue with the EVESE (these are made for Ford by Webasto).

OP
OP

azruna

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Country flag
When I installed my Ford Connected Charge Station (FCC) and had issues ... the engineer who handles the chargers actually came out to my house to inspect and test my FCCS (I happen to live very close to Ford HQ). He personally set the DIP switches on my EVSE and told me to take a photo of it. He also pointed out the issue with the instructions on the green printed-circuit-board vs. the red DIP-switch block (the conflicting instructions on the green PCB vs the red DIP switch block was NOT intended and not what was approved for production.) This is why I am confident that you should only follow the instructions on the green PCB (he made that very clear).

If you configured the EVSE per the green PCB and it isn't working as expected then ... my guess is there may be an issue with the EVESE (these are made for Ford by Webasto).
I did use the screen printed labels initially. Did not work. i guess we have 2 bad chargers here, as odd as that seems.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Not sure why I didn't remember this before, but I looked and found this phone number in my notes:

Ford Connected Charge Station Support: 385-415-5054

It might be U.S. only (I have no idea), but give it a shot! Maybe they can quickly get you to an answer on why those two charge stations aren't functioning properly.
Sponsored