Ford should be embarrassed about BlueCruise Updates

drjones32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
I've been reading all the threads and posts regarding software updates and especially the posts regarding upgrading the software for BlueCruise.

I have a Job 1 Mach-e that has not yet received any of the software updates to get BlueCruise. It has now been one year since I purchased the car and while I have received some software updates, the constant delays regarding BlueCruise are embarrassing and ridiculous. I love the car, but the excuses I keep making in my mind for Ford and the Mach-e are starting to wear thin.

I called two dealers near me about trying to get the BlueCruise software update service performed and they both told me that they could not do it yet because Ford hasn't given them the tools (whatever that means) to perform the update. Dealers, which are a whole other topics, are one of the worst parts about owning a Mach-e or Ford. They know less about the car than I do and every time I need to bring the car to them I am terrified that they will do something to damage the car because they aren't familiar with the procedures or cause it to be at the shop for weeks or MONTHS - as I have heard on this forum. It is one of the reasons I have not gotten the windshield recall done yet. I have no confidence in their abilities with the Mach-e or any electric car.

I understand why people on this forum have resorted to the "dangerous" DIY updates using FDRS. This is ridiculous - we should not have to be doing this. If there are issues with the OTA, why can't I simply download the update file(s) to a USB stick and then insert it to the car and let the car update itself? I would be willing to let it do the update for hours overnight. And if it is not that simple, Ford designed the car wrong - in my opinion.

I'm sorry for the rant, but it is very frustrating to wait this long. And, I understand all the early adopter comments - but Ford should understand that early adopters are their biggest marketing tool. We are the ones driving on the streets in the early days generating interest. We are the ones who tell others why the car is so great and why we picked it over Tesla. Ford should be doing a lot more to help early adopters.

TLDR: BlueCruise job 1 software updates are non-existent or a joke and dealers are the worst thing about owning a Mach-e.

Thanks for listening. <Deep breath>
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
FDRS is not dangerous if the right equipment is used and correct steps are followed. It’s exactly the same method a dealership would use to update your vehicle. I have a job 1 car with blue cruise now by using FDRS myself. Previously, I had never done any automotive updates on other cars. Some of the updates via FDRS are pretty much the USB method you asked for above.

It could take some vehicles maybe 5 hours or more to update using FDRS, but I don’t think Ford is paying dealers for that many hours. That is why they don’t want to do it for you.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
They should be embarrassed, but even if they are, it doesn't seem to make things go any faster for us.

trenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium
Country flag
I've been reading all the threads and posts regarding software updates and especially the posts regarding upgrading the software for BlueCruise.

I have a Job 1 Mach-e that has not yet received any of the software updates to get BlueCruise. It has now been one year since I purchased the car and while I have received some software updates, the constant delays regarding BlueCruise are embarrassing and ridiculous. I love the car, but the excuses I keep making in my mind for Ford and the Mach-e are starting to wear thin.

I called two dealers near me about trying to get the BlueCruise software update service performed and they both told me that they could not do it yet because Ford hasn't given them the tools (whatever that means) to perform the update. Dealers, which are a whole other topics, are one of the worst parts about owning a Mach-e or Ford. They know less about the car than I do and every time I need to bring the car to them I am terrified that they will do something to damage the car because they aren't familiar with the procedures or cause it to be at the shop for weeks or MONTHS - as I have heard on this forum. It is one of the reasons I have not gotten the windshield recall done yet. I have no confidence in their abilities with the Mach-e or any electric car.

I understand why people on this forum have resorted to the "dangerous" DIY updates using FDRS. This is ridiculous - we should not have to be doing this. If there are issues with the OTA, why can't I simply download the update file(s) to a USB stick and then insert it to the car and let the car update itself? I would be willing to let it do the update for hours overnight. And if it is not that simple, Ford designed the car wrong - in my opinion.

I'm sorry for the rant, but it is very frustrating to wait this long. And, I understand all the early adopter comments - but Ford should understand that early adopters are their biggest marketing tool. We are the ones driving on the streets in the early days generating interest. We are the ones who tell others why the car is so great and why we picked it over Tesla. Ford should be doing a lot more to help early adopters.

TLDR: BlueCruise job 1 software updates are non-existent or a joke and dealers are the worst thing about owning a Mach-e.

I feel about the same, with a job-1 that is stuck w/o updates.

While i fully understood that i would be an early adopter, and there would be problems, i was under the (totally wrong) assumption that Ford would:
- be all over those problems
- since there are so many dealers, i can take my car to any of them to get service if needed

In today's world, having a software issue for 5 months is unheard of.

I had another call with Ford customer service today, and they booked an appointment for me at another dealer , promising they will be fixing this issue this time (in 2 weeks). While it might or might not happen, i've spent the last couple of days looking at car reviews, considering what to do. If one problem takes more than 5 months to resolve, what will happen when there is another one?

one more interesting bit. while on the phone, the Ford rep told me that they have mailed me the update campaign letter and i should be receiving it soon. I asked, why on earth would you be mailing those instead of pushing notifications to the fordPass app, the answer was, good question.

Not happy.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
In today's world, having a software issue for 5 months is unheard of.
Ever own an Android phone? But seriously, the car industry is in a shift. It'll be interesting to see how it evolves, but right now, Ford is going lightning speed compared to cars a few years ago. At least that's my take. Unsatisfactory answer I know.

one more interesting bit. while on the phone, the Ford rep told me that they have mailed me the update campaign letter and i should be receiving it soon. I asked, why on earth would you be mailing those instead of pushing notifications to the fordPass app, the answer was, good question.
Because not everyone uses ford pass. I did receive an email that updates were about to begin before they did.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
one more interesting bit. while on the phone, the Ford rep told me that they have mailed me the update campaign letter and i should be receiving it soon. I asked, why on earth would you be mailing those instead of pushing notifications to the
Because NHTSA. There is work ongoing to change how things are done but until then the procedures are set in stone

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

Understand the frustration, but the updates are live now and coming OTA soon-ish. Not sure why the dealer told you that, I would find a new dealer or talk to the service manager.

OP
OP

drjones32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
FDRS is not dangerous if the right equipment is used and correct steps are followed. It’s exactly the same method a dealership would use to update your vehicle. I have a job 1 car with blue cruise now by using FDRS myself. Previously, I had never done any automotive updates on other cars. Some of the updates via FDRS are pretty much the USB method you asked for above.

It could take some vehicles maybe 5 hours or more to update using FDRS, but I don’t think Ford is paying dealers for that many hours. That is why they don’t want to do it for you.
I put dangerous in quotes because I have not yet done it myself and have read on here that there is possibly, however remote, that it could brick the car resulting in a tow and service. However, the more people on the forum I see having success with the FDRS makes me want to try it.

But this was not my point. My point is that we should not have to resort to FDRS updates which are complicated, time consuming, and require special equipment. Can you imagine if Apple or Google made it so hard for you to update your phone that you needed special software and equipment? We all paid a fair bit of money for our Mach-e and they should have put more focus on the update process so that it was seamless from day one. This is a weak point that Ford will need to address if they want to continue to be a serious player in the electric car game. I have high hopes that they will, but unfortunately I'm not seeing it with my Mach-e at the moment.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
both told me that they could not do it yet because Ford hasn't given them the tools (whatever that means) to perform the update.
This is why I’m scared to bring my car in for this update at a dealership that hasn’t done at least one before. They already have the tools, it’s just FDRS. Either those dealerships are staggeringly incompetent, or more likely trying to get out of doing the work.

OP
OP

drjones32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
I'm in EA and got my updates over the last 10 days. All good. Patience.
I feel like I have been practicing patience for the past year. I have been really looking forward to using BlueCruise since I bought the car. And the fact that you've received the update and I haven't advances my point. Why have some received (early access or not) and others have not? And worst, we have not heard one single word from Ford about when we should expect to receive it. I never received an email, FordPass message, or a letter. Communication for be great right about now.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

What you see on this forum is not a representative slice of the Mach-e population. People are here because they have issues with the car or are enthusiasts. That creates a feedback loop that compounds any apparent problem. So with that said, are you taking this far too seriously? If so, you might want to find another diversion or you might want to rethink the extent of your commitment to the car. The fact is that the OTAs for BC are coming and have been going out regularly. Is it as fast as Ford wants? Yeah probably not. They’ve been revised and changed based upon feedback from EA cars, such as myself and others. All of this caution is with a goal of having minimal failures and minimized unexpected consequences when it goes live to everyone. If you can’t work with that for any reason there are plenty of other vehicles that may fill your needs.

In the meantime, the vast majority of dealers are either geared up or gearing up to do this and the 1.71 for their customers that need it. I live in nowhere Hawaii and our sole dealer is able to do this update. Others will follow.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Because NHTSA. There is work ongoing to change how things are done but until then the procedures are set in stone
Not sure about this. The past recalls showed up both as a letter and a FP message.

Not sure of any requirement that information ONLY be sent by post.
Sponsored