Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Carbonized Grey, Audi Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
Good Morning All,

I took my car to the dealership to have 21B02 and 21B36. In case you don't know 21B02 is the recall that Ford issued that appears in your FordPass app. 21B36 is the update for the PaaK issue.

Dealership did the 21B36 update but could not perform the 21B02 update as Ford has put a HOLD on it. 21B02 is the Software Calibration Update.

Note you will need to be in the vehicle to do this and have the key fob with you at all times.

Regarding 21B36, for it to work correctly, as others have stated on this forum, you need to remove PaaK's from the vehicle. I HIGHLY recommend you do this from the in car screen (Sync 4) and not through the app. I deleted mine from the app and I couldn't even get the Setup PaaK to even show up in the menu after that. I opened up a case with Ford on this and 1st level support couldn't help so they escalated to 2nd level support. FYI, there is a 3 to 5 day waiting period for them to call you back. At any rate, since I am not one to give up, I decided to try some more things. I logged out of the FordPass app, removed the app from my phone and reinstalled the app and logged back in. I had partial success with that but PaaK setup would not complete. Back to the drawing board.

I then deleted my vehicle from FordPass, then logged out of FordPass, then deleted the app. Reinstalled the app, logged into FordPass, and re-added my vehicle. Now remember, I had removed the PaaK keys from the apps. To my surprise, I started getting notices that my two PaaK keys had been created and were ready to go. But setup had never completed since it was unable to download the keys. I thought this was interesting. So, obviously there is a lot of things going on at the backend and it takes lot of time for them so sync up. (BTW, you will get more emails and notices during this whole process than you ever wanted). Somewhere during the process, I lost my door key access code though I have no idea where in the process it decided to delete it. Also, Personal Profile sync's were crazy as the app would ask me to create a profile which already existed in the vehicle. I deleted my profile from the Sync 4 and then tried to add it back through the app but ran into issues there. Again, I blame this on backend processing being done and not in real time.

So, for the final try, I removed the PaaK's from the Sync 4 screen, then removed my Personal Profile on the Sync 4 screen, then deleted my vehicle from the app, logged out of FordPass and then deleted the app. Then I reinstalled the app, logged in to FordPass, added my vehicle back (don't forget, you have to wait for the authorization process to complete), then attempted to add my PaaK's back. This time, it worked. And for some reason, again I know not why, I was able to add my door key code back, too. I was then also able to send my Personal Profile to the vehicle. This was the process that worked. I have only tried the PaaK a few times since then and none of it when actually driving somewhere. I'll update this thread once I do that and let everyone know how the upgrade and Paak fairs.

I hope this helps anyone that is trying to do this after the update and saves them a lot of time and trouble.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PicassoPC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E CaRt1, 2011 Nissan Leaf
Country flag
My dealer said that they did the 21B36 update (I'm not very trusting of this dealership) - it changed nothing. PAAK is not any more reliable than it was since I bought this car. I really hope they get this fixed soon as it was one of many reasons I chose this over other EVs in the market...

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I do everything from the sync screen now. I have learnt to try not to confuse it and stick with the basics for now. When I got it back my profiles would no longer allow me to add a phone. I also cleared house but did not delete the vehicle from fordpass. I ended up with 4 keys for 2 phones at the end and deleted the first two. I called the reinstalled paak phones something different than the first and the first names I deleted. May of just lucked out but once app and profiles deleted paak setup no problem and all working well here this morning. Carplay even booted quicker.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Perhaps I'm just lucky, but so far PaaK has been working great for me. I just got home with the car Wednesday. Thursday took the wife out and set up her PaaK and it worked the second time we tried. After the first attempt we noticed that the car had turned of the bluetooth, turned it back on and everything went smoothly.

I've made a couple of trips out to test and so far it's working as it should, as far as I know anyway. Left the fob at home and was able to stop and start with no issues.

On a side note.......on the trip home I was not able to access the plug and charge feature. A day after I got home it came alive and showed the 250kwh credit on both of our phones and the error message I was getting on that feature has not appeared. I've not tried to make it work in the wild yet, been charging at home.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
(PAAK) Software is Hard.

NuAlphaMan

First Name
Bernard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Man, sorry to hear you guys are having issues with PAAK after the update. I had the update done yesterday and it has been working steadily. I didn't have to uninstall the FordPass or anything. The first time I tried it, it worked perfectly.

I've been trying it regularly and the car has responded. I've tried it both with the app open and the app closed. I've noticed when I don't open the app, I don't get the pony when I approach the car. I also had to press the button twice, but the door opened. I'll continue to test, but so far, the update has been a success for me.

Now, I have noticed one weird thing. My milage has been reduced. I'm doing a full charge and it's at 74% with only 188 miles. With 74% SOC, I should be closer to 200 miles (199.8 according to the math)! This sucks because on a full charge I had gotten 310 miles the last few times I full charged.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
have noticed one weird thing. My milage has been reduced. I'm doing a full charge and it's at 74% with only 188 miles. With 74% SOC, I should be closer to 200 miles (199.8 according to the math)! This sucks because on a full charge I had gotten 310 miles the last few times I full charged.
You’re still getting the same range. The GOM is just confused is all; perhaps from the update, perhaps not. Correlation does not equal causation.

But it is nice to see the higher range guess. :)

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
So it is looking like the MME might get was produced in June. Reading the release notes, this would not apply to the car I am potentially buying correct since it only applies to vehicles produced prior to May 1st?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Perhaps I'm just lucky, but so far PaaK has been working great for me. I just got home with the car Wednesday. Thursday took the wife out and set up her PaaK and it worked the second time we tried. After the first attempt we noticed that the car had turned of the bluetooth, turned it back on and everything went smoothly.

I've made a couple of trips out to test and so far it's working as it should, as far as I know anyway. Left the fob at home and was able to stop and start with no issues.

On a side note.......on the trip home I was not able to access the plug and charge feature. A day after I got home it came alive and showed the 250kwh credit on both of our phones and the error message I was getting on that feature has not appeared. I've not tried to make it work in the wild yet, been charging at home.
Good things come to those that wait ;). My paak also is working really well now. Once you have ran thru the setup a few times it is not a big deal anymore. 15 minutes to set up a couple of profiles/phones (adjust the seats/mirrors and hit a button). Hard reset is there also to reinstall clean. Mine is currently working a whole lot better; things are looking up.

You’re still getting the same range. The GOM is just confused is all; perhaps from the update, perhaps not. Correlation does not equal causation.

But it is nice to see the higher range guess. :)
Looking at mileage makes no sense and it will change like the weather ;) it is percentage that matters and to learn your consumption rates under different conditions and speeds. If you drive 90 mph and floor it all the time you will not be getting what others may. I have found 65 mph under good conditions will give about the epa. I loose mileage on the GOM when the sun goes down and gain it back all at the same percentage when it warms up. Temperature effects the GOM but your driving habits have an impact also. I have not tried driving 40 mph to see how far I can go; most likely I will not. I have seen some city drivers post good range so I will just believe them. If anyone needs more mileage just slow down. Me I am around 22 KW/100 Km or 400 Km 250 mi range at 20 C. I have seen 31 KW/100 Km at 120 km/hr and -15 C. Driving this thing has always been rock solid and range is good.

OP
OP
memcm_expert

memcm_expert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Carbonized Grey, Audi Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
My dealer said that they did the 21B36 update (I'm not very trusting of this dealership) - it changed nothing. PAAK is not any more reliable than it was since I bought this car. I really hope they get this fixed soon as it was one of many reasons I chose this over other EVs in the market...
Have you tried removing your PaaK keys and then re-add them?

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I've had it done. My PaaK maybe worked like 5% of the time before the update. It is now more like 98% of the time it works now. I may have to push the button more than once sometimes, but not often. It has been a huge improvement for me.

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I went to the dealer to have the 21B36 installed but was told it only applied to MME’s manufactured before May 1st.