Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E
Occupation
Hacker
Country flag
I have had my Mach-E for about a month and the weather has been early spring-like (50-60F) until today when the temperature jumped to ~75F. After running some basic Saturday errands and driving about 60 miles I pulled into my garage unloaded the shopping and plugged the car in and came inside. About 3 minutes later it sounded like the old air compressor I have in the garage kicked on but I sure it wasn't plugged in, so I went to check it out and the active dampers on the Mach-E were wide open and the fan was on take-off speed. I had gotten used to the humming but the fans on was new and loud.

So a few questions:

Is this "normal"?
Should you wait to plugin if it is hot outside until the car can cool down?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgamblin

jgamblin

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E
Occupation
Hacker
Country flag
Here is a video of it:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I think the noises you're hearing are normal. The vehicle's managing temperatures of various electronics and batteries.

Ford recommends letting the car cool down before charging. The best way to do this is to set a charging schedule for the location where you typically plug in.

I have mine set for 11pm to 5am (these are the "super off peak rate" hours for my power utility). I plug in as soon as I get home. The car manages the temperature of the electronics and batteries, and then it starts charging at 11pm.

OP
OP
jgamblin

jgamblin

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E
Occupation
Hacker
Country flag
Thanks, will set the charge times... my electric company is a flat kWh charge so I did not setup charge time but will do so to just keep the noise down.

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
Mine actually did this this morning while remote started. Temperature outside was about -2°C. I was plugged in.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
When I got home last night from a trip to my parents house, I plugged in with 12% charge remaining. After a few minutes The fans kicked up full speed. This was the first time I had heard them. Even when DCFC they hadn't spun up like that. It only ran full speed for a few minutes and then slowed down.

I'm guessing the battery was just hot, because it wasn't charging at that time.

Quick-Start

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I think the noises you're hearing are normal. The vehicle's managing temperatures of various electronics and batteries.

Ford recommends letting the car cool down before charging. The best way to do this is to set a charging schedule for the location where you typically plug in.

I have mine set for 11pm to 5am (these are the "super off peak rate" hours for my power utility). I plug in as soon as I get home. The car manages the temperature of the electronics and batteries, and then it starts charging at 11pm.
I think you are wrong about the car electronics being hot. I drove 20 minutes at normal 90 degree Phoenix temperature. As soon as I plugged it in, the fan ran full throttle for about an hour. So I went to the garage, unplugged it and the fan turned off. I plugged it back in without any fan noise . Then this is where my video starts (if my 2 minute video will upload): I get inside the car while it is changing quietly. Turn it on for 10 seconds. Turn it off. Get outside and my fans are running full throttle. They would run like that forever if I let it. So to stop the fan, I unplug the charger. I put the charger back in my quiet car. Then the engine fan revs again as I am walking away. But then turns quiet after about 60 seconds, at which point I leave it alone to charge.

It like it's possessed by a ghost ?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I think you are wrong about the car electronics being hot.
I'm not sure how I was wrong? Car thinks it's too hot, if you plug in and your charging schedule permits it to charge, then it will run the fans until it's satisfied with its accomplishments... Or until some time has gone by.

In your case you state that it went on like that for an hour or more. In multiple tests in my garage, it went silent after exactly 30 minutes. Different garages, vehicles, software, and EVSEs, no doubt? But it seems like we're still seeing essentially the same stuff.

But to be clear, I had the max charge level set to an amount that was below the SoC. For example, I set max charge to 50% while the car was reporting it was at 62%.

One other thing I noticed, perhaps not related, is that if I allow the car to recharge from a 48A electron hose, the fan runs full speed loud. I've lowered it to 32A and it's far quieter while charging, except during the first 30 minutes (if it is coincidentally too hot).

I haven't had the fan noise TSB fix applied yet. (Nor any other fixes.)

Now you're just taunting Peter Venkman (aka @Gimme_my_MME).

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think you are wrong about the car electronics being hot. I drove 20 minutes at normal 90 degree Phoenix temperature. As soon as I plugged it in, the fan ran full throttle for about an hour. So I went to the garage, unplugged it and the fan turned off. I plugged it back in without any fan noise . Then this is where my video starts (if my 2 minute video will upload): I get inside the car while it is changing quietly. Turn it on for 10 seconds. Turn it off. Get outside and my fans are running full throttle. They would run like that forever if I let it. So to stop the fan, I unplug the charger. I put the charger back in my quiet car. Then the engine fan revs again as I am walking away. But then turns quiet after about 60 seconds, at which point I leave it alone to charge.

Hey! My Ghost is not possessed! :p