Mullumbimby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach-e premium
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have decided to just use the portable charger to plug into a dedicated Nema outlet in my garage. Question: should I get the Ford cable for $500 or the Lectron cable for $300? Any advantages/disadvantages to either? Thnks
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You should buy anything but the Ford charger for $500.

Before you buy the Lectron, you should check with your utility company to see if they sell discounted EVSEs, or give a rebate for certain makes / models.

When I bought my first EVSE, I had to buy a ChargePoint or JuiceBox, and got $500. That covers a huge amount of the cost, and what's left is able to be used for a 30% tax credit. Net, under $100. I would hate to spend $300 instead of under $100...

If you're going to use a plug-in, make sure it's an industrial outlet, and that you buy a charger capable of 40amps.

COACH CHRIS

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Select
Country flag
Are you referring to Ford's mobile charger? If so, I'd avoid using as a long-term solution. They're known to overheat eventually and while Ford used to replace them under warranty, I'm not sure they still do. (Also, it maxes out at 28 amps. You could likely do better depending on your current wiring setup.)

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Are you referring to Ford's mobile charger? If so, I'd avoid using as a long-term solution. They're known to overheat eventually and while Ford used to replace them under warranty, I'm not sure they still do. (Also, it maxes out at 28 amps. You could likely do better depending on your current wiring setup.)
I actually used my portable EVSE for eighteen months without issue, but finally bought a juicebox 40 from my utility (with a $250 discount). The faster charge rate is a definite plus. Going forward with the portable evse now being a $500 option, no real reason to buy one.

mach-e-waiting

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Select and 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Leave the Ford supplied "charger" in the trunk for Emergency use only . High failure rate if used regularly. Also you can be very happy with a "dumb" charger with no Web interface etc, as the Car has the smarts to set Charging times, Max charge level etc. The Ford Pass app on the cell phone gives you info on status, number of miles added etc
I am very happy with the Grizzl-e, it has a very beefy Cable and the cable is long enough to allow charging for either position in a 2-car garage.

OP
OP

Mullumbimby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach-e premium
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Leave the Ford supplied "charger" in the trunk for Emergency use only . High failure rate if used regularly. Also you can be very happy with a "dumb" charger with no Web interface etc, as the Car has the smarts to set Charging times, Max charge level etc. The Ford Pass app on the cell phone gives you info on status, number of miles added etc
I am very happy with the Grizzl-e, it has a very beefy Cable and the cable is long enough to allow charging for either position in a 2-car garage.
Thank you for your responses. They have really helped clarify my situation.
Sponsored