Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I’ve never owned a Ford so I don’t know how their AC system is.

I currently have a Chevy Volt and it is prone to causing a musty smell due to the condensation left in the AC system. I’ve read that it’s a common problem with Chevy vehicles.

In trying to eliminate that smell, about 5 minutes before I arrive at my destination I turn of the AC and just use the fan to try and “dry” out the condensation.

It works for the most part, but since it’s on Fan only when I turn my Volt off, preconditioning the cabin for the next trip doesn’t work well.

Generally, how are Ford vehicles with this? I would expect the Mache to be similar as other Ford vehicles.
my Fusion Energi is like this. There's a TSB on it but I never pushed my dealer about it since it works out fast enough
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I've been driving since the early 70s. My experience was that every car developed a musty smell if you left the A/C on right up until the time you shut off the car. So early on, I got into the habit of shutting off the AC (and upping the fan speed) about 5 minutes from my destination. The phenomenon was worse if you were on 'Max AC' (recirculate).
I still do this today religiously so I can't honestly say if my newer cars still have the issue. It probably relates to how well the evaporator compartment drains. If water is allowed to puddle, it will be worse.
I'll continue to do this with my MME - it's just habit - I won't even have to consciously think about it.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I've been driving since the early 70s. My experience was that every car developed a musty smell if you left the A/C on right up until the time you shut off the car. So early on, I got into the habit of shutting off the AC (and upping the fan speed) about 5 minutes from my destination. The phenomenon was worse if you were on 'Max AC' (recirculate).
I still do this today religiously so I can't honestly say if my newer cars still have the issue. It probably relates to how well the evaporator compartment drains. If water is allowed to puddle, it will be worse.
I'll continue to do this with my MME - it's just habit - I won't even have to consciously think about it.
OK, you have this solved. ?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Every vehicle I've ever owned always had that temporary musty smell if I ran the A/C for a while and then switched it off. But only for the next few minutes. And only if I switched to running the climate control with A/C off. Not simply turning the car off.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For me that's what actually causes the smell (turning off the A/C while still running the car & fan). I never have the problem linger after I've turned off the car and get back into it later. If I just leave the A/C on, I never have the smell. Even if I turn off A/C when getting back in the car later, it's fine. The issue seems to dissipate on it's own when the car is off for a few minutes, and the whole problem resets.

It's only turning A/C off mid-drive that I seem to get the smell.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
For me that's what actually causes the smell (turning off the A/C while still running the car & fan). I never have the problem linger after I've turned off the car and get back into it later. If I just leave the A/C on, I never have the smell. Even if I turn off A/C when getting back in the car later, it's fine. The issue seems to dissipate on it's own when the car is off for a few minutes, and the whole problem resets.

It's only turning A/C off mid-drive that I seem to get the smell.
Interesting...I should experiment with my current vehicles!
Sponsored