scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Not that I'm victim blaming here (though it's TOTALLY going to sound like it, I know), but being born and raised in Virginia where our top speed limit is 70 (and even those are far and few between) and 80 is an automatic reckless driving ticket, what was the speed limit there where you were already doing 83 and then punched it to pass someone who was going too slow?! :)
I-5 has the slow lane doing 75+ outside of the trucks....
Sponsored

EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Dumb question here: have HVBJB failures been noted in non-GTs? If so, is the rate of failure different?
Mine failed a few weeks ago. No SVS or SVN until charging later after getting home. It must have failed when I previously drove it, but since didn't have the recall update applied, it wasn't detected until I tried to charge it. I wasn't driving it any harder that than any other day...

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Not that I'm victim blaming here (though it's TOTALLY going to sound like it, I know), but being born and raised in Virginia where our top speed limit is 70 (and even those are far and few between) and 80 is an automatic reckless driving ticket, what was the speed limit there where you were already doing 83 and then punched it to pass someone who was going too slow?! :)
So when I am traveling the interstate highways in VA (I95, I64, I81, I66, etc.), I set my cruise on 80 and I am frequently passed. It sounds like you live in a different state than me.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
So when I am traveling the interstate highways in VA (I95, I64, I81, I66, etc.), I set my cruise on 80 and I am frequently passed. It sounds like you live in a different state than me.
Okay ... So I looked up VA code and boy you guys have it rough. Not using your turn signal is considered reckless driving in VA. In California I think using it might be considered grounds for a mental evaluation.

As for speeding your law is:

§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.
A person is guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of 20 miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of 85 miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

I guess the benefit in VA is that it's just a fine and a misdemeanor. In California it's 5 days in jail minimum. For us it's also over 100mph so there's a bigger buffer.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Okay ... So I looked up VA code and boy you guys have it rough. Not using your turn signal is considered reckless driving in VA. In California I think using it might be considered grounds for a mental evaluation.

As for speeding your law is:

§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.
A person is guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of 20 miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of 85 miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.
They must have changed it. It used to be in excess of 20 mph over or 81 mph, which is sort of ridiculous when the speed limit is 70. Whatever. 80 seems like a good speed to me, and as long as I am not the fastest guy on the road, Mr. State Trooper will prefer him over me.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
They must have changed it. It used to be in excess of 20 mph over or 81 mph, which is sort of ridiculous when the speed limit is 70. Whatever. 80 seems like a good speed to me, and as long as I am not the fastest guy on the road, Mr. State Trooper will prefer him over me.
Just stay under 85 and you should be fine. Also, you have a white car which is the worst for Lidar. Darker colors absorb the wavelengths which is why they aim for the reflective license plate. So for those who have darker vehicles and no front plate the distance to lidar lock is much closer than those with lighter cars. This gives more time to react and normally a cop will move to another vehicle if he can't get the lock in time.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just stay under 85 and you should be fine. Also, you have a white car which is the worst for Lidar. Darker colors absorb the wavelengths which is why they aim for the reflective license plate. So for those who have darker vehicles and no front plate the distance to lidar lock is much closer than those with lighter cars. This gives more time to react and normally a cop will move to another vehicle if he can't get the lock in time.
You forgot about my deal with my lovely wife - I promised to keep it 80 or under. Sometimes I accidentally break that promise, because it is so freaking easy in this car. But not intentionally.

Oh, and radar detectors are illegal in VA. That is a total crock.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
In California driving 80 where limit is 65 is sort of ok.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
In California driving 80 where limit is 65 is sort of ok.
It's quite apparent that there's a lot of people from other states who don't understand how we drive.

California has a lot of laws on the books that aren't ever enforced unless they want to stop you.

Tinted Windows
Front License Plates
Driving in a bath robe
Speeding within 10-15 mph

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
In California, and in most states, you are allowed to go well over the speed limit to overtake another vehicle as long as it's safe to do so. Also, in California it's rare to get pulled over unless you're 15-20 over the limit sustained while on the freeways. 83 was my passing speed, not my cruising. Watch the video. Going 70 on I-5 in the fast lane would be a death sentence.

I knew this comment was coming. My speed has nothing to do with the car not performing as it was marketed/manufactured to perform. Before I purchased a GTPE I watched videos of it on race tracks.

Please move to the right lane and stay there 🙂
It is just a little wiser to destroy the defective HVBJB somewhere closer to home...... ;) I think

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's quite apparent that there's a lot of people from other states who don't understand how we drive.

California has a lot of laws on the books that aren't ever enforced unless they want to stop you.

Tinted Windows
Front License Plates
Driving in a bath robe
Which means the rule of law is becoming the rule of man. That's a bad thing, IMO. There are so many laws you don't know about and they can always find something to charge you with if they don't like you. Not good.

It should be back and white. Everyone who breaks the law should have the same consequences. Not that I want to be forced to drive the speed limit, or anything like that. 😂

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
It is just a little wiser to destroy the defective HVBJB somewhere closer to home...... ;) I think
Honestly, I got there driving the same way and I felt like I might just have a better variant. My car was one of the first off the production lines and I've got 23k on it with a lot of mountain travel and DCFC. Since I never had an issue I assumed I would be golden.

I didn't even recognize the SVS on the display for about 15 seconds. I was more focused on my Bacon Gouda and driving.

Rewatching the video I also noticed that I got SVS immediately following a pre-colision warning from the guy who cut me off and I got SSN immediately after plugging in my phone and Android Auto loading.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag

Tinted Windows
Front License Plates
Driving in a bath robe
Everything is relative. Cruising steady 80 mph is actually quite a safe (definitely not reckless) way if driving in relation to swarms of crazy and aggressive drivers that fill up the LA roads every day.
Sponsored