Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium, 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
GOLFTEC Franchise Owner
Country flag
I recently planned a trip from Dayton Ohio to Hilton Head Island and the Ford Trip Planner gave me three route options...some longer (distance and time) than others. I had also plotted the trip using A Better Route Planner app which showed me the quickest route with charging stops. But when I selected the route in the Ford planner that was not the first option offered, and pressed GO, the planner reverted back to the one it thought I should take and not the one I had selected (my Navigation setting is for Fastest Time but I should be able to select any of the route options offered).
Does anyone have any guidance about how to get the Ford Planner to GO to the route I selected?

Thanks,

Dan
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I plan out like you did in ABRP. If ABRP and the onboard nav disagree about the path and charging stops. Then I go into the onboard navigation and enter the first charging stop, click go, then cancel the route (the destination is now saved in the "recent" menu), repeat for reach charging stop that ABRP says to go to.

When it's time to go on the trip, then I manually select the next stop from the Recent menu and charger hop one destination at a time.

Or you could manually enter the whole trip into the onboard nav by entering each charging stop manually, but I like to do them one at a time.

OP
OP
DanBGolf

DanBGolf

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
GOLFTEC Franchise Owner
Country flag
I plan out like you did in ABRP. If ABRP and the onboard nav disagree about the path and charging stops. Then I go into the onboard navigation and enter the first charging stop, click go, then cancel the route (the destination is now saved in the "recent" menu), repeat for reach charging stop that ABRP says to go to.

When it's time to go on the trip, then I manually select the next stop from the Recent menu and charger hop one destination at a time.

Or you could manually enter the whole trip into the onboard nav by entering each charging stop manually, but I like to do them one at a time.
Thanks, I may try that. I may also try re-entering my final destination while at my first ABRP charging stop and see if the onboard navigation system replans this route as the primary since I won't be on the one it originally planned from home. I think that ABRP is still very conservative while planning trips for MMEs until it accumulates more MME data. We'll see.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I've had Google maps do that for me too. I will choose a slower route sometimes if I want to go a certain way. Google will change back to fastest route if you make any changes to the route. It also will randomly try and route you over to the faster route mid trip unless you catch it and cancel it.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I have the same issue and suspect this is a bug. I set a route ... and did the "ok Ford... show alternate routes". It offered a couple of alternate routes ... showing the current route in bold and the alternates in pale blue. On the left is shows the routes with mileage and estimate travel time.

I picked the route I preferred and it switched to be the "bold" blue route. So I'm thinking I'm on it. But as soon as I close the screen showing me the alternate routes ... the car reverted back to the original route.

I did it again and this time *carefully* inspected the UI to see if there was something more I needed to tap to lock in my choice. I couldn't find anything more to try ... it doesn't work.

OP
OP
DanBGolf

DanBGolf

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
GOLFTEC Franchise Owner
Country flag
I’m an HHI resident with a Mach E on order. Out of curiosity, where did you charge on the Island?
I haven't made it there yet...heading there next week. I'll post again once I figure out HHI/Bluffton charging scene. From what I can tell without actually being there, there are several Tesla Superchargers but no non-Tesla DC Fast Chargers...a few ChargePoint Level 2 chargers though.
However, if most of your driving is going to be on the island and around the lowlands, I recommend you consider installing a Level 2 charger at your home. I bought and had installed a ChargePoint Flex charger in my garage. When I get down to about 10%-20% SOC I plug in overnight and in the morning I have 100% SOC with 300+ miles of estimated range. Hope this helps.

Old Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EX, RW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I haven't made it there yet...heading there next week. I'll post again once I figure out HHI/Bluffton charging scene. From what I can tell without actually being there, there are several Tesla Superchargers but no non-Tesla DC Fast Chargers...a few ChargePoint Level 2 chargers though.
However, if most of your driving is going to be on the island and around the lowlands, I recommend you consider installing a Level 2 charger at your home. I bought and had installed a ChargePoint Flex charger in my garage. When I get down to about 10%-20% SOC I plug in overnight and in the morning I have 100% SOC with 300+ miles of estimated range. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I plan to install a home charger. The only long distace travel I plan is a yearly trip to Orlando during the colder months just to get out of town.

So many Ohioans visit and live here ft and pt. I like to joke that HHI is the winter capital of the state of Ohio.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanBGolf

DanBGolf

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
GOLFTEC Franchise Owner
Country flag
Thanks. I plan to install a home charger. The only long distace travel I plan is a yearly trip to Orlando during the colder months just to get out of town.

So many Ohioans visit and live her ft and pt. I like to joke that HHI is the winter capital of the state of Ohio.
I have visited my best friend who lives in Hilton Head Plantation each of the last 12 Octobers, and I often refer to myself as a TFO...Tourist From Ohio!
What model MME did you order and when are you supposed to get it?

Old Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EX, RW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
2022 Red, Premium. AWD, ER. I ordered October 1, so I’ll probably get it in March or April.

OP
OP
DanBGolf

DanBGolf

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
GOLFTEC Franchise Owner
Country flag
2022 Red, Premium. AWD, ER. I ordered October 1, so I’ll probably get it in March or April.
Sounds like mine, only mine is 2021...with a light gray interior
Sponsored