Phoney

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium RWD Extended Range
Country flag
This is not an advertisement. I have no affiliation or association with the manufacturer or their agents.

This only works if you already have a 240v outlet in your garage - in my case for my dryer!

Instead of paying $799 for Ford’s hone charger plus the additional installation fees... or paying an electrician to install a 240v outlet in my garage, NeoCharge makes a smart splitter that plugs right into the dryer outlet and automatically switches power to EV or dryer when needed. Also has an app to allow remote on/off and usage monitoring etc.

Ideal if you leave your car parked up for extended periods (I’m a snowbird down in Florida) as Ford doesn’t recommend you leave the MME on charge long term unattended. Check it out.
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
This is not an advertisement. I have no affiliation or association with the manufacturer or their agents.

This only works if you already have a 240v outlet in your garage - in my case for my dryer!

Instead of paying $799 for Ford’s hone charger plus the additional installation fees... or paying an electrician to install a 240v outlet in my garage, NeoCharge makes a smart splitter that plugs right into the dryer outlet and automatically switches power to EV or dryer when needed. Also has an app to allow remote on/off and usage monitoring etc.

Ideal if you leave your car parked up for extended periods (I’m a snowbird down in Florida) as Ford doesn’t recommend you leave the MME on charge long term unattended. Check it out.
Not cheap though . . . $489

https://evannex.com/products/tesla-...Yx0rX081oyPMfBx-0oxkNLOfTHgBcCR4aAisJEALw_wcB

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Be careful. If you’re planning to use the EVSE that comes with the car, it will trip the breaker because there’s no way to step down the amperage.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
OP
OP
Phoney

Phoney

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Be careful. If you’re planning to use the EVSE that comes with the car, it will trip the breaker because there’s no way to step down the amperage.
Just wanted to follow up on this and say the NeoCharge unit does drop down the amperage and works great without tripping any breakers.
In 1 hr 15 minutes I was able to add 28 miles of charge compared to maybe 3 miles on the 110v outlet.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Just wanted to follow up on this and say the NeoCharge unit does drop down the amperage and works great without tripping any breakers.
In 1 hr 15 minutes I was able to add 28 miles of charge compared to maybe 3 miles on the 110v outlet.
How? The car attempts to draw what it's gonna draw. The communication between car and EVSE is with the mobile charger, not the NeoCharge

OP
OP
Phoney

Phoney

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How? The car attempts to draw what it's gonna draw. The communication between car and EVSE is with the mobile charger, not the NeoCharge
The NeoCharge app has a slide at where you can select the charging rate. See screen shot. It’s in my garage now and nothings tripping!

E215740E-BA67-4960-8336-57809E377DDB.png

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
The NeoCharge app has a slide at where you can select the charging rate. See screen shot. It’s in my garage now and nothings tripping!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Found an ideal home charging solution! E215740E-BA67-4960-8336-57809E377DDB
What size circuit (in amps) is this connected to?

I suspect this screen is letting the NeoCharge determine if it can allow both outlets at once, or whether it should trip its internal breaker. There's no mechanism for the NeoCharge to tell the Mach E to slow down. I suspect your circuit is just sized appropriately for the 32 amps max that the mobile charger draws

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Yes, but any EVSE can limit what current it will supply.

OP
OP
Phoney

Phoney

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What size circuit (in amps) is this connected to?

I suspect this screen is letting the NeoCharge determine if it can allow both outlets at once, or whether it should trip its internal breaker. There's no mechanism for the NeoCharge to tell the Mach E to slow down. I suspect your circuit is just sized appropriately for the 32 amps max that the mobile charger draws
It’s plugged into the 240v 60A dryer outlet. You can’t run the dryer and the MME charger at the same time... it switches

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Yes, but any EVSE can limit what current it will supply.
But the NeoCharge isn't an EVSE. It's a device that monitors current draw from two outlets, and has some logic to switch them on and off depending on your priorities and to maintain safety. It does not communicate with the downstream EVSE (because that's not possible) and it doesn't communicate with the vehicle (because it's not an EVSE) to change current draw

It’s plugged into the 240v 60A dryer outlet. You can’t run the dryer and the MME charger at the same time... it switches
So, that confirms what I suspected. You're not tripping breakers because your dryer outlet is sized larger than the draw from the Mach E. If you had plugged into a 30 amp dryer circuit you'd be tripping the breaker. The NeoCharge is not reducing any flow from the car

OP
OP
Phoney

Phoney

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But the NeoCharge isn't an EVSE. It's a device that monitors current draw from two outlets, and has some logic to switch them on and off depending on your priorities and to maintain safety. It does not communicate with the downstream EVSE (because that's not possible) and it doesn't communicate with the vehicle (because it's not an EVSE) to change current draw

So, that confirms what I suspected. You're not tripping breakers because your dryer outlet is sized larger than the draw from the Mach E. If you had plugged into a 30 amp dryer circuit you'd be tripping the breaker. The NeoCharge is not reducing any flow from the car
All I know is it works a treat. Now getting decent charging rate without having to hire an
Electrician or have new circuits put in. Also let’s me turn power on and off remotely or on a schedule which is great when I’m out of town for extended periods!

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
All I know is it works a treat. Now getting decent charging rate without having to hire an
Electrician or have new circuits put in. Also let’s me turn power on and off remotely or on a schedule which is great when I’m out of town for extended periods!
Oh no doubt, it's a good solution to avoid needing a second circuit. Folks just need to know it doesn't actually reduce current flow. You can't use this to use the Ford mobile charger with a 30 amp circuit, etc

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Your dryer outlet is 60A? Is it using a NEMA 14-30 receptacle?